Thread: Triple rad case choices?

Xtreme Member

Triple rad case choices?

At the beginning of the new year, I'll be starting a new build. Originally I was going to re-use my current case (CM HAF 932), but the case is so beat up from hauling it to and from college that I'm seriously considering starting from scratch. I've had the Corsair 800D on my radar for a very long time, and it's a great case... but it's very utilitarian - there's no WOW factor that I can see from it, and it's a basic box design without much beauty to be had. I'd like to appeal to you guys for ideas on alternative cases.

To clarify, I'm not really looking for "beauty" in a flashy Logisys UFO or Silverstone RV01 kind of way, but rather a well-finished case like the higher-end Lian-Li and the TJ07. The downside of both of those is that they're damned expensive - But if they're the only choices that I'll be happy with, I may have to shell out.

The only other feature I definitely need from a case is a place to put a triple 120 rad internally without extreme modification. I don't mind a little bit of modding - Hell, I might welcome it - but having a triple rad pop onto the top of the case like the HAF or 800D is ideal for the WC system I want to put together this time around.

So let's hear 'em! Sexy full tower cases that can hold a triple rad!
    ~FoxDie~
    CM HAF 932
    MSI Z68A-GD65
    2600k Watercooled @ 4.6 GHz
    Powercolor HD6950
    4x4GB G.skill Ripjaws X 2133
    2x Crucial M4 128GB R0
    WD 1TB Black

I know how you feel about the 800D's look, as I used to think that too. To some extent I still do, as it's design is simplistic. And I was considering other cases for a long time before eventually coming back to the 800D.
    And I must say that in person this case has an amazing presence! Not only does it dwarf my previous full tower case, but it does it by looking awesome at the same time. (I actually have a 700D as I like its internals a little better)
    Also, working inside this case was without a doubt extremely easy due to the cavernous interior.
    It's by no means perfect, but my list of complaints is pretty small and inconsequential, considering all the positives. Stuff like; the side panels flex a bit too easily and bulge if you have a lot of cables in the back, not enough places on the backside to use with zipties, the PSU filter could be better fitted, high speed fans tend to make the case rattle a bit, airflow sucks for air cooling.
    As you know, it fits a 360 rad internally with no problem. You can even fit a push-pull setup if the rad isn't very thick (like the Swiftech rads). And if you like modding you can fit another 240 rad at the bottom.
    Unless you're in a hurry to build the new rig, you should probably wait until at least CES 2012, as new cases are usually introduced then. I also heard some rumors that Corsair will announce new case(s), which might be more to your liking. The Obsidian series does seem to be due for an update
    Personally, I would love a case with the internal size and features of the 800D, but with the look and style of the 600T.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You could also take a look at the CaseLabs M8, it's more of a double wide cube-ish type, i.e. 2x360 in the top, it can also mount more in the base or on the side. Alternatively they have the single wide STH10 but it's way taller and deeper i.e. big enough to hold 560's. Again these are in the Lian-Li TJ07 price range which is more than you want.

clapton1
    Hello

The Xigmatek Elysium will take a 360 or 420 on the top or bottom. With a 'normal' power supply you can mount up to 420 on the side without the supply, and a 240 on the side with the supply. There is also a 140 at the back for a third rad, and a 200 on the side which can be modded (I think) for 4x120. The front will take a 480 if you sacrifice all the drive bays. The case is huge and has room for everything you will ever need, but some spots will get a bit cramped if you decide to use all the available cooling options.

Few cons - no SSD mount (this is 2011!!), the USB3 cable terminates in port plugs rather than a header, the metal is fairly thin and rattles audibly, and the side panels are quite the task to get on properly specially once the left side is full of cables, but even otherwise given the huge panel size and the odd clip system.

Oh, and it's much cheaper than most of the other cases you're considering.

Xtreme Member
    An awesome choice would be the Lian-Li V2120X.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product..._index=138&g=f

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

Xtreme Member
    caselabs all the way. i have an mh10 and it fits 5 480mm rads at one time! best water case in my opinion, period. GL!

Xtreme Guru
    nuttcase21: it's piece of furniture, not case. Maybe best among others in that niche, but nevertheless far from what i'd vote for 'best' overall for LC. Anyone can upsize, but it takes hard work to still stuff in sufficient rad area in normal or small formfactor cases, hence more admiring when someone succeeds.

Xtreme Member
    atcs 840?
    dual 360 rads on lianli A05NB worklog : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=259066

Xtreme Member
    Op said tj07 is expensive, so I guess he would find 2120x a little pricey too lol.. or caselabs.
    I would suggest using different rads, as a case that fits full 360 must be quite big (and if also sleek, aluminium, will be expensive).

You could try going for example corsair 650D and use a 280 + 200mm rad in it, or a 120 at the back. (a single 280 is already quite close to a triple 120mm rad)
    FT02 is decent case too, and fits really big rads, but this one is quite expensive.

Also if you don't mind minor modding (cut + rad grill), look into cheapest lian li full towers like A70F or A701F, they can easily take a 360 radiator, and quality is superb. Just require some modding.
    ATCS 840 is great case for its price, no modding needed for 360, good case. Downside is the size, it is really massive and bulky. Not everyone likes design.
    Last edited by aerial; 12-23-2011 at 05:54 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112244

im currently using that beast. Im pretty sure I could stick a 4.120 up top even.

And thanks to jabtech ive got a nice window just over the mobo to make it look pretty

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    nuttcase21: it's piece of furniture, not case. Maybe best among others in that niche, but nevertheless far from what i'd vote for 'best' overall for LC. Anyone can upsize, but it takes hard work to still stuff in sufficient rad area in normal or small formfactor cases, hence more admiring when someone succeeds.
    The M8 is pretty compact really, the TX10 is furniture yes, but if you think the M8 is furniture then so are all of the cases considered here. Really it's just a chunk wider than an antec 300 and similar depth/height. If you've seen the details in the case it's hard to deny they are not the best for LC and given how much stuff you fit in it for the volume of the case then it also fits your description. Yes it's not a SFF watercooling case, but that's not what the OP is looking for either. If they're too big for you that's a different matter. OP is looking for a classy well finished case which CaseLabs fits. It may be too big given that the OP only wants one radiator, however there will be smaller cases out from CaseLabs probably Q2+ next year. It may be too expensive or not the OP's style but they are good cases and worth considering.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    The M8 is pretty compact really, the TX10 is furniture yes, but if you think the M8 is furniture then so are all of the cases considered here. Really it's just a chunk wider than an antec 300 and similar depth/height. If you've seen the details in the case it's hard to deny they are not the best for LC and given how much stuff you fit in it for the volume of the case then it also fits your description. Yes it's not a SFF watercooling case, but that's not what the OP is looking for either. If they're too big for you that's a different matter. OP is looking for a classy well finished case which CaseLabs fits. It may be too big given that the OP only wants one radiator, however there will be smaller cases out from CaseLabs probably Q2+ next year. It may be too expensive or not the OP's style but they are good cases and worth considering.

Xtreme Member
    good points stren. the OP asked for a case, i recommended the case labs stuff as i currently own one and have had 5 lian cases (2 v1000's, v1200, v351, pc-q08b), a rocketfish, two corsair(800d and a 650d) and a broadway case in my day. internal mounted rads in all of them and the caselabs is just superior. i like the anodizing of lian, but the durability of the powder coating of the caselabs and the ease with which you can install water gear make them premier cases in my eye.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Lots of choices to research here. Most of them are expensive (which I was afraid of), but having a much wider array of choices means I'll have less chance of settling on an OK case only to find a better one in a month. I'm less hesitant to drop lots of dough on a case this way.
    ~FoxDie~
    CM HAF 932
    MSI Z68A-GD65
    2600k Watercooled @ 4.6 GHz
    Powercolor HD6950
    4x4GB G.skill Ripjaws X 2133
    2x Crucial M4 128GB R0
    WD 1TB Black