Page 72 of 143 FirstFirst ... 22626970717273747582122 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 3567

Thread: Kepler Nvidia GeForce GTX 780

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Uhm true, I could swear they were run with 1600x900. I'll re do them for your mental sake.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by st0ned View Post
    Uhm true, I could swear they were run with 1600x900. I'll re do them for your mental sake.
    it does the same think on my 30" screen if i set it to 1600x900 it will switch to 1440x900 unless in windowed mode

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_d View Post
    it does the same think on my 30" screen if i set it to 1600x900 it will switch to 1440x900 unless in windowed mode
    Well, I think this explaines it then I used a 30" 16:10 screen. I just confirmed, I run it again and in the end it showed 1440x900 instead the 1600x900 I'm sure I selected at start.

Xtreme Addict
    What's the point of running Unigine Heaven if you don't atleast run it at 1920x1080? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    People figure there's another part sitting and waiting for multiple reasons.

1.) It's strange for NVidia to release a new architecture's high end part under a code-name ending in any number but 0. Refreshes are a different story, but this is clearly not just a refresh.

2.) NVidia haven't made a small chip high-end in quite some time, not counting refreshes.

3.) NVidia's statement that they were actually disappointed and surprised by the lack of performance in AMD's 7970. That kind of statement makes you figure that NVidia had a much faster chip ready to go, saw they didn't need it, and set it aside.

Seriously, all signs clearly point to NVidia having something else but see the opportunity to make bank off what would have been their mid-range part.
    Bingo.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not really, if Nvidia could release a stronger GPU now they would, but they can't.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only thing that could have happened is, that NV went with more conservative clock speeds to lower the TDP, when they saw that HD 7970 was "only" GTX 580 +30%.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T@3.5GHz@Scythe Mugen 2 <-> ASRock 970 Extreme4 <-> 8GB DDR3-1333 <-> Sapphire HD7870@1100/1300 <-> Samsung F3 <-> Win8.1 x64 <-> Acer Slim Line S243HL <-> BQT E9-CM 480W

I am Xtreme
    there is no reason for them to back off if the competition is weak. if they spent a hundred million making kepler, they loose millions with every day they dont launch it. right now a card twice as fast as a 580 would be worth 800$+, in a few months it might be worth only 500$

if they had both cards ready, they would have released both cards

my take it that they learned their lesson with woodscrews and large chips thanks to the fermi situation and decided to launch their 460/560 type part first, since thats where most of the market share can come from. however due to their timelines, or thanks to competition, they have the ability to call it an upper level part. the fact its called a 680 means their large gpu is still a long ways out and/or that it competes with the 79xxs. it dosnt even have to be faster than a 7970 either, since they might get a whole bunch of sales thanks to people who have believed thanks to their track record that its faster than the competitions high level because they usually are.

i think nvidia has played it very smart this time around. the only thing we wish they did was show up, or atleast give us real press, when amd launched their cards. too much silence when your running late usually means you have not much good to say. imagine if they gave us one teaser add a few months ago saying, "hold on, we have something guaranteed faster and/or cheaper coming" and by that late in the game they probably could have said it too since they would know where they stand, and they set their prices. but instead they let competition soak up some market share, which i dont think was very smart.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post
    Bingo.
    Wishful thinking.

Nvidia certainly had no qualms releasing the 8800 GTX and then the 8800 Ultra at $800+ prices when AMD had nothing, they certainly had no problem releasing the GTX 280 when no one knew what the 4800's had in store, etc.

They'll release what they can, when they can, if money and market share make sense (and market share is more important than ever, now that the PC GPU industry is shrinking)

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    there is no reason for them to back off if the competition is weak. if they spent a hundred million making kepler, they loose millions with every day they dont launch it. right now a card twice as fast as a 580 would be worth 800$+, in a few months it might be worth only 500$
    Bingo. If millions are spent on R&D, you would try to recoup the costs, rather than let a product sit around doing nothing.

Playing fair has never been part of the lexicon of GPU makers, so why play 'fair'?

Xtreme Addict
    ^^ that's exactly why I keep harping on about "business decisions" when people (specially fans) talk about lack of need to release products.

It seems my comments go unread since people keep posting how "110" was not needed to be released... lol I have never seen this kind of behaviour ever...

Inter saying to shareholders: "Let's not release any more CPU's for the next 4 years, AMD needs to catch up and our CPUs are fast enough!"

If anyone find the above comment extremely stupid that's exactly what's being said right now on this thread about Nv's bigger chip.

does the mighty 104 seem like a good product? all indications say yes, do people want to go on having a mental diarrhoea and say the first thing that pops in their head? most likely.

Xtreme Addict
    Compare

with my 7970 @ 1005/1500

with my 7970 @ 1005/1500 and AMD OPTIMIZED
    Last edited by Gaul; 03-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zerazax View Post
    Wishful thinking.

Nvidia certainly had no qualms releasing the 8800 GTX and then the 8800 Ultra at $800+ prices when AMD had nothing, they certainly had no problem releasing the GTX 280 when no one knew what the 4800's had in store, etc.

They'll release what they can, when they can, if money and market share make sense (and market share is more important than ever, now that the PC GPU industry is shrinking)

Bingo. If millions are spent on R&D, you would try to recoup the costs, rather than let a product sit around doing nothing.

Playing fair has never been part of the lexicon of GPU makers, so why play 'fair'?
    A 800 dollar gtx 680 would not sell very well at all. That's limited edition card pricing and the ultra fell from 800($829 to $699) really quickly and that was in a bit better economy. There's a point where a high enough price will curb off demand and I think at that point, it is reached and passed. Dual cards can sell for that much because ultra enthusiast will pay more for dual cards. And even then, 800 is alot of money to spend and we haven't reached that point yet unless we count the ultra limited editions.

If GK110 was 800 dollars not only would the card not sell well, there would be no way even with that high a price that the Gk104 could be priced at $550. The only way GK104 can be priced so high is because it is the fastest thing from Nvidia. No way a midrange gtx 660(naming means alot) could be priced liked that.

Volume is the key. And releasing a half assed gk110(not fully mature) with terrible yields are hardly going to do anything with their profits. And would hurt the price the gk104 could be sold at
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    And yet NVIDIA is the only successful company in the graphics industry. Every other one (save Matrox) has ended up sold out to another company. (or bankrupt)

They seem to know something about profitable operation.
    If you will notice, my comments were directed at the posters of this thread and not directly at nV.

Dont let the green light blind to you too much

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    ^^ that's exactly why I keep harping on about "business decisions" when people (specially fans) talk about lack of need to release products.

It seems my comments go unread since people keep posting how "110" was not needed to be released... lol I have never seen this kind of behaviour ever...

Inter saying to shareholders: "Let's not release any more CPU's for the next 4 years, AMD needs to catch up and our CPUs are fast enough!"

If anyone find the above comment extremely stupid that's exactly what's being said right now on this thread about Nv's bigger chip.

does the mighty 104 seem like a good product? all indications say yes, do people want to go on having a mental diarrhoea and say the first thing that pops in their head? most likely.
    Intel does exactly that to some extent. Not for AMD to catch up but to get maximum return on research and development. In addition a weak AMD that is not a threat gets the trade commission off their back for monopoly practises. The less often Intel introduces new products the less they have to spend on R and D. Look how early we get leaks for future Intel products and we can see Intel could be way more aggressive with their release schedule.

Money is not infinite for R and D and is one of the biggest costs for both companies. I remember NV spends somewhere between 300-500 million a quarter on R and D, if they continue to release products as soon as they are finished, they would have a crazy hard time recouping costs. Unless the product is like bulldozer which was a total bomb, holding off to recoup money on R and D does have its pro's.

Releasing something half baked like the original fermi could do more harm then good and it might not be bad to hold off.
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    I partly agree with your statement, but this was aimed at the comments saying GK110 was not released because they didn't need to, not because it wasn't ready.

edit:**

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    The less often Intel introduces new products the less they have to spend on R and D. Look how early we get leaks for future Intel products and we can see Intel could be way more aggressive with their release schedule.
    they could be more aggressive?.... mate I do not think they could be any more aggressive than what they currently are. and yes we got info about Haswell already (because they spent a lot of money on R & D,and look, we are just getting SE-e and IB) these guys live of the verge of technology and they're very aggressive spending their resources on research...
    Last edited by kuroikenshi; 03-19-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Releasing something half baked like the original fermi could do more harm then good and it might not be bad to hold off.
    Who said Fermi was half baked? Fermi aside from heat was and still is a fantastic chip. Frankly most people forget that the CPU designs they use are modular and therefor they could and do scale the chip up or down based on the needs of the day. The real RND is not in the actual die itself but the interconnects and the modules themselves. Thats part of what bit fermi in the ass; they couldnt scale it down because each module was configured too large and they couldn't effectively harvest half-dead chips like AMD could thus now we see a super-scalar design from nVidia with much smaller stream processors.

I am quite sure that is without a doubt a GK110 exists; most likely what is going to happen is they are probly going to do another respin and add directX 12 much like what we saw with Cayman. Then they'll put it up against Hectoncheries
    Last edited by Sentential; 03-19-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    NZXT Tempest | Corsair 1000W
    Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Intel i7 2500K Corsair H100
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (700 / 1400 / 1731 / 950mv)
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Kingston HyperX PC3-10700 (4x4096MB)(9-9-9-28 @ 1600mhz @ 1.5v)

Heatware: 13-0-0

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
    Who said Fermi was half baked? Fermi aside from heat was and still is a fantastic chip. Frankly most people forget that the CPU designs they use are modular and therefor they could and do scale the chip up or down based on the needs of the day. The real RND is not in the actual die itself but the interconnects and the modules themselves. Thats part of what bit fermi in the ass; they couldnt scale it down because each module was configured too large and they couldn't effectively harvest half-dead chips like AMD could thus now we see a super-scalar design from nVidia with much smaller stream processors.

I am quite sure that is without a doubt a GK110; most likely what is going to happen is they are probly going to do another respin and add directX 12 much like what we saw with Cayman. Then they'll put it up against Hectoncheries
    Yields alone made it a bad chip. It was very fortunate for Nvidia, that they had a contract in place where they only had to pay for working chips which didn't carry over to 28nm. With the increase in wafers costs and the limited allocations they are getting, the better the yields of gk110, the more profitable it will be.

The gtx 480 original launch was hardly well recieved and was made a joke of from the AMD camp(i.e the commercial of gamers getting busted by the cops for too much power usage).

If Nvidia can release the fully realized gk110(ala gtx 480 vs gtx 580), it will probably be a better seller and allow them to make a better professional products that are not severely underclocked with a bunch of cores not activated like the fermi professional products.
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    Wishful thinking.
    Tsk tsk.

"Playing fair", or milking the masses? You decide.
    Case:

Xtreme Addict
    Asus has their subforum up for GTX 680:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

...and another vendor lists a (probably high for preorder) card... http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=NG8027 $558 shipped for an Asus.

EDIT: $585... lol... http://www.costcentral.com/proddetai...2GD5/11583991/
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 03-19-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post
    Tsk tsk.

So... you have nothing to refute?

"Playing fair", or milking the masses? You decide.
    What are you even trying to say? History alone would show that you're very wrong

A 800 dollar gtx 680 would not sell very well at all. That's limited edition card pricing and the ultra fell from 800($829 to $699) really quickly and that was in a bit better economy. There's a point where a high enough price will curb off demand and I think at that point, it is reached and passed. Dual cards can sell for that much because ultra enthusiast will pay more for dual cards. And even then, 800 is alot of money to spend and we haven't reached that point yet unless we count the ultra limited editions.

If GK110 was 800 dollars not only would the card not sell well, there would be no way even with that high a price that the Gk104 could be priced at $550. The only way GK104 can be priced so high is because it is the fastest thing from Nvidia. No way a midrange gtx 660(naming means alot) could be priced liked that.

Volume is the key. And releasing a half assed gk110(not fully mature) with terrible yields are hardly going to do anything with their profits. And would hurt the price the gk104 could be sold at
    That's what I was trying to say. All these stupid conspiracies about GK110 not being released because AMD isn't competing is stupid. If GK110 isn't ready, it isn't ready - hence why we have a GTX 680 first at $550. And for all we know, GK110 isn't close to being ready and may not be til the end of the year.

All the talk about Nvidia makes it sound like Nvidia can't adopt a similar strategy to AMD and go with getting a mid-range out first, especially on a new process, especially after learning from Fermi and past history

Xtreme Member
    GK110 is probably not ready yet, give it 3 months. Early speculation was we were gonna see the X60 card early anyways. So saying that is a more powerful card coming soon might not be off at all. Just 3 months or 6 months is the question.

Xtreme Addict
    *AMD clicking noises*
    Mum's the word, ole boy. I wish that I could spill the beans...
    Case:

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Zloyd View Post
    GK110 is probably not ready yet, give it 3 months. Early speculation was we were gonna see the X60 card early anyways. So saying that is a more powerful card coming soon might not be off at all. Just 3 months or 6 months is the question.
    September.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    September
    September.
    You keep saying that. What makes you so sure that it's true? Source?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    September.
    Prediction? Or based on fact?

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Page 72 of 143 FirstFirst ... 22626970717273747582122 ... LastLast