Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE's mobo X79-UD3 happens self-ignition and burning!

Xtreme Enthusiast

GIGABYTE's mobo X79-UD3 happens self-ignition and burning!

Today an end-user (japan0827) who comes from Taiwan.

He unboxed the X79-UD3 mobo yesterday but when he wants to keep going
    test about the mobo,suddenly amazing event happened!

The mobo X79-UD3 happens self-ignition and burn by it self!

He uses video camera and pictures capture to record all evidences!

PIC

Video

Please have a look! and original link!
    http://www.xfastest.com/thread-69517-1-1.html
    Last edited by sxs112; 12-21-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Memory Addict
    woah... that's crazy!

X79 VRM need cooling heh

Last edited by eva2000; 12-21-2011 at 06:54 AM.
    ---

Xtreme Guru
    IMO, that's sort of his own fault, particularly when we don't know the backround story (ie: voltages, clock speeds, etc).

ANY heatsink is in place to dissipate heat through the use of airflow. In a computer case, there's airflow moving over them which is why most people clue into the fact that out of case testing needs the same type of air movement.

See EVA2000's response above. That's the SMART way to do open system testing. In the video above, you see the clueless way.

-100c Club
    Yeah, no airflow over the VRM results in toasty consequences

I am Xtreme
    its not his fault. stupid gigabutt product.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    its not his fault. stupid gigabutt product.
    It's like blaming Intel for a CPU catching fire because you didn't put a fan on the heatsink. Or perhaps suing McDonalds after dumping a hot cup of coffee in your lap. Thank god a higher court overturned the verdict and she didn't get a dime of the $3 million award.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Ive heard the McDonalds coffee thing for years and didnt know the woman didnt get the money, so thats cool!

if he didnt have airflow on his MOBO then it would be an unfortunate result of natural selection

Xtreme Addict
    Wonder how the "warr return" will work out on this?????
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    It's like blaming Intel for a CPU catching fire because you didn't put a fan on the heatsink. Or perhaps suing McDonalds after dumping a hot cup of coffee in your lap. Thank god a higher court overturned the verdict and she didn't get a dime of the $3 million award.
    the motherboard had a heatsink.

Xtreme Member
    Ever since time begun it has been known amongst overclockers that if you use water cooling you have to provide additional airflow around the VRM area, and if you are benchmarking or stability testing then are are looking at even greater load and heat which requires even greater VRM cooling.
    What happened to that guy is a common mistake that newbies make.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd say it was more likely a faulty vrm or whatever that smd that blew off is (can't remember if brown smd bricks are resistor or capacitor).

Or, the fact that its a UD3, not a UD7, and may have been pushed a bit harder than it should have been without a fan on the VRM (as people have already mentioned). I'm not seeing this as being the fault of the manufacturer per-se. It's like me putting nitrous in a honda civic and expecting it to be fine (the analogy being- even though I have some cursory knowledge, I'm a noob at adding nitrous and the honda civic is an entry-level vehicle not made for those sorts of stresses).
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    the motherboard had a heatsink.
    most of the time the manufacturer would install heatsinks with them intending to have some air flow of some kind usually from case fans etc
    ---

Xtreme Member
    Yes the heatsink will absorb the heat at the start, but once the metal reaches the same temperature as the heat source, there will be no cooling from the heatsink unless air blows at it to remove the heat.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    defect board out of the box maybe, it not supose to be but sometimes it happen, no luck ...
    The Devil's Reject

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_chill View Post
    Yes the heatsink will absorb the heat at the start, but once the metal reaches the same temperature as the heat source, there will be no cooling from the heatsink unless air blows at it to remove the heat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection
    Smile

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Interesting set of comments regarding PWM cooling.

Has anyone ever seen a statement on a mobo box (ANY vendor) that says extra airflow IS needed? If the cooling is a must-have, why is it not included? Top-end GPUs don't come with passive heatsinks, expecting the user to add their own fan because it's so obvious.

I hope i'm coming across as devils advocate.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Legend
    i've sent him a message asking for the bios settings used.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_chill View Post
    Ever since time begun it has been known amongst overclockers that if you use water cooling you have to provide additional airflow around the VRM area, and if you are benchmarking or stability testing then are are looking at even greater load and heat which requires even greater VRM cooling.
    hear hear
    Last edited by dinos22; 12-21-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Legend
    lol did anyone click on the links in his video description. He even did a really nice photochop with flames in one of the Taiwanese forums .... righttttttttttttt
    Last edited by dinos22; 12-21-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme 3D Team
    I feel it's his fault, but then again...most high end boards today (save MSI) have had functional VRM over temp shutdown...
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Interesting set of comments regarding PWM cooling.

Has anyone ever seen a statement on a mobo box (ANY vendor) that says extra airflow IS needed? If the cooling is a must-have, why is it not included? Top-end GPUs don't come with passive heatsinks, expecting the user to add their own fan because it's so obvious.

I hope i'm coming across as devils advocate.

Not on a Mobo box, but I remember I had ASUS P5NT Deluxe socket 775, it came with an additional clip on fan for the VRM heatsink, it had a warning that the fan needs to be installed if water cooling is used.

But another point is Mobo makers don't need to say that, it says in the stress testing tools that excess stress will be applied and components can be damaged, a warning like that should make you research what it's about and how to stress test safely.

c[_]
    hmm...

I see nobody has commented about how USELESS the VRM heatsinks usually are.

They often make poor contact and the TIM can act as an insulator if its too thick or the motherboard bows due to poor isntallation methods.

With that said, the fault lies likely with a faulty component as there is not a rash of them blowing up yet, unlike the Asus Z7S-WS for example of which there were many that did blow up due to the poor VRM design.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Banned

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kroks View Post
    The most pointless post here.

Xtreme Member
    It looks like a failed MOSFET. I wonder if Gigabyte is using substandard NIKOS MOSFETS in their high end boards. Would love to see a pic of the VRM MOSFETS without the heatsink on it to determine the make.

Xtreme Member

I can't belive Gigabyte is using this lousy transistor in such an expensive board.

Definitely NOT this guy's fault.

http://www.irf.com/whats-new/nr111213.html
    International Rectifier, IR® (NYSE: IRF), a world leader in power management technology, today announced that its digital power solution featuring GUI-based VR design for fast, real-time tuning and system-level optimization powers All New 3-Way Digital X79 motherboards from GIGABYTE™, a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards.
    Last edited by mockingbird; 12-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast