Thread: Phenom x8- indecisive AMD?

Xtreme Addict

Phenom x8- indecisive AMD?

BIOS updates for mainboards made by Elitegroup Computer Systems and Jetway reveal that Advanced Micro Devices may be preparing a new line of multi-core microprocessors called Phenom II X8. Based on alleged specifications of the products, the new central processing units (CPUs) will be aimed at cost-sensitive segment of the market.
    More info at http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...rocessors.html

So AMD might be planning 8core phenomes, I have to say this is a weak choice. AMD understands they cant compete in the $300+cpu segment, so they saturate the budget segment to compensate? There were rumors about a 10core FX but they seem to be going backwards..2012 will be make it or break it.
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

i dont think that they would do a 10 core chip as it needs 2 BD modules per l3 cluster, amd really needs faster cashe over more cores.

and amd always has had a low cashe model, this could be the athlon of the am2+/3
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Legend

Xtreme 3D Team
    XD

I'm sure you're doing a double facepalm at all of this
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually, if you check dates, the date of that Thread is 18/12/2011, while the japanese blog that X-Bit Labs picked it from is 21/12/2011, a whole 3 days latter. Chile Hardware also posted a fail news on this a few days ago because they referenced the Thread here and didn't bother to check than the conclusion was that they were earlier Engineering Samples due to the Stepping and the OPN format (Starting with a Z). Detail that neither Chile Hardware nor X-Bit Labs mentioned.