Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Valve: "Something With A Three"

Xtreme Addict
    I agree with the AI not being that great in HL2, but Farcry was a point and shoot game, graphically nice, gameplay plain ordinary. AI leaps and bounds? in Farcry? lol, now I've heard it all.
    Last edited by Tim; 12-16-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    This just in: if DilTech wants a story, he'll read a goddamn book! Movies are only for totally sweet explosions, and games are for shooting gun at man. Right on, bro!

Why don't you just admit that HL2's sublime charm is just too subtle for you to appreciate. Also other good things.
    and Dr. Pepper 10 is just 10 manly calories!

I won't lie... My screen just got a coffee bath on this one. Well played sir, well played.

Seriously though, we actually use to joke about my qualms at the office. My old boss once cranked called valve's office saying "Hi, my name is Evol Eaready, and I'm presently representing the 90's. We're calling for Gabe with a Cease and Desist order to stop using our game play mechanics!". The secretary got a huge kick out of the whole thing... I wonder if he still has the recording...
    Last edited by DilTech; 12-16-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    25 hours if you walk backwards maybe.

The source engine was a revamp of their HL1 engine, which was itself a modified version of the quake 2 engine. So that's not a general statement; it literally IS a modified id engine. Valve aren't focusing on map design, because it's all single path beginning to end. They also aren't focusing on gameplay, because it's the same thing over and over again with very little added to it.

As for far cry, far cry was a shining example of the fact that story isn't everything. Far Cry's AI at the time of it's release was leaps and bounds above everything else out. Combine that with the huge open world that gave you multiple ways to handle every situation, and the fact that changing the difficulty didn't just mean "enemies survive more bullets (yes, that's the ONLY difference in changing difficulties in valve games) and you see just how much work was put into the game. It looked amazing, had an amazing setting, and played amazing (and it was the company's FIRST game no less!)... the ONLY place it lacked was the story. The AI alone gave the game replay value.

If I just want a story line, I'll read a book. If I'm playing a game, I'm playing it for the GAME aspect of it... Again I reiterate: I want valve to make something great. I really do. The problem is, valve have become complacent (much like Activision has with COD) and don't feel the need to spend the in-house hours to improve anything. I mean, why do the work if people are going to buy it anyway?
    i agree with the farcry statements, that game was awesome.

but HL2 was not the same thing over and over. each level of HL2 was about an hour long and consisted of something different, either driving, or team assaults, zombie killing with physics, etc. took me about 15 hours to beat and enjoy, probably can burn through it in 6-8 if i tried, and 20+ hours if on hard mode and moving as slow as possible. it also looked great and ran great, although that tech is quite outdated. havnt played portal 2 so i dont know how well the engine evolved since EP2.

if you want a story from a game or book is your choice though. for some of us we need to be immersed by the characters just as much as the textures.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtremeish
    HL2 looked aged when it came out. Horrible shadowing (using Q2's method of lighting and shadowing... literally) due to insanely low resolution light-maps and shadow-maps(you can COUNT the square in it without trying, it's like 320 resolution) completely ruined it as we already had Far Cry by that point which looked YEARS ahead of it. Valve STILL hasn't managed proper lighting or shadowing (it still uses a fake HDR method no less) and we're going into 2012. This is something other companies began to do right literally 7 years ago. Console games even have proper lighting and shadow these days.
    I just don't agree that Far Cry at that point is YEARS ahead of it. Checked some videos to be certain, and in my eyes HL2 comes out on top.

You really have to show an example of the shadow and light maps problem.

Skyrim's AI, as horrible as it is, is leaps and bounds better than any game valve has ever put out. Where did I mention skyrim's AI though? I mentioned it as an example that games don't have to have the worlds greatest graphics to look good, and it doesn't, but the sheer amount of work put into any one bethesda title is more than valve has put in since they opened their doors. I dare anyone to argue that point... It took valve 6-7 years to produce HL2 (which mind you, was a 10 hour MAX game with only one path from beginning to end), Bethesda has released TWO elder scrolls games in that time frame AND fallout ontop of that.

As for the dragons, there is more things in Skyrim than there is in pretty much every big title released in 2011 combined. That's not an exaggeration, that's an actual fact. Expecting every single aspect to be picture perfect is crazy talk, considering they managed THAT big of a game in the amount of time it takes valve to release an EPISODE of hl2. Compare that for a second. You're comparing a 100-200 hour game to a 10 hour game.
    I have no idea, what on earth was I thinking :p

Do you know how many employers Valve had working on HL2 during the 6 years between that and HL1? And do you take into account that they released STEAM in between as well as several other games?
    I am not going to look down on Bethesda's work, Skyrim has IMMENSE amount of content, no argument. =)

Also, HL2 shipped with A LOT of bugs. It was actually unplayable for more than a few people upon release, and a LOT of us had to deal with the "sound stuttering bug" as well.
    Didn't know. Never had any issues with it my self though. And I can't remember anyone complaining about bugs in it honestly.

I was a child when HL1 was released, 16 when HL2 was released.
    People remember Valve for what it is today, HL2 with its episodes, TF2, Portal and CS. Saying anything else is borderline trolling imo or "hatin" as Hornet put it.

We need to bury this, cause we won't agree with much here ^^

This just in: if DilTech wants a story, he'll read a goddamn book!

Have a nice weekend everyone
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

c[_]
    DilTech - the HL AI know how to duck, roll, and climb ladders. Also difficulty gives them faster response times.

just sayin'

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    DilTech - the HL AI know how to duck, roll, and climb ladders. Also difficulty gives them faster response times.

just sayin'
    HL2 AI only does those things if it's scripted to do so. If everyone remembers, Valve originally promised that NONE of HL2's AI would be scripted ( http://www.halflife2.net/forums/arch...p/t-12978.html ) Valve owned themselves hardcore on that one.

It's funny, because valve actually put the speech in for the AI to do some actual intelligent actions, BUT THE CHARACTERS AREN'T CAPABLE OF DOING THEM!

ST, if they have faster response times, I've never noticed. Only difference I ever could tell was how many shots it took (to the same part of them, the head) before the game would constitute a kill. They did the same action EVERY single time, because it's all scripted and never thinks for itself. It always knows where you are the moment its script has been activated.
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

c[_]
    I even remember them saying HL1's AI wouldnt be scripted.

Yup, but they still know how to duck/roll/climb ladders. Thats more than what you said: "The ONLY instructions valve AI has ever had, in ANY game, has been "if player in radius = true then charge at them". That's the entirety of their AI, literally"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Eson View Post
    Sven co-op 3.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    At this point, releasing Ep3 would be stupid if not insulting.
    The model of "One short episode every 6 months" utterly failed and enough time has passed to warrant an actual numbered sequel with a lengthy campaign.

It would be nice if it's released with a whole new engine, but Valve already said they don't plan to ditch Source anytime soon. So at most it will be yet another iteration of Source with new changes like it happened with Ep1, Orange Box and Portal 2.
    Bad decision IMO considering that currently there are quite a lot engines that are much more advanced than Source, and with the new generation of consoles around the corner they will start to be used more often (Cryengine 3, Frostbite 2 and even the newly showcased Unreal Engine 3 build).
    I completely agree with you. It seems odd that Valve wants to hang onto the old source engine. I understand it takes a lot of work to build an engine from scratch but like you said the next gen of consoles arent far off. My guess would be about 2 years or so. And with Cryengine and Frostbite engines ready pretty much for the next gen consoles (we will have unreal engine 4 too most likely) Something tells me they have and are working on the next gen engine. Would love to see all the games in the orange box upgraded with a new source engine. I would empty my wallet (again) in a heartbeat for that

Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    I completely agree with you. It seems odd that Valve wants to hang onto the old source engine. I understand it takes a lot of work to build an engine from scratch but like you said the next gen of consoles arent far off. My guess would be about 2 years or so. And with Cryengine and Frostbite engines ready pretty much for the next gen consoles (we will have unreal engine 4 too most likely) Something tells me they have and are working on the next gen engine. Would love to see all the games in the orange box upgraded with a new source engine. I would empty my wallet (again) in a heartbeat for that
    They released source based games on both the regular xbox and the xbox360... I wouldn't be surprised if they ride this engine out for another console generation too.
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts

Xtreme Member
    ive been thinking about this and why do you all assume when gabe says "were announcing something with a 3 in it" that its something that valve makes themselves? my guess is battlefield 3 will finally come to steam. let the wild speculations continue!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Just had a look at my Steam account and the last time I played HL2 it took me 12 hours. I think the first time took me about 15 or 17. So it's not a long game, but not short either. Did Episode 1 in 4 hours, and Episode 2 in 6 hours. Let's not go there LOL!
    Same for me; although I paid retail for the orange box, and thought the HL2 sieries was worth it on its own. The game just wins at the immersive storytelling
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180

Xtreme Member
    havn't they said this like two times before now? i seem to remember cryptic suggestions before announcements that could have been interpreted in any number of ways at least two times before now...
    3570K @ 4.5GHz w/ EK Supreme HF
    ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
    MSI OC 7970 w/ XSPC razor
    8GB DDR3 1600
    64 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD
    Fractal design Arc Midi w/ internal 3x140 SR1 rad

Xtreme Addict
    I wouldn't be surprised if Valve kept completely silent about Episode 3 until the day it goes gold. IIRC, the release of the Orange Box had little to no warning prior to release and I don't expect Valve to treat this game any different.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Did any of you guys happen to see this? http://www.black-aperture.com/

... and before anyone gets too excited, the Domain is registered to a David Hassen, not the Valve Corporation.

if you mess with the contrast/brightness and select the image on the page, you'll also notice a hidden Aperture Science logo in there.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Portal 3 ?

Gaming Rig
    CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (45W ECO mode)
    HSF : Noctua C14S
    MB : ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate
    RAM : G.Skill F4-3000C14-16GTZR x4 @ DDR4-3000 CL14
    VGA : MSI RTX2070
    PSU : Antec NeoECO Gold 650W
    Case : Corsair 100R ATX
    SSD : Samsung PM981a 1TB + Corsair MP510 1.9GB M.2 SSD

c[_]
    It is possible I guess.. they could be moving the Portal storyline up to get it in sync with the HL storyline so they can release HL3 maybe.

Xtreme Member
    who care about portal -_- we want Half Life series -,-
    Game Rig:
    Intel Core i7 920 (3.0Ghz) || EVGA X58 Classified (E760)|| 3x2 Gb A-DATA 1333Mhz Triple Channel + 3x2 Gb Patriot 1333Mhz Triple Channel || WD500GB + WD750GB + Hitachi 1TB || PowerColor Ati Radeon 5850 1024MB GDDR5 CrossFireX|| Chieftec 1020W || Acer 24" P243 (1920 x 1200) || Razer Copperhead Blue || Microsoft Reclusa || SteelSeries Seberia 7.1 || CoolerMaster CosmoS

Water cooling:
    WC HeatKiller 3.0 || 2x 120mm Koolance || Koolance RP-980BK || Koolance nozzles

Xtreme Addict
    ^^^ I have a feeling we'll finally be seeing Episode 3 in 2012. Back in 2007 when the Orange Box was released, Valve was already working on EP3. After 5+ years, I'm quite certain Valve is very close to a finished product. And while It's an unconfirmed rumor, a while back one of the voice actors supposedly commented on the dialog recording being 'finished'. Combine that with a Valve employee showing up at a game developer event sporting a Half-Life 3 t-shirt... It's pretty clear Valve is starting to feel comfortable enough with the games progress to begin feeding the blogs with hints.

My guess is that Valve will show off the game at E3 2012 here in Los Angeles and announce the release date of December 21, 2012. (Mayan calendar ends, aliens who visited earth thousands of years ago return and are the origin of religion, and of course this all ties into the Combine...)

Below: You are NOT looking at stone carving that is thousands of years old depicting a man/god/alien riding some sort of rocket while manipulating various controls, etc. Nothing to see here.

Truth be told, I've seen that relief sculpture with my own eyes about 12 years ago while in the Yucatan. Amazing stuff.

-- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Mentor
    When are they gonna release Half Life 3 i mean ya episodes are ok but HL2 was da bomb :P

I also have not Source2 engine again i hope that HL3 is not on Source engine...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Guru
    I really hope its Half Life 2 Episode 3; that would be the best christmas gift ever
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Did any of you guys happen to see this? http://www.black-aperture.com/

... and before anyone gets too excited, the Domain is registered to a David Hassen, not the Valve Corporation.

if you mess with the contrast/brightness and select the image on the page, you'll also notice a hidden Aperture Science logo in there.
    There's no image on that website.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    There's no image on that website.
    It's in the flash HL3 logo.

According to people on the steamforums the frequent appearances of lambdas in steam images are a hint from valve that ep3 or HL3 is coming.
    I really hope that is true, it's been 4 years with such an ending...

Xtreme Addict
    i'm bored to wait to awesome games ...

They forget i'm gonna get white hair before HL4.

With the amazing cash they're making with steam, they didn't engage more and more devs for HL3, so they are always 3 in a garage on ipods programming HL2 EP3, with f*cking hammer. They give their word that portal 2 will be sold with a map wysig editor ...

That's a shame valve, let's work instead of teasing us ...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaho View Post
    It's in the flash HL3 logo.

According to people on the steamforums the frequent appearances of lambdas in steam images are a hint from valve that ep3 or HL3 is coming.
    I really hope that is true, it's been 4 years with such an ending...
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta name="Status: Mark 7" content="2012">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" >
    <title>Status: Mark 7</title>
    </head>
    <body bgcolor="#000003">
    </body>
    </html>
    There's nothing on that page except a background color.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast