Thread: Honest opinion on (retail) sleeving work?

Xtreme Supporter

Question Honest opinion on (retail) sleeving work?

I love the fact that most online WCing stores now offer fan sleeving services. Thus far I've been happy with their work. Granted, I've primarily ordered sleeved fans from store A which is a well established WCing store. I recently placed an order for fans from store B which is also a well established store - albeit slightly smaller from what I understand.

I was shocked at the sleeving quality from store B. However, I'd like to know your thoughts (especially those who sleeve) before I contact store B. NOTE: The bare wire between the rubber sleeving and the mesh sleeving developed as I was handling the wire (e.g., taking it out of the box and unwinding it). It's almost as if the rubber sleeve was not tight enough to hold down the mesh sleeve and it worked itself free? Also, there seems to be more bare wire between the fan housing and rubber sleeving then what I typically see.

I've left out store names as I don't want this to be construed or turned into an attack on any store.

Thank you.
    Last edited by D749; 12-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    It seems the heatshrink came loose...
    If you look closely you can see an imprint of the sleeving on the heatshrink.

I like Store B's sleeving much better, it doesn't expose the wire. You know, like crappy stock PSU sleeving...
    Smile

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    It seems the heatshrink came loose...
    If you look closely you can see an imprint of the sleeving on the heatshrink.

I like Store B's sleeving much better, it doesn't expose the wire. You know, like crappy stock PSU sleeving...
    Thanks. When you say "expose the wire" you mean that store A is slightly transparent? That might just be due to how the flash hit the sleeving.
    Last edited by D749; 12-15-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by D749 View Post
    Thanks. You like B over A? B is the one that literally came apart in my hands.
    I just wonder why or how.

The quality of sleeving itself is obviously better, you can't see through it. The heatshrink probably should have been shrunk more around the sleeving though.
    Smile

Xtreme Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I just wonder why or how.

The quality of sleeving itself is obviously better, you can't see through it. The heatshrink probably should have been shrunk more around the sleeving though.
    I edited my original reply once I figured out what you meant but you beat me to it I guess. Thanks.

I am Xtreme
    Store B used the wrong size sleeving and heat shrink tubing, this is most likely why it fell apart. It looks like the wire may have required 1/8" sleeving and HS tubing and they used 1/4", if it (HS tubing) can't tighten up around the wires there's going to be room for the sleeving to wiggle loose.

As for better quality sleeving, if it's 3 x 3 weave instead of 1 x 1, then yeah, it's the good stuff but still the wrong size.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Supporter
    Store B never followed through with an RMA (there goes one loyal customer) so I went ahead and bought some new fans (same brand) to see how other shops sleeve. While you can see the wires with the sleeving of Store A the quality of the work is much better and I'm content with that. Also, when I go to disconnect the fan cable I no longer have to deal with the sleeving sliding down the wire like I did with the fans from Store B.

Xtreme Member
    You never know what your going to get when you have a store sleeve components for you. You are better off just buying the sleeving and shrink tubing yourself. With fans it is really easy. Power Supplies are another story though and not fun at all.

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit