Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst of Tech in 2011

Xtreme Addict

Best and Worst of Tech in 2011

We put together a pretty comprehensive list of the best and worst things to happen to/in tech in 2011.

Let us know what you think

http://bit.ly/BestAndWorstOfTech2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

c[_]
    I was with them until they took an apple to the brain..

Best Company: Apple
    Apple HQ in Cupertino, CaliforniaOne company that is constantly in the news is Apple. The company exploded in 2011, with their product portfolio consisting out of as simplest product strategy winning hearts and minds of hundreds of million consumers, breaking the annual revenue in excess of $100 billion. Secondly, the acquisition of Bruce Sewell from Intel proved fruitful, since Apple is suing left'n'right on their mission "to destroy Android".

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I was with them until they took an apple to the brain..
    I was part of this decision process, we don't take Apple's to the head

The truth is that we picked Apple because they've driven the discussion in tech this year. Afterall, we did mention that they're trying to sue Android into oblivion and we don't necessarily agree with their methods. In the end, though, they're still turning in insane profits and getting the consumer electronics market to move to their tune. If they hadn't I would've fought for a different company more vigorously as I personally don't really like Apple and the way they are run as a company. But this doesn't detract from the fact that they're executing magnificently and dominating every single market they are in.

Also, I don't own any Apple products. never have, never will.
    I am magical.

Xtreme Mentor
    You lost me @ Apple. How can you promote a company that brings nothing, only steal from others and claim it as theire own and then sues theire victims. And screws theire customers. Something wrong with your product? NO, its AT&T that is the problem... oh and here is a rubber band for you inconvenience. Do you meassure everything in $$$? Where is your honor? Apple has none for shure...

Apple is a rotten rotten company!
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    You lost me @ Apple. How can you promote a company that brings nothing, only steal from others and claim it as theire own and then sues theire victims. And screws theire customers. Something wrong with your product? NO, its AT&T that is the problem... oh and here is a rubber band for you inconvenience. Do you meassure everything in $$$? Where is your honor? Apple has none for shure...

Apple is a rotten rotten company!
    thumbs up for that, here in central america Mac is even more expensive ... but the brainwash is extreme

Xtreme Member
    So best company was about money ? How about a company that provides a nice product with a pleasurable work environment, and treats its customers with respect ? (well that last part would kill most of the tech companies)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
    So best company was about money ? How about a company that provides a nice product with a pleasurable work environment, and treats its customers with respect ? (well that last part would kill most of the tech companies)
    Funny, I have had all that with Apple. The best service I have received, BY FAR, than any other customer service in any other industry.

People just hate on Apple mainly because they are Apple. All the excuses are just rationalizations to that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
    Partly, it had more to do with Money (sheer profitability) and the fact that they're dominant in the tablet and smartphone arena... This year has been HEAVILY marked by Apple driving the market where they want it to go.

I agree that they don't treat their employees that well, but they definitely do take care of their customers. Ask almost anyone that owns an Apple product, most of them are extremely satisfied with the service.
    I am magical.

Admin
    Apple's products are extremely popular for good reason whether you guys like it or not. They're not for everyone (most people on XS) but they are the dominant driving force in the mobile electronics market.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Partly, it had more to do with Money (sheer profitability) and the fact that they're dominant in the tablet and smartphone arena... This year has been HEAVILY marked by Apple driving the market where they want it to go.

I agree that they don't treat their employees that well, but they definitely do take care of their customers. Ask almost anyone that owns an Apple product, most of them are extremely satisfied with the service.
    Aha, ok. So do they deserve a tech award for that? I'd understand it if it was a financial award, or a marketing award.
    But Apple deserves no tech award.
    In the end Apple is a marketing company that repacks components and then tries to patent them.
    Last edited by El Mano; 12-31-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammar.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    and the fact that they're dominant in the tablet and smartphone arena...
    lol? Android owns a lot more market share than Apple in the smartphone market. Android owns almost 50% of the market.
    http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...r_Market_Share
    In the tabel area Apple may have had a lead with their iPad at first, but it is closing fast with Android tablets soon to take the lead if they havent already.
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 12-31-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maño View Post
    Aha, ok. So do they deserve a tech award for that? I'd understand it if it was a financial award, or a marketing award.
    But Apple deserves no tech award.
    In the end Apple is a marketing company that repacks components and then tries to patent them.
    I'm with you on the marketing company, but if you look at their latest tablets, smartphones, and laptops they're current gen on everything. They used to be the company that had inferior hardware and arguably superior software. Now, they've clearly positioned themselves in a spot where they arguably have both. If you look at the A5 processor, its a pretty powerful chip and its being used in both their tablets and smartphones which now make up a huge chunk of the company's future. If they hadn't done what they did with the iPhone and iPade we likely wouldn't have this tablet war to begin with. Apple drove the tablet market and arguably the smartphone market as well. Android has definitely been a very worthy competitor and they're both 'borrowing' from eachother.

My personal quips with Apple primarily lie with the fact that they are trying to sue everyone into oblivion and by extension are causing the prices of ALL competing products to be $5-$10 or more expensive because of the legal costs associated with defending against Apple. Not to mention the fact that Apples products are severely overpriced. None of these things seriously detract from the fact that Apple has put many Smartphone and Laptop manufacturers to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    lol? Android owns a lot more market share than Apple in the smartphone market. Android owns almost 50% of the market.
    In the tabel area Apple may have had a lead with their iPad at first, but it is closing fast with Android tablets soon to take the lead if they havent already.
    Yes, Android does have more market share this year. There's no doubt about it, but the ASP of Android devices is significantly lower than iOS devices, furthermore there is a much higher attachment rate to iOS devices and an entire derivative market which is purely designed to serve that market. When new peripherals come out for mobile, they still tend to come out on iOS first.

I'm a huge proponent of Android and I've been using it since the G1 came out, but that doesn't change the fact that iOS is dominant and has a much larger marketpower. There is going to be a shift, I believe, but there is still a battle that has yet to find a victor.

I'll reiterate this again, I have never and will never own an Apple product but there is no denying the company's influence and profitability in 2011.
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    Yea, Apple is original alright.
    http://phandroid.com/2011/12/29/appl...ully-familiar/

Seriously, they do nothing but sling around lawsuits and try to apply for ridiculous patents. Instead of actually trying to compete with the market they just take them to court and cry.
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

Xtreme Addict
    without steve jobs Apple will go DOWN. It may be luck that Apple can get good things in year 2012 and later. But with slump, misses Apple loses share and will eventually end up a troll company as Rambus. I will remember 2011 as last Apple year.
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasis View Post
    without steve jobs Apple will go DOWN. It may be luck that Apple can get good things in year 2012 and later. But with slump, misses Apple loses share and will eventually end up a troll company as Rambus. I will remember 2011 as last Apple year.
    You're both crazy. Steve left a road map for several years down the road that all Cook has to do is sit back and learn how it's done before he really takes over. Apple will be just fine for years to come.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Addict
    Snapdragon is the best microprocessor? Seriously?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think the article was more of a "most popular" or "largest gains" than "best". Still, good information.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    you're kidding me right? android was about 36 million tablets behind apple a couple of month ago before the kindle fire was released. since then, they've unlikely sold 10 million tablets(be honest here - we know this number is total bull). that means that apple still has 26 million more tablets out in the wild(be honest here - we know this number is total bull - they have DEFINITELY sold more than 0 tablets in the last couple of months).

no, android tablets are NOWHERE near the sales number of the ipads. the gap is NOT closing anytime soon.

Xtreme Addict
    Can't wait for the iPad3.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Budwise View Post
    Seriously, they do nothing but sling around lawsuits and try to apply for ridiculous patents. Instead of actually trying to compete with the market they just take them to court and cry.
    The only crying that's been going on lately is this non-stop complaining about Apple. While I agree that Apple has gone a little overboard on the patent applications, I'm really surprised that everyone here continually blames apple for protecting their patents. Seriously... how hard is it to verify your product is not infringing on another companies patent?

It's funny how many of the same people who praised AMD for suing Intel a couple years ago are the ones complaining about Apple.

.. oh yea. I forgot that smaller companies can't do wrong in their eyes.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    Not to mention that Microsoft gets off very easy here where they basically do the same thing, albeit in a different way. Let's not forget Microsoft makes a lot more money off of Andriod then it does from Windows phone. The patent laws may be quite insane with what you can patent, but that doesn't change the fact that Andriod is infringing on everyone else's patents, and yet Google can do no wrong in the eyes of everyone here.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    Not to mention that Microsoft gets off very easy here where they basically do the same thing, albeit in a different way. Let's not forget Microsoft makes a lot more money off of Andriod then it does from Windows phone. The patent laws may be quite insane with what you can patent, but that doesn't change the fact that Andriod is infringing on everyone else's patents, and yet Google can do no wrong in the eyes of everyone here.
    Most likely because unlike Apple, Microsoft goes and makes an agreement that both parties can agree on and thats the end of it. Apple never tries to do that.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokester_wild View Post
    Most likely because unlike Apple, Microsoft goes and makes an agreement that both parties can agree on and thats the end of it. Apple never tries to do that.
    Microsoft see it as a purely profit making exercise, Apple have a different agenda, but the outcome is the same non the less.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    The only crying that's been going on lately is this non-stop complaining about Apple. While I agree that Apple has gone a little overboard on the patent applications, I'm really surprised that everyone here continually blames apple for protecting their patents. Seriously... how hard is it to verify your product is not infringing on another companies patent?

It's funny how many of the same people who praised AMD for suing Intel a couple years ago are the ones complaining about Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    The only crying that's been going on lately is this non-stop complaining about Apple. While I agree that Apple has gone a little overboard on the patent applications, I'm really surprised that everyone here continually blames apple for protecting their fraudulent patents. Seriously... how hard is it to verify your product is not infringing on another companies patent?

Fixed
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast