View Poll Results: Motherboard form factor (choose all that apply)

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard ATX

44 50.57%
  • Smaller than Standard ATX (micro, nano, pico etc)

26 29.89%
  • Extended ATX

11 12.64%
  • Asus Rampage Exteme line (Officially EATX, although not actually quite as large)

17 19.54%
  • XL-ATX

2 2.30%
  • HPTX

8 9.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which form factor does your motherboard correspond to?

Xtreme Member

Which form factor does your motherboard correspond to?

Hello,

I am currently in the process of working out a design for a water cooling case which I am hoping to eventually sell commercially. As a result, I am looking to get an idea of the distribution of motherboard sizes in performance users' systems. I have had little luck finding relevant results online and I would therefore greatly appreciate it if you could take the time just to pick one of the options I have listed in the poll on this post. :)

I appreciate this post is not entirely relevant to this sub-forum, but as I am really only looking for input from those who would use liquid cooling (considering such users' hardware requirements are likely to differ greatly from the norm) I thought I'd post it here anyhow. :p:

Also, do let me know if I have left out any options that are relevant to you. I am aware there are quite a few obscure server-orientated form factors out there that I have not included, but I am guessing that it is unlikely a significant number of users will be using these.

Chances are I will also be asking this question on other hardware forums I frequent, so if you happen to come across one of these other polls, please do also contribute by voting on those aswell.

Thanks again!

Odai.

EDIT: Just to claify on the kind of users whom this poll is aimed at, this case is designed for use with a system that has all the usual components water cooled. Ie, at least the CPU(s), GPU(s) and most likely motherboard. Airflow through the main system components would be quite minimal.
    Last edited by Odai; 12-28-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    EVGA Classified here, it's the same as Asus Rampage - advertised as EATX but really somewhere between ATX and EATX (it has only the ATX holes)

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    Ah, you're right. Just use the Asus option then, thanks for letting me know!

Xtreme Mentor
    If you can make the MB tray horizontal that would be sweet. Makes it easier to work on. Also, not so boxy would be nice.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

NooB MOD
    The one thing I'd really like is a wider case. Not as wide as the cube cases, but somewhere around 9 to 12" wide with at least 3" behind the motherboard panel (between the motherboard panel and case side panel) for hiding things.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Cruncher
    What Oj101 said

Xtreme Enthusiast
    3" behind a mobo tray would be enough to fit DDC pumps, wouldnt it?
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Maybe with the stock top... an aftermarket top with a 90 degree fitting on the inlet would be too tall unless it had same-side inlet/outlet on the side.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    Maybe with the stock top... an aftermarket top with a 90 degree fitting on the inlet would be too tall unless it had same-side inlet/outlet on the side.
    no, i don't mean top to bottom of pump, i mean side to side. I just looked it up and the pump footprint is 2.4"x2.4", so I could throw a res back there to feed the pump, some harddrives, fan controllers, and who knows what else.

though, on its side with a 90 degree fitting and aftermarket top would still be fine. tight, but fine.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Addict
    I must be the only one with SSI-EEB and that custom form factor of the Arima quad Optys. (I replied the same on Bit as well.) Just letting you know we exist.

Xtreme Member
    Hello,

Many thanks for your input guys.

@Utnorris, when you refer to a horizontal MB tray, do you mean such an orientation that the rear I/O ports are pointing upwards?

Please do keep those votes coming!

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Smaller than ATX FTW!

Micro-ATX Gene-z Gamer.

Mini-ITX HTPC.

Smaller is the future

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odai View Post
    @Utnorris, when you refer to a horizontal MB tray, do you mean such an orientation that the rear I/O ports are pointing upwards?
    I think he means horizontal as in desktop or Mountain Mods cases. I have one (extended UFO, horizontal brace) and i have to say it's fantastic. No more hanging vid cards, all cooling hardware goes under the motherboard tray... And it's very easy to access and maintain.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    I wish more people would create smaller watercooling case, most people don't even require more than a single 360 rad.

I am Xtreme
    Haven't used an ATX since I got rid of my AOpen AX4BS, been mATX ever since and as of late have been moving to mini-ITX.

+1 on the horizontal too. I have a Cubitek Mini Tank and while some of the fan locations could have been spread out a little better, it's been very easy to work on.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Many thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated.

From what I've seen here and on other forums, I have (for now at least) designed this case to support E-ATX and smaller form factors. Just a few issues to clear up now, and hopefully things will start to come to fruition.
    Last edited by Odai; 01-05-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The real thing is which system

Looking around my apartment I've got a few ATX, a few quad socket boards, some MATX ones, ect.

The ATX market is the most common but it's also the most crowded.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Member
    Just choose all the options that apply to you.

Xtreme Member
    I like Asus Rampage line of mobo, so for me I voted eatx. I will need more pci-e slots in the future, so maybe xl-atx or bigger.
    CPU Intel i7 930 3001A125 @ 4.0 GHz HT
    Mobo Asus Rampage III extreme 1208 BIOS
    GPU Asus GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II
    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH DDR3-2000 (6x2GB)
    SSD Corsair Force GT 120GB SATA3
    HDD WD Caviar black 1.5TB SATA3
    HDD WD Caviar blue 1.0TB SATA3 (2x)
    HDD WD Caviar 250GB SATA2 (2x)
    HDD WD Raptor 74GB SATA
    Storage controller IBM M1015 SATA3 RAID controller
    CPU Block Koolance CPU-370
    Radiator Phobya G-Changer 360 (3x Panaflo FBA12G12U 120mm)
    Radiator HardwareLabs Black Ice GT Stealth 420 (3x Yate Loon D14SM-12 140mm)
    Pump Swiftech MCP650 (2x)
    Case MountainMods Pinnacle 24
    PSU Enermax Evo Galaxy 1050w
    Sound SB X-fi titanium Fatal1ty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odai View Post
    Just choose all the options that apply to you.
    Yeah I figured. still though, I'm not hurt for ATX cases that are good. I'm hurting though for quality MATX cases that support liquid cooling. And for the larger items I have that are dual or quad socket boards I just said it and rack mounted the bastards to external cooling!
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There are some crazy people who would like SWTX

Xtreme Member
    personally, i wouldnt design a mobo tray/case without having htpx compatibility. it gives any person the option to either use a board that size, install extra usb ports from onboard headers, pass-thru for water cooling, etc. there's something to be said for having the ability to expand and not using it, as opposed to wanting to expand and needing another case to do so. my 2cents.