Thread: mounting rads

gschofield

mounting rads

I am making some additions to my cooling loops and I want to mount two rads together, with space between for the fans. Can anyone help me with the best way to do this? the bottom fan will be a triple xspc, the top a dual. Thanks for the help.

Xtreme Guru
    You shouldn't sandwitch rads.

gschofield
    I agree, but where the hell do I find space to install 5 rads. I have one triple mounted on the ceiling in the case, one dual mounted on the back, another triple on the top of the case. I need room for one more triple and one more dual?

Curious, what are you running that you need 5 radiators for??
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

gschofield
    Tri evga gtx 590s, i7-2600k.

br4dz
    You do not need 5 rads for that, unless you're going with 120 rads. A single dual 120 rad is good for an i7 2600k, and 2x trips should be good for those 590's, maybe add in a single 120 in the back for a little bit more cooling. Could even separate them into 2 loops. Adding powerful fans on the rads will significantly help how much heat the rads can handle too.

Noob Overclocker
    You know you cant use 3 x dual-gpu cards right?

Unless its something to do with folding / mining.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Xtreme Guru
    You can always mount some of rads externally.

gschofield
    they will be split into two different loops. I can only fit one triple rad on the inside, the rest are outside. I am going to go with three rads, two triple one double. still having trouble mounting the third rad. The top of the case (hafx) isn't the best set up to mount a radiator.

br4dz
    You could always custom make a radiator stand/box outside of the case to hold 2 or 3 triple rads. I know there are some pre-made boxes/stands for this already. Using QDC's would make it so you could move the stand easily too. Just a thought.

Xtreme Guru
    pitty though that from description it sounds that you already have those multiple rads. Of course you can make some radbox or buy one (#1, #2), but both are costly options in terms of money or time. If it were just buying/choosing stage, much simpler would be to buy single MORA3 since beginning, for external use. +legs & +shroud & +QDCs.

gschofield
    Shamefully...I have never heard of a MORA3??? I will do some research. I have quite a few rads yes, but some are left over from another PC I had with a cpu loop. I just want to be as efficient as possible and get the best temps. I have figured out how to easily mount the three rads. It's easier mounting on the top of this case than I thought. If I did have to add any extra I would have to build something externally to house them. Where would be a good online shop in north america to purchase a MORA3?

Xtreme Guru
    MoRa3 are big 9x120(4x180) or 9x140 fan rads in square 3x3 config. Even while some debate several ineffeciencies/wrongs in their construction (eg. round watertubes and higher pressure drop), they more then make up with their insane frontal area. If one needs single big external rad to cool everything, Mora3 imho is viable choice.
    But meanwhile .. as you already have all those smaller rads, you'd probably be better off putting some thought into how better use them instead of buying something all anew.
    Last edited by Church; 12-30-2011 at 08:27 PM.

gschofield
    Ok I found them online. Ya maybe in the future I will go with them but as you said I already have these rads. I just want to utilize what I have to get the lowest temps while overclocking. As you can probably tell I am fairly new to all of this. I will try the three rad setup for now. 1 triple and 1 dual for the gpu's, and one triple xspc for my cpu. Right now with my current setup of one triple rad cooling everything, I am hitting high 70's with Linx using all memory under load, at a 4.9 OC. I can get to 5.0 and 5.1 but the VCore is over 1.5 and temps are hitting low to mid 80's. I'd like to get those temps into at least the low 70's if possible. Maybe it isn't.