Thread: Laptop Suggestions

Xtreme Cruncher

Laptop Suggestions

Hey guys,

I originally posted this in the WCG section over here as that is where I normally hang out, but I though you guys probably know the mobile arena better so I should ask here as well.

Hey guys,

I got another question for ya'll... I'm looking for a new laptop as my current one's internet card went out, and seeing as it's battery is less than stellar, it probably isn't worth getting fixed...

Because of the mobility it needs, I was really looking at ultrabooks, or almost ultrabooks, my favorite so far being the Lenovo U300 for $800 - which I probably would have already bought if I could find it in stock. (Not the U300S for $1100, some websites leave of the S but still have the $1100 price tag... I'd love it, but can't afford it)

I'm really looking for something very mobile (less than 5 lbs preferable) with good battery life (5+ hours) for less than $900. The other specs are none to restrictive as it doesn't need to be a real performer, just equal or better to what I have now - c2d T5550 @ 1.83GHz with 4GB of Ram and >100GB HDD. (SSD would also be cool, but not a necessity)

I don't really know the mobile arena too well, so do you guys have any suggestions or know of any Christmas/new years deals?

Thanks in advance!

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Member
    you could try u46sv...either with or without gpu. its a little on the heavy side (around 5 lbs) but it can get 7-8 hours of battery and if you get the gpu you'll have a decent midrange gt540. 8gb of ram is standard, too.
    correct me if I'm wrong...

at the $800 range there is the acer timelineX, they do 10hours standard and 12ish if u put an ssd in it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm looking for something really thin, and very light.

Yesterday I grabbed a Acer S3-6646. Still waiting to open it to see if I can find a better model in the next 15 days, but that's what I'm looking for. Performance on this one is not necessary.

Any more suggestions?

I am Xtreme
    I was looking at the Samsung Series 9, though it is Recertified/Refurbished and I don't know what that means? It seems to fall in the ultrabook category being just under 3 lbs and for all I know there could be a reason newegg got a bunch back . But the wife needs a new laptop
    [SIGPIC]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/wcgsig/566162.gif[/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm looking for something really thin, and very light.

Yesterday I grabbed a Acer S3-6646. Still waiting to open it to see if I can find a better model in the next 15 days, but that's what I'm looking for. Performance on this one is not necessary.

Any more suggestions?
    Anything but the S3. You want something portable but the S3 skimps on build quality and touchpad responsiveness. The screen ain't a nice one, either.
    Even Acer's TimelineX is a better choice.

http://www.amazon.com/U31SD-AH51-13-..._ob_pc_title_2

The U31 has been around for a bit, but compared to the ultrabooks it's a faster, better built, longer lasting (battery) and cheaper choice. At 4lbs it's still quite portable...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
    I was looking at the Samsung Series 9, though it is Recertified/Refurbished and I don't know what that means? It seems to fall in the ultrabook category being just under 3 lbs and for all I know there could be a reason newegg got a bunch back . But the wife needs a new laptop
    I think this might be the first batch of the Series 9- nothing wrong with them asides from a rather pathetic Wifi chip that can't handle great distances or better speeds.
    After complaints, the refreshed models (better CPU/SSD specs) had a different chip.
    But for 920USD, you're getting one of the better 1366*768 screens ever known to man- even though it is 1366*768.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
    Refurbished means either someone else had it first and returned it as broken, they fixed it up and are selling it again, or it simply didn't pass their internal quality checks and had to be sent back and fixed before it could be sold...

Unfortunately, even refurbished that's above my limit... the $900 is a hard limit. I'm looking more for $700 but could go up to 900. Sorry, I should have been clearer... I'm drugged up and the moment and not thinking to clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    Anything but the S3. You want something portable but the S3 skimps on build quality and touchpad responsiveness. The screen ain't a nice one, either.
    Even Acer's TimelineX is a better choice.

http://www.amazon.com/U31SD-AH51-13-..._ob_pc_title_2

The U31 has been around for a bit, but compared to the ultrabooks it's a faster, better built, longer lasting (battery) and cheaper choice. At 4lbs it's still quite portable...
    Really? Huh... when I held it in my hands it seemed pretty solid. I didn't really think that much about the screen though - are you just commenting on the fact that it's 1366 x 768 or is there something inherently wrong with it?

And the weight and size are more important for this than performance... so I'd be hard pressed to add an extra 33% in weight and thickness unless there was a real problem?

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/10/14/2...trabook-review here you go.

The main killer I'd say, is the battery. 4 hours isn't going to cut it for something this thin- lugging the power everywhere makes it inherently less portable.
    (and that keyboard... eep! for really great keyboards though, get Lenovo stuff- they know what they're doing)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ok, so now you got me thinking... is the samsung series 9 that CaptMorgan linked to significantly better?

Now that I'm thinking a little more clearly I'm curious... But honestly that's the only other one that i've really liked, the others are either too big, too thick or too expensive...

And what's you guy's view on refurbished?

Xtreme Addict
    You're going from ugly duckling (the S3 looks very, very derivative, in a wrong way) to an extremely nice looking laptop lol.

Battery life's slightly better, but the big bonuses are the keyboard/touchpad, screen, sound and build. Definitely worth the extra.

As for refurbs... I won't get a refurb model for a low-end plastic notebook- or one with a GPU/Standard voltage CPU, those tend to indicate potential problems.
    But a ULV CPU and SSD = no physical moving parts, so you should be almost fine if you don't mind the Wi-fi possibly being a bit quirky (again this is just hearsay when I skimmed through some amazon reviews). And the whole notebook is alloyed, so shouldn't have signs of wear/tear.

(Now damnit, I want one myself too )

Xtreme Cruncher
    So I ran by Microcenter today just to compare the two side by side... and I gotta say, I actually liked the S3 better. idk why it gets such a bad rap. Sure it has some shortcomings, but it's significantly cheaper than anything else that compares.

The Samsung Series 9 had a nicer keyboard, but I wasn't a fan of the overall look of it. Plus, it was a true finger print magnet. (not that that really matters that much) Really it comes down to the S3 is thinner, lighter and has more storage while the Samsung has a slightly nicer screen, a better battery life and true SSD, but costs significantly more.

I'm planning on sticking with the S3 for now and in a year or so swapping out the Hybrid HDD/SSD for a true SSD. Thanks for all you guy's help, and sorry for being so d*** stubborn.

Also, a note: The Samsung Series 9 has a standard voltage CPU. Doesn't make sense to me as to why, but it does.

Xtreme Member
    you're honestly better off going to an actual notebook review site if you want the best options presented to you.

the samsung series 9 aren't ultrabooks. some users NEED the extra power/don't want to risk hitting a CPU wall.

Xtreme Addict
    They do use LV cpus (17W too)... you're probably thinking of the VAIO Z.
    The Series 9 is technically not an ultrabook though, its release precedes the usage of the term by Intel.

I am Xtreme
    Yes Macadamia is correct but the series 9 is light as heck and mobile for sure. Always typical to get conflicting reviews, one says battery life to be 4-5 hours where another says 6-8. I do understand the desired use always affects those tests
    [SIGPIC]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/wcgsig/566162.gif[/SIGPIC]