Thread: SSD Caching

SSD Caching

Can anyone please explain the difference between the Synapse SSD cache and the SSD cache that comes with the ASUS P9X79 DELUXE.

At first intended to buy the "OCZ Synapse Cache SATA III 2.5" SSD 64GB" and then I read about the ASUS SSD cache in the motherboard manual and thought they do the same thing.

So I changed my mind and bought the "Vertex 3 Series Solid state drive - 60 GB - intern - 2.5" - SATA-600" instead.

But now, today, while browsing the Asus forum I ran into an explanation from an Asus moderator that doesn't match with what I read at the OCZ site and here on the forum.

Thx in advance.

For those interested, I got an answer from Praz on the OCZ forum.

The ASUS caching solution can only be used with the two Marvell ports. Not only will the SSD be slower on these ports than when connected to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports but I think you will find that uncached data from the conventional drive will also be much slower with this configuration. The Synapse can be connected to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports for maximum speed. The caching software is also more finely tuned with the Synapse.
    So if anyone wants to buy my "Vertex 3 Series Solid state drive - 60 GB - intern - 2.5" - SATA-600" it's for sale (joke)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have the ocz-synapse and it's awesome