Thread: RIM now worth less than Apple App Store alone

Love will tear us apart

RIM now worth less than Apple App Store alone

An analysis from Trefis places the value of the App Store at 2 percent of Apple's market cap. AAPL stock has a market cap of $354 billion, or more than 50 times greater than RIMM, and 2 percent of that means the App Store contributes $7.08 billion to Apple's market cap.

"The App Store is probably worth more than BlackBerry," Hall wrote. "All of BlackBerry. Just the App Store. Nothing else. Not the iPhone or iPod. Not Mac. Just the App Store."
    Source
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

YouTube Addict
    Given that from a technical perspective that Apple's App store is worth negative 30 Trillion dollars in intellectual capital and waste of human time, I find that technically inaccurate. But hey, I'm sure another meaningless game that sucks out millions of productive hours out of existence everyday will probably consume a large volume of money.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Given that from a technical perspective that Apple's App store is worth negative 30 Trillion dollars in intellectual capital and waste of human time, I find that technically inaccurate. But hey, I'm sure another meaningless game that sucks out millions of productive hours out of existence everyday will probably consume a large volume of money.
    I'm sure "useless games" have a role to play in society... Stress busting maybe ? (Not everything that's not geared towards work is useless in life - how about overclocking, is it really worth all the time and effort ? - different people have different requirements )

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    I'm sure "useless games" have a role to play in society... Stress busting maybe ? (Not everything that's not geared towards work is useless in life - how about overclocking, is it really worth all the time and effort ? - different people have different requirements )

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saveus222 View Post
    mass consumption for the sake of consumption is a role in society. Overclocking serves the function of seeing the limits and weaknesses of different Microprocessor architectures and semiconductor processes.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

rim has nothing of value left. the bartered off licensing to all of their patents and have more money out than in on them, and BBM is closed and they missed the opportunity to make it multiplatform.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    rim has nothing of value left. the bartered off licensing to all of their patents and have more money out than in on them, and BBM is closed and they missed the opportunity to make it multiplatform.
    WRONG! Contracts man contracts.

As someone that works with government contracts where information security is the major issue, RIM is still loved. When it comes to smartphones, RIMs products are just more robust and thus can be used. iphone, not a chance in hell. The real competitor on the horizon that may kill them is the NSAs locked down and open source version of android. This is often glossed over since smartphones are no longer devices for corporate big wigs and managers to access data and communications with, but every jackass has one.

If you're accessing confidential data you sure as hell are not going to be doing it on an idevice. And while I don't have any hands on experience with secure android (yet, some of our guys do) it removes the fun out of the phone and is extremely picky so far about hardware (again, not first hand yet), so it's not being mass adopted. RIM still has products that do what is needed.

Who knows what will happen, but as of now no other mobile company offers what some people need.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    WRONG! Contracts man contracts.

As someone that works with government contracts where information security is the major issue, RIM is still loved. When it comes to smartphones, RIMs products are just more robust and thus can be used. iphone, not a chance in hell. The real competitor on the horizon that may kill them is the NSAs locked down and open source version of android. This is often glossed over since smartphones are no longer devices for corporate big wigs and managers to access data and communications with, but every jackass has one.

If you're accessing confidential data you sure as hell are not going to be doing it on an idevice. And while I don't have any hands on experience with secure android (yet, some of our guys do) it removes the fun out of the phone and is extremely picky so far about hardware (again, not first hand yet), so it's not being mass adopted. RIM still has products that do what is needed.

Who knows what will happen, but as of now no other mobile company offers what some people need.
    there already are 2 NSA secured android devices, and dont forget windows mobile (not windows phone,) it still has the best email/file service and the secure version of the HTC HD is still in production even though windows mobile was put EOL over 2 years ago.

BB has nothing for secure devices left and those are not profitable for a hardware company unless they are derived from consumer devices but wit added TPM (or in the case of android the only thing that you need to enable encryption and load custom signature settings from the dev settings when it is compiled as all devices have atleast double 64bit AES nand.) so, now that there is nolonger the gap that the market has smart phone, BB, feature phone, phone and there is now smart phone (android, symbian), feature phone (iphone, windows phone) and other (BB, actual feature phones) they are going to be dead
    Last edited by zanzabar; 04-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru
    there is nothing like the tactile keys on a BB. every BB user I know that switched to iphone or other screen type device hates it. They should implement some BB license to the iphone or BB with android os. Its not the os. its the hardware. just make it all one phone called the AndroIberry.
    Last edited by trans am; 04-16-2012 at 03:25 PM.