Thread: Need help, first time overclocking with maximus iv extreme-z

gschofield

Need help, first time overclocking with maximus iv extreme-z

Hi everyone, I recently finished my first gamer build and now I want to really start to overclock. I am running the i7-2600k on an ASUS Maximus iV extreme-z motherboard. The current factory OC options only let me go to 4.6. I know this CPU can go over 5 and I want to know how to properly get there. I have a complete EK waterblock cooling loop cooling both my CPU and my quad SLI gtx 590's. Can someone walk me through the steps and settings on how to manually overclock in the ASUS ROG BIOS section. It looks really complicated to me and I know there are a lot of people on this forum who know what their doing. Any help will be appreciated.

Xtreme Member
    First off I suggest you read some basic overclocking guides for sandy bridge processors (this is what your 2600k is). Your hardware is great so you definently have the right tools for this. The Maximus IV extreme thread will be a great resource for you, its basically 70+ pages of people discussing overclocking on your exact system. Heres a particularly useful post from this thread where someone posts his overclock settings. If your lazy, you can just copy these and tweak from there, sounds like you have the cooling these settings.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post4955484

Also post in the intel section not in the extreme overclocking forum this is for world records and such not water cooling.

gschofield
    Ok I will post there from now on. Thanks for your help.

PatrickCrowely
    Quote Originally Posted by POGE View Post
    First off I suggest you read some basic overclocking guides for sandy bridge processors (this is what your 2600k is). Your hardware is great so you definently have the right tools for this. The Maximus IV extreme thread will be a great resource for you, its basically 70+ pages of people discussing overclocking on your exact system. Heres a particularly useful post from this thread where someone posts his overclock settings. If your lazy, you can just copy these and tweak from there, sounds like you have the cooling these settings.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post4955484

Also post in the intel section not in the extreme overclocking forum this is for world records and such not water cooling.

Thanks for this, have similar setup & a rookie

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (Nanaimo is on Vancouver Island)

1st Time Overclocker asking for help.

With respect, I would like to say that I have been working hard for two days trying to learn what settings to use to overclock my Maximus iv Extreme-z with an i7-2600k. I have been studying for weeks trying to get a handle on overclocking. I really feel that I understand the process, however when it comes to filling in the settings on this board it is another exercise entirely. I applied the settings and I could not get it to boot. I resent it when I come to a forum such as this, looking for help, being told to go and do my homework and learn about overclocking and then come back for help. Anyone who has come to this forum will probably have done his (or her) homework otherwise it is not likely that they will be here. If I am able to help anyone in any way I will be happy to oblige. I don't mind the suggestion to go to another site where this is discussed in detail and thank you for that, but please do not assume that I am asking to be spoonfed. Some of you are younger and grew up with computers; please be a little patient with those of us who are nearing the end when we legitimately ask for help.