Page 118 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1868108115116117118119120121128 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3567

Thread: Kepler Nvidia GeForce GTX 780

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting article. Any word on GK110 "in three days" or are they blowing smoke?
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/how-the-...ed-/15786.html

Quote Originally Posted by VR-Zone
    The decision to rebrand GK107 into GTX 680/690 was made. Furthermore, the company decided to further increase the performance of the high-end die, giving birth to GK110. GK110 will debut in just three days, but this is the part that targets the HPC i.e. GPGPU community. We were told that the number of pre-orders for Kepler-based Tesla cards (Tesla 3000 Series) should exceed the overall number of Teslas shipped so far (over 150,000 units sold).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    that actually didnt answer the question at all. i was quoting this:
    to which i asked if any lcd could even run faster by outputting a lower res, to which i dont think any do (which all crts could do)
    Oops, sorry, misunderstood. I've seen it pretty frequently. Actually, the monitors I use right now, will push 75Hz at 1280x1024. But none to the same level a CRT could.

Quote Originally Posted by kgk View Post
    I'm not big on 3D stuff/optics so correct me if I'm wrong but in 3D displays isn't the total Hz split since each eye is effectively only receiving half of the monitor's refresh rate? So that's still only a 60Hz effective, just in 3D. That's why 3D has to have a lower baseline refresh since otherwise even people with the worst eyesight would notice flicker on a 60Hz 3D display.

I don't think I even see 3D televisions at the local electronics store with less than 200Hz (granted they don't display anything higher than 1080p)
    It depends on the technology used. But for this discussion we're using Nvidia 3D which is shutter style where one lens closes then the other closes alternating back and forth and your brain creates the image. It does exactly what you say, with 60Hz or typically smooth interpretation video in each eye to create a smooth 3D image. A 60Hz 3D display would be useless with this style, they would need something like polarized or those awesome monitors that had two panels behind each other and the glasses filtered the one in front in one eye, lol.

Those TVs are almost always polarized as 120Hz displays are very costly at that size. The "120" "240" "600" Hz (Plasma usually) are typically those lovely "SmoothMotion" or "CinEngine" chips that will double the frames of the movie artificially to create that effect. Hell, I think some of those might even use shutter style and make fake 3D, I'm not sure, I just know shutter is uncomfortable to me.
    Why yes, yes I do use Koolance..*Flame Wall Inbound*

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    Interesting article. Any word on GK110 "in three days" or are they blowing smoke?
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/how-the-...ed-/15786.html
    They're referring to GTC. They will most likely talk architecture and HPC. Don't get your hopes up for any consumer product info or release schedules. Should still be interesting though.

Opening Keynote - May 15 @ 10:30am PT

NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang will kick off the conference with the opening address. He'll review the dramatic and growing impact of GPU technology in science, industry, design and many other fields.

And, he'll announce some big GPU news that you'll not want to miss.

For those of you who can't make it in person, we will provide a video livestream from the keynote.
    Last edited by trinibwoy; 05-08-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    From Gibbo @ OCUK:

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    They either don't know what they are doing or got a dud. The worse 670 I tested managed 1200MHz core and 6500MHz memory and that was a Palit reference card. The WindForce 3X card I test got far higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    The price will be fair, a reference 670 should be 100 less than a 680 and OC models £20-£40 more and at such prices they shall fly off the shelves as these things easily give 680 performance with a mild OC.
    GTX 680 owners you may as well shed your final tears
    Last edited by Mungri; 05-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Both NVIDIA and AMD always rename their lower-end SKUs. Heck, we're still seeing Juniper, Redwood and Cedar parts from AMD.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Both NVIDIA and AMD always rename their lower-end SKUs. Heck, we're still seeing Juniper, Redwood and Cedar parts from AMD.
    The difference is I don't see any AMD 40nm renames above the new 28nm SKUs...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    From Gibbo @ OCUK:

GTX 680 owners you may as well shed your final tears
    Sounds like AMD may need another price drop again...

Either way, while we watch the damage get done on the gpu front back and forth I'm going to sit back with a coke and a bag of chips. Picking up my first 3d monitor (deal is FAR too good to pass up) tomorrow, so I'll be ready to have some real fun when prices fall to where I believe they should be.
    Last edited by DilTech; 05-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    The difference is I don't see any AMD 40nm renames above the new 28nm SKUs...
    Now that's nitpicking.

1/2 of AMD's entire HD 7000-series mobile lineup is 40nm.

Xtreme Addict
    Hold on, hold on, hold on...

What's all this about GK100 and GK110?
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme Addict
    Now that's nitpicking.

1/2 of AMD's entire HD 7000-series mobile lineup is 40nm.
    Ok then. Twist it however you want. There is a difference though.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Was it "always" back then? Or a trend triggered by nVidia and adopted by AMD, or the other way around?

By the way... GTX 670 on TigerDirect already.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ywords=GTX+670

Whats that, a Ninja launch?
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Addict
    By the look of things, ALL companies using TSMC's .28nm process are experiencing the exact same problem with short supply, not just nVidia. But since this is Charlie we're talking about here, publishing such facts would not further the narrative he is always trying to push.

http://www.digitimes.com/topic/28nm_...c/a001191.html

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by labs23 View Post
    Was it "always" back then? Or a trend triggered by nVidia and adopted by AMD, or the other way around?
    ATi was doing it before AMD was even in the picture. I definitely remember them renaming the 9600 to the x600. It's not uncommon for either company, if they can re-use a design, they won't waste any time in doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    ATi was doing it before AMD was even in the picture. I definitely remember them renaming the 9600 to the x600. It's not uncommon for either company, if they can re-use a design, they won't waste any time in doing so.
    9600 was AGP only, x600 PCIE,
    but I remember buying a Radeon 9100 (renamed 8500LE) some 10 years ago

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    ATI has been rebranding with Radeon since the beginning. The original Radeon SDR was rebranded the 7200 and the Radeon VE became the Radeon 7000. The Radeon 7000 itself was also a 7200 without a T&L unit. 8500 series was a new design but they rebranded it for 9000, 9100, and 9200.

The Radeon SDR became the Radeon 7200, and the Radeon VE became the Radeon 7000.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by labs23 View Post

By the way... GTX 670 on TigerDirect already.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ywords=GTX+670

Whats that, a Ninja launch?
    No its an early release / broken NDA.

Official release is May 10th, 2 pm BST in the UK. I can't wait to get mine, probably going to get an EVGA reference or longer PCB custom version based on the prices (I'm not paying for anything with a blue PCB, Gigabyte, Inno and Galaxy / KFA2 GTX 670s have all been pictured with blue PCBs, so I buy EVGA reference or EVGA / MSI custom design).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like how Charlie is always saying,"NVIDIA will be bankrupt soon!" and they just keep rolling along making tons of money.

Market cap AMD + ATi this morning: $5.16b Market cap NVIDIA this morning: $7.68b

Q1 2012 AMD + ATi= $590m in the red Q1 2012 NVIDIA= $135m profit

AMD Dual GPU = MIA NVIDIA Dual GPU = 690 launches to reviews saying it's the best video card ever
    AMD flagship = price drops and slow sales NVIDIA flagship= every review site in the world says it's the card to buy, sells as many cards in one month as 7970 did in two, outselling 7970 9:1 (how can this be if no one has any Charlie?!)
    AMD 7950/7970= about to get another price drop and lower sales NVIDIA 670= rumored launching tomorrow, leaks say it trades blows with 7970 at 7950 costs

Ace reporter Charlie D. looks at all this and blubbers,"NVIDIA is re-badging two low end OEM chips and is selling out 680s! They're imploding! They'll be broke soon!".

How did this retard get a web site? Oh yeah, it's funded by AMD advertising.

Note to AMD: The fable of the boy who cried wolf applies to Charlie. He can yell about NVIDIA going broke every year all he likes, but when it doesn't happen, it becomes trite.
    Last edited by Rollo; 05-09-2012 at 03:35 AM.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Member
    Either way you look at it, Nvidia is getting squeezed out slowly. With igpu's becoming more powerful very quickly and very few games needing that much power to run, Nvidia is in trouble. What's gonna happen when they move to the next smaller process? They're having so much trouble already and blaming everyone else for it. Maybe Intel will do a hostile takeover and assimilate Nvidia's tech for themselves RIF :p
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    The origonal spirit of overclocking was to buy cheaper hardware and tweak it to perform as good as higher end more expensive hardware. Phenom 2 fits perfectly for this task.
    so many people seem to have forgotten this.

I am Xtreme
    they depend alot on their server level products now
    and so its going to be good to watch what amd offers in that segment to see if they are really in trouble or not
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I like how Charlie is always saying,"NVIDIA will be bankrupt soon!" and they just keep rolling along making tons of money.
    I dare you to show us a single recent (two last years) message from Charlie saying exactly that.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maño View Post
    I dare you to show us a single recent (two last years) message from Charlie saying exactly that.
    when someone uses the quotes symbol, it means they are not saying something that was actually quoted

just like when someone specifically uses the word literally, but is about as far away from being literally as possible.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rk7p5 View Post
    Either way you look at it, Nvidia is getting squeezed out slowly. With igpu's becoming more powerful very quickly and very few games needing that much power to run, Nvidia is in trouble. What's gonna happen when they move to the next smaller process? They're having so much trouble already and blaming everyone else for it. Maybe Intel will do a hostile takeover and assimilate Nvidia's tech for themselves RIF :p
    I'm no fanboy, but I believe Nvidia is far from being squeezed out. I would however agree that the GPU's(for their originally intended purposes) may slowly be squeezed out as a segment. Though high-end GPU's are here to stay...maybe not for gaming, but they have been redefining computing as an alternative to super-computers when used in clusters. Look at the top-ten super computers in the world today, and begin to see a trend.

I dream of the day when I build my own affordable cluster of CUDA cores or AMD's offerings based on 2 or more next generation High-end cards interconnected.
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We'll always need more power. New consoles are coming in which will hopefully present a leap also for the desktop market. Then there are 4k resolutions slowly taking off.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rk7p5 View Post
    The same thing can be said for AMD. The more powerful igp become, the less potential for revenue for their own parts in the dedicated graphics space. In addition, the R and D hit for developing such parts seems to have taken a hit for AMD server and high end desktop processors. AMD server parts used to be huge money for them as it was the area that they remained the most competitive, but their marketshare right now is 5.5%. It seems like after purchasing ATI, their CPU processors parts are either treading water or bailing it out. Same with their desktop side.

The only area AMD appears to be gaining marketshare from a CPU point of view is the mobile space but as you said, iGP is becoming fast quickly and what happens when Intel graphic parts become fast enough which could very well happen with haswell(not to mention this market might be shrinking in the future because of ARM based processors)? With intel having the stronger brand and with the faster CPU part, AMD will be ed if they don't come up a faster CPU. The public cares alot about a decent GPU, but they care far more about the brand and the CPU performance, hence Intel's massive lead over AMD. People are willing to take a hit on GPU performance for branding and CPU power. And when intel graphic part becomes fast enough for the mainstream, people won't buy AMD processors anymore except for budget builds. This is an AMD that cannot stay afloat.

I think Nv chances of succeeding in the professional space and supercomputing space are a lot better than AMD chances at developing a competitive CPU architecture; both of which are necessary for the long term viability of both companies.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Page 118 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1868108115116117118119120121128 ... LastLast