Page 32 of 143 FirstFirst ... 22293031323334354282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Kepler Nvidia GeForce GTX 780

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    The 8800GTX was definitely a special case. Price vs Performance it was on top of the world even at the $600 price tag--especially when you consider that up until the 8800GT the midrange was pretty horrid during the first year of its lifespan. IMO it was probably the best gpu of the last decade (runner up being the 9800pro 128mb). It actually beat SLi/CF at the time at stock with plenty of room to spare, and is still able to play games (albeit not maxed out any more) over 5 years later. THAT is technically a good value no matter how you look at it.

I don't see myself paying for another ultra high-end card again though. Not with these weak 30% performance gains the companies are showing us.
    The 8800GTX was the best and most expensive gpu I had ever bought.

It served me extremely well, and I do see myself needing a top end gpu again. Yet I can't bring myself to buy the current GTX580 3GB or 7970 3GB at their current price to performance increases.

As such I'm looking forward to the new kepler cards to see what they bring.

As I stated before I do think they'll give us some indication of the price of the high end versions.

If they are coming out in April that's no problem, I can wait and there's no real pressing need just yet to retire my current GPU.
    I'll deal wit medium setting in some games.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    The 8800GTX was definitely a special case. Price vs Performance it was on top of the world even at the $600 price tag--especially when you consider that up until the 8800GT the midrange was pretty horrid during the first year of its lifespan. IMO it was probably the best gpu of the last decade (runner up being the 9800pro 128mb). It actually beat SLi/CF at the time at stock with plenty of room to spare, and is still able to play games (albeit not maxed out any more) over 5 years later. THAT is technically a good value no matter how you look at it.

I don't see myself paying for another ultra high-end card again though. Not with these weak 30% performance gains the companies are showing us.
    You're right DilTech !

8800 chip is a reference but I tend to say no more. As a friend said, G80 90nm chip was 484 mm˛ and G71 was 194mm˛ on 90nm too. The exploit seems difficult to achieve again ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    I wouldn't call you a "penny pincher", you buy what you need at the price and performance level you find acceptable.

However this does not apply to the folks who consider spending $600 on a video card, this breed has a different set of standards and more power to them if it's worth it to them.

These are guys looking for performance first value second, to them the biggest value is in having maximum performance more so than price.

Hardware is a classic case of "to each his own", if it suits your needs and is within your budget who's to argue with them.

It wasn't that long ago really that I didn't bat an eye at buying a $600 8800gtx, at the time the performance was well worth it for me. Today it would take a helluva piece of hardware to get me excited enough to pony up $600 bones.
    Wait what? Comparing the current situation to the 8800GTX/Ultra era is like comparing apples and bowling balls.

I am more than willing to pay $600 for a GPU. However for that price it better provide commensurate performance in the current market. The 7970 does not do that. Not at over $600. Not by a long shot.

It's also rather pointless to consider spending over $600 on a 28nm GPU (unless the upgrade is drastically needed) when competing products haven't even been released and it barely exceeds the performance of the previous generation. There is no earth-shattering leap in performance.

Leaping into the next gen (28nm) GPU high-end without waiting until both companies have their products competing on the market means a person is either in drastic need of an upgrade, prefers them for a practical reason (Eyefinity or Linux support), or they are simply an impatient rube. If NVIDIA had released first I'd be saying the exact same thing.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kgk View Post
    Wait what? Comparing the current situation to the 8800GTX/Ultra era is like comparing apples and bowling balls.

I am more than willing to pay $600 for a GPU. However for that price it better provide commensurate performance in the current market. The 7970 does not do that. Not at over $600. Not by a long shot.

It's also rather pointless to consider spending over $600 on a 28nm GPU (unless the upgrade is drastically needed) when competing products haven't even been released and it barely exceeds the performance of the previous generation. There is no earth-shattering leap in performance.

Leaping into the next gen (28nm) GPU high-end without waiting until both companies have their products competing on the market means a person is either in drastic need of an upgrade, prefers them for a practical reason (Eyefinity or Linux support), or they are simply an impatient rube. If NVIDIA had released first I'd be saying the exact same thing.
    Personally I am not willing to pay $600 for a video card, it's simply not something I need to spend that much on even if it offered 4x the performance, I have no use for 10x the performance for say $200.

It's only your perspective whether or not spending $600 on a particular 28nm video card is pointless. You cannot speak for the needs or wants of other people using your personal rational whether the competition has comparable product or not, that only suits your own rational.

I would imagine allot of people on this forum don't have a real practical need for the hardware they have, its the simple enjoyment of tinkering with the latest hardware and seeing what it can do.

I bet there are allot of folks on here that like to OC and bench hardware without much of a rational use outside of OC'ing and benching and dare I say not gaming.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    Personally I am not willing to pay $600 for a video card, it's simply not something I need to spend that much on even if it offered 4x the performance, I have no use for 10x the performance for say $200.
    I am not entirely sure what you are trying to convey in that sentence.

It's only your perspective whether or not spending $600 on a particular 28nm video card is pointless. You cannot speak for the needs or wants of other people using your personal rational whether the competition has comparable product or not, that only suits your own rational.
    Which is why I discussed uses other than my own and made sure to clarify that my perceived shortcomings of the card are within my usage parameters.

I would imagine allot of people on this forum don't have a real practical need for the hardware they have, its the simple enjoyment of tinkering with the latest hardware and seeing what it can do.
    Hence my stating an exception to the fact that this is "Xtreme Systems"

I bet there are allot of folks on here that like to OC and bench hardware without much of a rational use outside of OC'ing and benching and dare I say not gaming.
    Which is why I kept my points of discussion to the main use of these cards: gaming (and made notable exception to the fact that this is XS). This is the news section, hence my discussing the relevance of the card to the general public (the main consumers of these cards). There are entire sub-forums here for Benchmarking and Competitions if you prefer that.

My point was that the card is clearly overpriced for what it is. I get the feeling you seem more intent on nitpicking or picking a fight.
    Last edited by kgk; 02-29-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    My point was that the card is clearly overpriced for what it is. I get the feeling you seem more intent on nitpicking or picking a fight.
    You've got the wrong feeling then...

I agree it's overpriced as well, at least in regards to what I'm willing to pay but I know its well worth it to others. Obviously this is where our positions diverge.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    You've got the wrong feeling then...

I agree it's overpriced as well, at least in regards to what I'm willing to pay but I know its well worth it to others. Obviously this is where our positions diverge.
    Agreed. I apologize if I offended you.

Xtreme Addict
    Yes it's expensive, worth it to some and not to others. It's way too much for me but I love benching new gear so I bought one on release, benched it, felt the power, smashed my PB's and sold it again before initial prices dropped. I realise now, with the Kepler delays that I could have benched it a bit longer but I'm happy to wait and buy again when Kepler finally sees daylight, if it doesn't meet the hype I will buy another 7970 instead and water cool it.

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Member
    I think the 7970 is at a good price since it offers more performance than the gtx580. However, I wouldn't purchase it because it is not something I need. I buy mid-ranged cards and upgrade when I feel I need more performance. The most expensive card I ever bought was a radeon 9700 pro for $300 and its performance was leaps and bounds above any card I owned prior to its release. It was well worth it.

I am excited for the 7870 and Nvidia's mid-ranged offering. I could see myself purchasing one of these two cards in the future if I decide to move to 2560x1440.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

Xtreme Addict
    at the same time, the 9700pro ( Maya edition for me ) was a legend.... and still is a legend ...

I have kill 1 9700Pro and 2x 9800 ( no protection on OC at this time, if you was go too high, you was kill them, if you was seen an artefact when benching, the card was dead )
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    megaofftopic.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeldoran View Post
    I am excited for the 7870 and Nvidia's mid-ranged offering. I could see myself purchasing one of these two cards in the future if I decide to move to 2560x1440.
    Surely if you want a 7870 you might as well buy a 6970, as the 7870 will essentially be the same for performance. There will probably jsut be difference in power consumption.

Similar to the 5870 vs the 6870. Where the 5870 was still a tad faster.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Surely if you want a 7870 you might as well buy a 6970, as the 7870 will essentially be the same for performance. There will probably jsut be difference in power consumption.

Similar to the 5870 vs the 6870. Where the 5870 was still a tad faster.
    Possibly, but given GCN I think it would be a better investment. However, I wait for reviews to decide what is the best choice. I do not have a brand preference.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeldoran View Post
    Possibly, but given GCN I think it would be a better investment. However, I wait for reviews to decide what is the best choice. I do not have a brand preference.
    That's the best option alright. Wait and see what happens then buy what suits you best.

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone more versed in Italian care to translate? that last part?
    Translate it to marketing strategies again.
    But ok..only time will tell.
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    From h...

Unread Today, 01:06 PM
    Kyle_Bennett HardOCP Editor-in-Chief, 14.8 Years

I think NVIDIA put a bunch of disinformation out here very recently as to clocks and prices and such. Not sure what is going on yet. But we hear from China that GPU have been delivered in very small quantities and building should be moving forward very soon. So things are rolling and getting much much closer.
    Take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 03-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    at the same time, the 9700pro ( Maya edition for me ) was a legend.... and still is a legend ...

I have kill 1 9700Pro and 2x 9800 ( no protection on OC at this time, if you was go too high, you was kill them, if you was seen an artefact when benching, the card was dead )
    I saw plenty of artifacts, never killed a card during benching.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Won't it be the same story when Kepler arrives? "But wait! AMD's refresh is coming soon so don't buy until you've had a chance to compare!" It's the perpetual waiting game. If the next-gen is really only a few weeks away, than I can see waiting a bit but we heard the "but wait" argument since Dec 22 and if Kepler arrives the end of March (pure speculation) it will have been three months. I wouldn't call someone a rube just because they don't want to wait months on end for the competition to arrive.
    2600k@4.9Ghz 1.42V | Asrock Ext 3 Gen 3 | Custom H20 | 16GB PC3 1600 | 7970@1375/1600

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfear View Post
    Won't it be the same story when Kepler arrives? "But wait! AMD's refresh is coming soon so don't buy until you've had a chance to compare!" It's the perpetual waiting game. If the next-gen is really only a few weeks away, than I can see waiting a bit but we heard the "but wait" argument since Dec 22 and if Kepler arrives the end of March (pure speculation) it will have been three months. I wouldn't call someone a rube just because they don't want to wait months on end for the competition to arrive.
    it is true that amd's refresh (8000 series?) wont be too far off when nvidia releases kepler but it will simply be that, a refresh. the 7000 series is a brand new architecture, kepler is a brand new architecture. since they are both brand new architectures and not refreshes i do agree people should wait to see who has a better leg to stand on.

Xtreme Addict
    ouroboros (the serpent eating its own tail) here clearly reflected in this paradigm of ever-waiting for the next best product... you wait forever and then end up buying something mid to low end..

lets wait a few weeks, its almost here, and once its here... wait a few weeks more, that new one its almost here....

*facepalm* just buy one already and quit crying!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    ouroboros (the serpent eating its own tail) here clearly reflected in this paradigm of ever-waiting for the next best product... you wait forever and then end up buying something mid to low end..

lets wait a few weeks, its almost here, and once its here... wait a few weeks more, that new one its almost here....

Quoted for the truth !! +1
    Rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @4.0 GHz watercooled
    AMD Radeon HD 5850 @950 MHz
    4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    2 WDC black 640 GB RAID 0, 2 WDC caviar 1.5 GB
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    24" Samsung LCD TV full HD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post

People just want to save money which means buying in competition conditions. They might not even go with the gk104, they just want a price drop and/or more performance for the dollar. If you go back to the original 79xx thread, the very lowest people had for performance expectations was 30% faster than the gtx 580. This was considered to be on the more negative side. Most were expecting 50% faster, some were expecting upwards of 70 and 80 percent. In addition, with the pricing, people were not expecting the card to be this expensive(the 7970). When consumers settle on price and performance when expectations are clearly not met, we are basically doing exactly what a company wants to make as much money as possible. It is why companies like apple are so rich or let EA sports get away with releasing the same title every year at the same cost.

Unless a product sets a high bar, in which a competing product is not likely to be much better, something like the 9700 pro or gtx 8800, I don't see the harm in waiting. The only harm is if a particular game won't run on the hardware you have, a problem which people on this board really don't encounter.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    Last edited by Olivon; 03-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    People just want to save money which means buying in competition conditions. They might not even go with the gk104, they just want a price drop and/or more performance for the dollar. If you go back to the original 79xx thread, the very lowest people had for performance expectations was 30% faster than the gtx 580. This was considered to be on the more negative side. Most were expecting 50% faster, some were expecting upwards of 70 and 80 percent. In addition, with the pricing, people were not expecting the card to be this expensive(the 7970). When consumers settle on price and performance when expectations are clearly not met, we are basically doing exactly what a company wants to make as much money as possible. It is why companies like apple are so rich or let EA sports get away with releasing the same title every year at the same cost.

Unless a product sets a high bar, in which a competing product is not likely to be much better, something like the 9700 pro or gtx 8800, I don't see the harm in waiting. The only harm is if a particular game won't run on the hardware you have, a problem which people on this board really don't encounter.
    this is true for some, but I have seen so many people waiting for high end and buying mid-range that although I can agree with your statement, it clearly does not include all of those who "are waiting"

@Olivon, thanks for those pics man, really appreciate it, now tickle me pink... I have never seen that way of putting 6 x 2 pin config. I hope its functional, because its downright ugly (regardless of the maker)

Xtreme Mentor
    GK104-Based Products Arriving March 23 - TPU

Expreview cited sources in the AIC (add-in card) vendors in pinning the launch of GeForce Kepler 104 (GK104) based products to March 23. The products launched are expected to be NVIDIA's first in its next-generation.

Page 32 of 143 FirstFirst ... 22293031323334354282132 ... LastLast