Thread: Time to prep for Ivy Bridge. What do I reuse from my old loop, what do I buy new?

Time to prep for Ivy Bridge. What do I reuse from my old loop, what do I buy new?

Hi all! Been reading xtremesystems for a while, and finally decided it was time to pay the dollar and register.

My old Q6600 has been running like a champ for way to long, and its time to start prepping for a new build. I've been watercooling since the old AMD Thunderbird days, but until about a month ago I hadn't really been keeping up -- last time I was really reading, for example, Cathar's Storm blocks were the blocks to beat, Thermochill Rads were the best, and now Cathar doesn't seem to be around anymore and my Thermochill 120.3 is middle of the road.

My current build plan is to pick up an Ivy Bridge (Sandy Bridge E and Bulldozer just weren't what I expected) and SLI 2 Kepler cards or Crossfire 2 7970s, watercooling everything. Considering the delay on Kepler, chances are very good I'll be going the 7970 route. I'm planning on reusing parts from my Q6600 setup which has been running since those chips first came out (4 years ago?) if it makes sense to do so. I may get a few of the names of the HW labs rads wrong, but hopefully it conveys close to what parts I have.

My collection of parts includes:
    1x Ehiem 1250 pump
    1x D5 Pump (purchased from Danger Den for the 6600 loop -- any chance this could fail after 4 years of use?)
    1x Thermochill 120.3
    1x Black Ice 120.2
    1x Black Ice Extreme 120
    Multiple waterblocks, that I assume will not be reusable (Maze 3, DTek Fusion, Maze 4 GPU for 4970)
    Old MCubed T-balancer (not sure if this even has software for Win 7 -- haven't used it since the T-Bird days)
    Coolermaster Stacker Rev 1 Case (this used to be my file server, now will be modded for watercooling)

Things I'm thinking about picking up
    180.2 Rad of some form -- This could be a very tight fit at the top of my case, but it seems more appealing than throwing a 140 or 120mm based rad at the top of the case. Selection on these is limited and I haven't seen any benchmarks, but the 180mm fan selection seems to be better than 140mm, but I could be wrong and would appreciate suggestions.

2x Full coverage vid card blocks. I'm thinking Danger Den, but regardless will have to wait until 7970 / kepler blocks appear. I understand that running vid cards in parallel is preferable to running them in serial, but serial blocks seem substantially easier to route hose wise. Thoughts / suggestions appreciated.
    Ivy Bridge CPU Block. Probably going to have to wait on this one unless someone knows if Ivy Bridge will use the same mounting holes as Sandy Bridge.

Good Rez that can be used to bleed and fill the system, and potentially also have some clever way to drain the system. My homemade Rez needs to retire, so all suggestions are appreciated.

My current plan:
    Top mount the 180.2 Rad, Front mount the Thermochill 120.3, and back mount one of the Black Ice rads (the single would be substantially easier, but I might be able to get clever with the 2 fan model). I'd like to run the pumps in series, but I'm not sure it makes sense to mix pumps like that, and would be open to picking up another pump if it makes things easier.

Thoughts, comments, and criticisms greatly appreciated.

Xtreme Addict
    I have used the D5 pump from dangerden for 5 years now 24/7. I just rebuilt the loop, and when I opened the pump it showed 0 signs of ware, looks new inside.
    It's a beast and I would trust it for 5 more years
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ivy Bridge will use the same mounting holes as Sandy Bridge.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Copie
    And the same chipsets infact, the only difference between the 77 series chipsets and the 67/68 is native USB 3.0.

I am Xtreme
    T-Balancer software sucks so I honestly wouldn't use it.

I'd pass on the Eheim too. It is just way too damn big and not the greatest performer. The D5 would still be a good though.

The Fuzion isn't a bad block. Not sure if it has LGA1155 mounting though so might need to fab something up. I have seem a few people do it here before with not much difficulty. You'd have to search for the thread though. The difference in performance between the Fuzion and a modern CPU block isn't going to be more than a few degrees.

The radiators will still be fine.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I decided to skip picking up a 180mm rad after making some cardboard templates and realizing that I couldn't fit it and the 120.3 where I wanted to put them and still have room for everything else. Will be reusing all of my old rads and hoping its enough for dual 7970s and Ivy. I'm debating picking up a couple high powered fans (deltas maybe?) and putting them on some kind of controller that will let me keep them off until I hit a certain temp and then power them up. Not sure what controller to use -- the aquaero 5 looks ideal, but I've seen several posts with people having problems with them, and they are too expensive to take a gamble on.

As for the pump situation, I'll let the Ehiem go by the wayside and will be grabbing a Koolance dual D5 bay rez using my existing D5 and picking up another. Considering the problems people have been having bleeding it, though, I'm tempted to install a T line to do the bleeding and filling -- just need to find something that looks nicer than my old stained cheapo T.

I've pulled apart the old Stacker about as far as it will go and have masked off various areas for cutting. Might have to make a worklog out of it if anyone is interested.

Oops, double post!
    Last edited by Endgame; 01-10-2012 at 09:12 AM.