Thread: Google’s Brin calls SOPA censorship akin to China, Iran

Xtreme Enthusiast

Google’s Brin calls SOPA censorship akin to China, Iran

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10981389...ts/Dt6FoRv6hXJ

In just two decades, the world wide web has transformed and democratized access to information all around the world. I am proud of the role Google has played alongside many others such as Yahoo, Wikipedia, and Twitter. Whether you are a student in an internet cafe in the developing world or a head of state of a wealthy nation, the knowledge of the world is at your fingertips.

Of course, offering these services has come with its challenges. Multiple countries have sought to suppress the flow of information to serve their own political goals. At various times notable Google websites have been blocked in China, Iran, Libya (prior to their revolution), Tunisia (also prior to revolution), and others. For our own websites and for the internet as a whole we have worked tirelessly to combat internet censorship around the world alongside governments and NGO promoting free speech.

Thus, imagine my astonishment when the newest threat to free speech has come from none other but the United States. Two bills currently making their way through congress -- SOPA and PIPA -- give the US government and copyright holders extraordinary powers including the ability to hijack DNS and censor search results (and this is even without so much as a proper court trial). While I support their goal of reducing copyright infringement (which I don't believe these acts would accomplish), I am shocked that our lawmakers would contemplate such measures that would put us on a par with the most oppressive nations in the world.

This is why I signed on to the following open letter with many other founders - http://dq99alanzv66m.cloudfront.net/...-14-letter.pdf
    See also: http://americancensorship.org/ and http://engineadvocacy.org/

Electronic Frontier Foundation
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/1...-sopa-and-pipa
    We, the undersigned, have played various parts in building a network called the Internet. We wrote and debugged the software; we defined the standards and protocols that talk over that network. Many of us invented parts of it. We're just a little proud of the social and economic benefits that our project, the Internet, has brought with it.

Last year, many of us wrote to you and your colleagues to warn about the proposed "COICA" copyright and censorship legislation. Today, we are writing again to reiterate our concerns about the SOPA and PIPA derivatives of last year's bill, that are under consideration in the House and Senate. In many respects, these proposals are worse than the one we were alarmed to read last year.

If enacted, either of these bills will create an environment of tremendous fear and uncertainty for technological innovation, and seriously harm the credibility of the United States in its role as a steward of key Internet infrastructure. Regardless of recent amendments to SOPA, both bills will risk fragmenting the Internet's global domain name system (DNS) and have other capricious technical consequences. In exchange for this, such legislation would engender censorship that will simultaneously be circumvented by deliberate infringers while hampering innocent parties' right and ability to communicate and express themselves online.

All censorship schemes impact speech beyond the category they were intended to restrict, but these bills are particularly egregious in that regard because they cause entire domains to vanish from the Web, not just infringing pages or files. Worse, an incredible range of useful, law-abiding sites can be blacklisted under these proposals. In fact, it seems that this has already begun to happen under the nascent DHS/ICE seizures program.

Censorship of Internet infrastructure will inevitably cause network errors and security problems. This is true in China, Iran and other countries that censor the network today; it will be just as true of American censorship. It is also true regardless of whether censorship is implemented via the DNS, proxies, firewalls, or any other method. Types of network errors and insecurity that we wrestle with today will become more widespread, and will affect sites other than those blacklisted by the American government.

The current bills -- SOPA explicitly and PIPA implicitly -- also threaten engineers who build Internet systems or offer services that are not readily and automatically compliant with censorship actions by the U.S. government. When we designed the Internet the first time, our priorities were reliability, robustness and minimizing central points of failure or control. We are alarmed that Congress is so close to mandating censorship-compliance as a design requirement for new Internet innovations. This can only damage the security of the network, and give authoritarian governments more power over what their citizens can read and publish.

The US government has regularly claimed that it supports a free and open Internet, both domestically and abroad. We cannot have a free and open Internet unless its naming and routing systems sit above the political concerns and objectives of any one government or industry. To date, the leading role the US has played in this infrastructure has been fairly uncontroversial because America is seen as a trustworthy arbiter and a neutral bastion of free expression. If the US begins to use its central position in the network for censorship that advances its political and economic agenda, the consequences will be far-reaching and destructive.

Senators, Congressmen, we believe the Internet is too important and too valuable to be endangered in this way, and implore you to put these bills aside.

Google, Yahoo, Facebook and several other large web companies today joined a growing chorus of strong opposition to proposed legislation that aims to curb online IP and copyright theft by foreign sites.

No time to read? Check this out.
    http://youtu.be/JhwuXNv8fJM

This legislation is very important.

What are your thoughts gentlemen?
    Last edited by xsbb; 12-17-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    What this has to do with Iran or China ?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

Give the U.S. Government the power to censor the web using techniques similar to those used by China, Malaysia and Iran;
    char limit

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    it will allow for similar censorship actions. just try and find a major site with no copyright infringement on it, then affter u most likely failed to look at sopa and it can have sites banned based on user content even if u dont send a take down notice, and then best of all look at how the copyright trolls (ie viacom) who do things like put viacom content on youtube and then that it was able for it to be put there.

anyways im tiered and rambling, but my point is that there is no oversight and if a user can post to a site there is a 100% chance that a small site will get banned if the gov dose not like it, and a good chance of a mid sized site getting banned.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I, as an Aussie have only just been reading up on this tonight. Quite scary that this might actually get passed.

Wtf America?

Who votes for these people?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    I watched most of the SOPA live stream a few nights ago. My biggest problem with (most of) the committee is that they continually shut down requests to amend the proposal to make it more reasonable (though I think it's still totally irrational), as well as requests to bring in engineers who know how the internet works to explain why the proposal would be for the most part ineffective (typing in an IP address instead of a URL).

The whole thing is silly and won't reduce piracy, simply because it will be easily circumvented.

Anyways, as they said "bring in the nerds."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Money.

Xtreme Member
    Land of the Free, right?

Xtreme Member
    So the balance between order and freedom has to shift a bit?
    This guy is xtremely lazy

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    I, as an Aussie have only just been reading up on this tonight. Quite scary that this might actually get passed.

Wtf America?

-PB
    The American People ®™

Problem is, the entertainment industry (the ones pushing for this) has bought out a large number of people in the process.

I too am worried if this gets passed as it will no doubt make its way over here very shortly afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    a small site will get banned if the gov dose not like it, and a good chance of a mid sized site getting banned.
    Isn't the main problem it doesn't stop pirates even remotely as you can just type in the IP address instead and boom you're there and as per above, the main pushers are the entertainment industry that thinks it's even remotely possible to stop piracy. (lol)

People pirate the humble indie bundle, you can pay a cent for it.

It's clearly been written by someone who doesn't have a clue about how the internet works or the level of resources to implement it effectively. If the Americans pass this then it's the first of many laws to come that will clamp down on free speech. Rather ironic that its coming from 'the land of the free' ®™

Here's hoping that some well respected internet engineers get called in on the matter before it's too late. Or Obama veto's it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    I watched most of the SOPA live stream a few nights ago. My biggest problem with (most of) the committee is that they continually shut down requests to amend the proposal to make it more reasonable (though I think it's still totally irrational), as well as requests to bring in engineers who know how the internet works to explain why the proposal would be for the most part ineffective (typing in an IP address instead of a URL).

The whole thing is silly and won't reduce piracy, simply because it will be easily circumvented.

Anyways, as they said "bring in the nerds."
    As did I, with horror. Though it can be looked on in another way, if the bill is stupid enough it will not be passed. Though it's walking a very fine line as it can result in a poorly thought out bill being passed as well.
    Last edited by 3NZ0; 12-18-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah they tried Internet Censorship in Australia and it got shot down pretty quickly.

Problem isn't stopping people from going to bad websites, they should be concentrating on shutting down the sites that are within their power to do so.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB