Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First glimpse at the EK-FC7970

Hybrid View

-100c Club

EK-FC7970, -7970 DCII & -7950 official thread

Thermals and hydraulic to follow, will be available in all four versions, optional single-slot bracket. Ktnxbai!

Last edited by tiborrr; 02-29-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Banned
    2x6 pins
    is this hd7950?

-100c Club
    Dunno what this is, I know it's early alpha board with 6+6 instead of 6+8. Everything else is legit

Can we expect a plexi version on launch?

-100c Club
    Indeed, all four versions (copper plexi, copper acetal, EN plexi, EN acetal) are going to be released simultaneously.

is there a reason that the metal plate is not polished up at all, the rest looks nice, but can we get an internal shot.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

-100c Club
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    is there a reason that the metal plate is not polished up at all, the rest looks nice, but can we get an internal shot.
    Yes, the plate was a sample directly from the machine with no protection film on each side No internal shots just yet, these will follow next week

@Arctunual: Yes, this one is for the reference HD7970 cards.

Visible metal parts on a waterblock is the number one reason I always buy EK waterblocks... Because they don't have metal parts exposed. This one does and it doesn't add to the aesthetics of the block in my opinion. I prefer a clean acetal/plexi only cover. The metal plate is acceptable on black acetal but I think it'll look terrible on a plexi block. As I was planning to upgrade to a HD7970 from a HD5850 I hope the plexi block wont have this metal exposed. I'd hate to buy an other brands waterblock.

Also, on every new block I see more and more incisions (at the PCI bus). This adds to the "gamer" look but makes the block less "neat" or clean. If something doesn't add to the peformance and doesn't really add to the aesthetics either then why add it? I think EK is trying to outdo itself design wise.
    Last edited by TJ Tom; 12-29-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Imho it might look interesting to replace just metal part with something transparent, maybe with led.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Imho it might look interesting to replace just metal part with something transparent, maybe with led.
    My guess would be that it needs to be thin to let the water hop over components and get to the vrms. You can see the copper is interrupted in this section. If it is required to be thin you couldn't replace it with plastic. You could paint it though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    My guess would be that it needs to be thin to let the water hop over components and get to the vrms. You can see the copper is interrupted in this section. If it is required to be thin you couldn't replace it with plastic. You could paint it though.

tiborrr are those waterblocks for reference HD7970?

I like the "stripe touch" there, overall a good design. Any internals? Too bad i just setteled with a 6970+EK FC6970V2, or I would concider this

I am Xtreme
    fact: stripes makes things go faster

looks good to me though, awaiting pictures of other versions and internals/back.
    i was worried about the PCB being red instead of black, but now i kinda like the red since it accents the black nicely (and my build is red/black anyway)
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    fact: stripes makes things go faster
    and dramatically increase dust collecting and adds more pain to clean stuff up

Says the guy who prefers red PCB over black PCB... I think the whole community can disagree on that one. Red PCB was for the 90's :p

Anyway, the way the block looks now I don't think I will considder it. I'm going to wait for the plexi version though, maybe the stripes aren't as obvious and the overall look will be better? Metal plate must go though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Unless you are using some of those Silverstone cases, I dont think your going to be able to see the WB anyway...

Copie
    Quote Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
    Unless you are using some of those Silverstone cases, I dont think your going to be able to see the WB anyway...
    Or if you have an inverted board design, then they are very much visible.

Reference board is black and 6+8 pin, i know cause i have one pumping my rig today.

Quote Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
    I have a TJ07 and it's inverted so the waterblock top is pretty much all I see

Xtreme Member
    According to EK response on Facebook, this is early production board, thus the 2 x 6pin pci-e and red pcba! I had a couple of bad experiences with EK blocks recently due to the removable standoff's, why do EK persist in making waterblocks like this? AquaTuning are also taking preorders for their block. I expect to see more as we get closer to 9 Jan. I am finally upgrading my gpu solution to a single 7970 and watercooling it. It looks like this 28nm gpu is going to be a serious overclocker. I have read reports of the core easily hitting the overdrive limits of 1.175ghz...

Single card with performance close to 6950's in Xfire, yes please....

Aqua Computer Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutronman View Post
    AquaTuning are also taking preorders for their block.
    Aquatuning != Aqua Computer
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    Aquatuning != Aqua Computer
    Isn't this an EK thread?

Scandalous!
    Never, under any circumstances should you be naked near fishing tackle.

Xtreme Member
    Can we expect these to be released around the same time as the 7970's?

Xtreme Member
    What about the 7950?

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast