Page 31 of 143 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233344181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Kepler Nvidia GeForce GTX 780

Xtreme Member
    i think its time to close this thread. at least until we have some real official news

I am Xtreme
    all news is real to someone, as long as the thread isnt being flamed its ok if most of it is just rumors. atleast were organized this time around. fermi was a cluster[banana]
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fermi threads were hilarious...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    all news is real to someone, as long as the thread isnt being flamed its ok if most of it is just rumors. atleast were organized this time around. fermi was a cluster[banana]
    After have read some article today, i think what is real is: " they have read it somewhere .. " Still i start to get a real headache, can got a second 7970 tomorrow, but i really want to see what this kepler is...
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    lol yeah its a big problem when in one hand we have a great and fast video card (expensive but fast) and in the other hand we have rumours of faster and cheaper, it's only rumours stopping more of us rushing out and buying up on 7970s, green team propaganda has done its job, they have robbed the red team of sales with nothing but thin air. Then when Kepler does finally appear we will get rumours of incredibly fast AMD respin and it all starts again !!!

So sad .....

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    After have read some article today, i think what is real is: " they have read it somewhere .. " Still i start to get a real headache, can got a second 7970 tomorrow, but i really want to see what this kepler is...
    Why, everything seems to be indicating what is launching is not the high end kepler part so if max performance is what you are after the 7970 will probably still be the best option available until later in the year when high end kepler should be launching.

However depending on how the first launching keplers perform you may loose a little resale value but thats all subjective to the buying market at the moment since 7970 will most probably still offer the fastest avg performance and still be able to command a high price.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Why, everything seems to be indicating what is launching is not the high end kepler part so if max performance is what you are after the 7970 will probably still be the best option available until later in the year when high end kepler should be launching.

However depending on how the first launching keplers perform you may loose a little resale value but thats all subjective to the buying market at the moment since 7970 will most probably still offer the fastest avg performance and still be able to command a high price.
    Its exactly what i tell me so far....but still you can imagine im a little bit curious about what is this kepler one. ( for be honest, theres a second thing, i never run 2x gpu in dual without watercool them, and i wait for 2 EK ) .

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea deluxe View Post
    Google translate says "Waiting for Kepler ... Patience, patience, patience, the right time comes, and then ... there will not be cut for everyone!"

Anyone more versed in Italian care to translate? that last part?
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kgk View Post
    Google translate says "Waiting for Kepler ... Patience, patience, patience, the right time comes, and then ... there will not be cut for everyone!"

Anyone more versed in Italian care to translate? that last part?
    the last part can be translated in: and there will be no chance to beat it

Xtreme Member
    Ahh that makes more sense lol. Thanks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I sent a card to Make A Wish foundation and they told me to come here for "Make your own powerpoint slide Day"

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks!

Xtreme Addict

Well finally i have crack, ordered a second card, HIS this round ( want to see if i can touch a 1170mV ).... will take surely some GK, when they are out for get some fun too then.
    Last edited by Lanek; 02-29-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Xtreme Member

Hopefully we'll see a number of price shifts when Kepler debuts so buying 7970 at MSRP right now seems a waste for most people unless you're doing benching, bitcoin mining or prefer AMD's Eyefinity.

I mean for the average user/gamer (yes I realize this is XS), unless you're really hurting for a GPU upgrade, why not wait a month to see what pops up from NVidia before plopping down over $600. The price changes alone would probably be worth it. And by then you'll hopefully start seeing more non-reference 7970's if you're really a die hard AMD fan. For someone who runs 2560x1600, the 7970 gets a whopping 8.5 more average fps in Metro and 5.7 more average fps in BF3 at high resolution/detail level compared to a card that's well over a year old. I mean if 7970 and Kepler are supposed to be grouped together in "next gen", I see no incentive to jump in until we can see performance/price comparisons to Kepler. I'm not saying that as a "Zomgz AMD sux0rs, NVidia rulez", I'm saying it because with no competition yet in the "next gen", the 7970 can sit there and AMD can charge whatever they see fit.

I generally prefer to stick with the fastest single GPU card of a current "gen" once both companies have presented their product (barring any obscene pricing). Sometimes that's been ATI, sometimes that's been NVidia. Loyalty to a GPU manufacturer (or any consumer electronics company) is for rubes and shut-ins.
    Last edited by kgk; 02-29-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hopefully we'll see a number of price shifts when Kepler debuts so buying 7970 at MSRP right now seems a waste for most people unless you're doing benching, bitcoin mining or prefer AMD's Eyefinity.

I mean for the average user/gamer (yes I realize this is XS), unless you're really hurting for a GPU upgrade, why not wait a month to see what pops up from NVidia before plopping down over $600. The price changes alone would probably be worth it. And by then you'll hopefully start seeing more non-reference 7970's if you're really a die hard AMD fan. For someone who runs 2560x1600, the 7970 gets a whopping 8.5 more average fps in Metro and 5.7 more average fps in BF3 at high resolution/detail level compared to a card that's well over a year old. I mean if 7970 and Kepler are supposed to be grouped together in "next gen", I see no incentive to jump in until we can see performance/price comparisons to Kepler. I'm not saying that as a "Zomgz AMD sux0rs, NVidia rulez", I'm saying it because with no competition yet in the "next gen", the 7970 can sit there and AMD can charge whatever they see fit.

I generally prefer to stick with the fastest single GPU card of a current "gen" once both companies have presented their product (barring any obscene pricing). Sometimes that's been ATI, sometimes that's been NVidia. Loyalty to a GPU manufacturer (or any consumer electronics company) is for rubes and shut-ins.
    Couldn't agree more.

Xtreme Addict

I would like to see some price shifting as well but I'm not so sure we will with the first keplers hitting the market, the top performing card will always command a premium even if its only marginally faster. Unless the card nvidia launches is going to be a direct competitor performance wise it will hit at a different market and price segment without affecting the price of high end cards.

However if Nvidia manages to perform on par with the 7970 then there's a good chance we'll see some price adjustments from AMD.

I have no particular bias either on hardware, it all boils down to what I need for what I'm willing to spend when I'm ready to buy.

All my htpc's have AMD cards while my gaming and work systems I ended up with Nvidia hardware, that's just the way the cards fell.

As with all hardware, there's always something better around the corner, when I'm ready to buy I'm generally ready to buy without putting too much emphasis on whats around the corner, there's always something. If something that much better comes out it's fairly easy to sell off old hardware on ebay or friends.

Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    I would like to see some price shifting as well but I'm not so sure we will with the first keplers hitting the market, the top performing card will always command a premium even if its only marginally faster. Unless the card nvidia launches is going to be a direct competitor performance wise it will hit at a different market and price segment without affecting the price of high end cards.

However if Nvidia manages to perform on par with the 7970 then there's a good chance we'll see some price adjustments from AMD.

I have no particular bias either on hardware, it all boils down to what I need for what I'm willing to spend when I'm ready to buy.

All my htpc's have AMD cards while my gaming and work systems I ended up with Nvidia hardware, that's just the way the cards fell.

As with all hardware, there's always something better around the corner, when I'm ready to buy I'm generally ready to buy without putting too much emphasis on whats around the corner, there's always something. If something that much better comes out it's fairly easy to sell off old hardware on ebay or friends.
    That's not necessarily always the case. Even if a competing card is slightly lower performing, if it has a drastically better price/performance ratio the top end hardware could still see a decrease in price so that it doesn't price itself out of the market. Purchasing "what's available when it's available" is a perfectly reasonable justification for any hardware purchase though, particularly if something is badly outdated or broken. If you need a component at that very moment, you need the component. Simple as.

However if you can afford yourself the extra wiggle room to adopt a current "gen" once both manufacturers have a product on the market and prices normalize, you provide yourself with an advantage. It's true (to an extent) that there's "always something better around the corner", but timing your adoption cycles properly allows you to avoid significant price gouging by the first company to release for a current "gen" or fab process. If someone is running an AMD 5870 or 6970 series card, or an NVIDIA 480/580 series card, paying $600+ for a 7970 smacks of impatience. There isn't some bombshell gaming title being released in the next few months that will melt any of those older cards, necessitating the immediate adoption of the first 28nm GPU to cross the finish line.

In my personal opinion I think the 7970 is overpriced for what you get. You can get a GTX580 3GB card for $100+ less, moderately overclock it and wind up with roughly identical performance at high resolution/detail settings. So if it's a simple price/performance issue there are still better options than a 7970.

There are always early adopters of products/cycles. I'm just trying to make the case that I think it's prudent for those where a GPU upgrade is not an immediate issue to wait a month or two for a Kepler release and then look at the 28nm GPU market once the prices start to normalize.
    Last edited by kgk; 02-29-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    In my personal opinion I think the 7970 is overpriced for what you get. You can get a GTX580 3GB card for $100+ less, moderately overclock it and wind up with roughly identical performance at high resolution/detail settings. So if it's a simple price/performance issue there are still better options than a 7970.

There are always early adopters of products/cycles. I'm just trying to make the case that I think it's prudent for those where a GPU upgrade is not an immediate issue to wait a month or two for a Kepler release and then look at the 28nm GPU market once the prices start to normalize.
    I share essentially the same opinion, I don't really play any games that have been our recently such as BF3 or Skyrim simply because my GTX 470 will struggle at my native res of 2560x1440.

Even so, I see that the 7970 is very overpriced and even though it'll be a good upgrade i want to see what Nvidia bring to the table.

Even if it's only their mid range cards coming out, it should give an indication of how the High end will perform and at what price they'll be intering at.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    i think its time to close this thread. at least until we have some real official news
    No way dude, this thread is hilarious
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    I share essentially the same opinion, I don't really play any games that have been our recently such as BF3 or Skyrim simply because my GTX 470 will struggle at my native res of 2560x1440.

Even so, I see that the 7970 is very overpriced and even though it'll be a good upgrade i want to see what Nvidia bring to the table.

Even if it's only their mid range cards coming out, it should give an indication of how the High end will perform and at what price they'll be intering at.
    Even if it is lower end cards and they don't give us an accurate indication of GTX680 performance, at least it may help lower prices across the board due to increased competition.

Maybe it makes me "stingy" or a "penny pincher" but I think cranking down the detail level a wee bit on a few games for the next few months is a more prudent option than doling out more than $600 for a 28nm card that isn't that much better than a card from well over a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    No way dude, this thread is hilarious
    It isn't anywhere NEAR as bad as the Fermi thread from a few years ago. Good lord was that compilation of derp.

Xtreme Addict
    Even if it is lower end cards and they don't give us an accurate indication of GTX680 performance, at least it may help lower prices across the board due to increased competition.

Maybe it makes me "stingy" or a "penny pincher" but I think cranking down the detail level a wee bit on a few games for the next few months is a more prudent option than doling out more than $600 for a 28nm card that isn't that much better than a card from well over a year ago.
    I wouldn't call you a "penny pincher", you buy what you need at the price and performance level you find acceptable.

However this does not apply to the folks who consider spending $600 on a video card, this breed has a different set of standards and more power to them if it's worth it to them.

These are guys looking for performance first value second, to them the biggest value is in having maximum performance more so than price.

Hardware is a classic case of "to each his own", if it suits your needs and is within your budget who's to argue with them.

It wasn't that long ago really that I didn't bat an eye at buying a $600 8800gtx, at the time the performance was well worth it for me. Today it would take a helluva piece of hardware to get me excited enough to pony up $600 bones.
    Last edited by highoctane; 02-29-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Corsair VX450

I wouldn't call you a "penny pincher", you buy what you need at the price and perform at the level you find acceptable.

However this does not apply to the folks who consider spending $600 on a video card, this breed has a different set of standards and more power to them if it's worth it to them.

These are guys looking for performance first value second, to them the biggest value is in having maximum performance more so than price.

Hardware is a classic case of "to each his own", if it suits your needs and is within your budget who's to argue with them.

It wasn't that long ago really that I didn't bat an eye at buying a $600 8800gtx, at the time the performance was well worth it for me. Today it would take a helluva piece of hardware to get me excited enough to pony up $600 bones.
    The 8800GTX was definitely a special case. Price vs Performance it was on top of the world even at the $600 price tag--especially when you consider that up until the 8800GT the midrange was pretty horrid during the first year of its lifespan. IMO it was probably the best gpu of the last decade (runner up being the 9800pro 128mb). It actually beat SLi/CF at the time at stock with plenty of room to spare, and is still able to play games (albeit not maxed out any more) over 5 years later. THAT is technically a good value no matter how you look at it.

I don't see myself paying for another ultra high-end card again though. Not with these weak 30% performance gains the companies are showing us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Well, just got some solid info from one of the NVIDIA AIBs that Kepler GK104 will launch in April. Not anytime before that as it was reported by Sweclockers that it'll come in march.

http://www.maximum-tech.net/confirme...n-april-10041/

Xtreme Addict
    That link triggered a trojan hit on NOD32, connection terminated.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Page 31 of 143 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233344181131 ... LastLast