Thread: Project : Daedra

Xtreme Enthusiast

Project : Daedra

Hello Everyone, welcome to my first liquid build. I recently started my career as a SysAdmin and figured that the best way to celebrate, would be to build a new rig.

I'm not one to drag a build out over the span of six months so I hope that you will still enjoy what little anticipation I build.

For those unfamiliar, the name Daedra is from the Elder Scrolls series. The Daedra are these divine beings and creatures within the Elder Scrolls universe. The best weapons and armor are forged with the heart of a Daedra and in appearance the items appear black and red. Since my last two builds were silver and blue, it should be a welcome change in color.

Color:
    Yes, this will be yet another black and red build.

Computer
    1x Intel i7-2600K
    1x ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    1x Corsair AX850
    2x SAMSUNG Ultra low profile 8GB (Link)
    1x AMD Sapphire Toxic 6970 2GB @ 980/1500 Link
    1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
    1x Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB

Cooling
    1x Plexi EK Radeon HD 6970 v2*
    1x EK 6970 Nickle backplate v2*
    1x Straight Bitspower - Shiny Silver*
    8x Straight Bitspower - Matte Black*
    1x Bitspower Mini Valve - Matte Black*
    4x 90 Degree Bitspower Rotary*
    4x Ice Dragon Cooling
    1x Bitspower Deep Bold Red O-Ring
    1x EK Supreme HF
    1x PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 3/8" ID 5/8" OD
    1x Aquacomputer mounting bracket for airplex modularity system 280 (TOP)
    1x Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity 280 with built in reservoir and Laing D5 pump (TOP)
    1x Aquacomputer Airplex modularity system 280 (FRONT)
    1x Aquacomputer aquatube G1/4' Delrin black (FRONT)
    1x Aquacomputer faceplate stainless steel (FRONT)
    4x BitFenix Spectre Pro 140mm Fan - Red LED
    1x BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm Fan - Red LED

Case
    1x LIAN LI PC-V1020B

* = Ordered, awaiting shipment.

Previous Rig:
    This little guy used to have an e6600 when it was my HTPC. I did a few inexpensive upgrades to bring it up to snuff, it has served me well, but I was long overdue for a new computer. I have since passed this rig down to my wife so she can play Skyrim.

Intel Q9550 overclocked to 3.6GHz.
    Asus P5E-VM motherboard w/ pencil mod.
    Low profile Cooler Master 120mm HSF.
    AMD 5770 1GB GDDR5.
    6gb of DDR2-1066.
    480GB OCZ Agility SSD.
    Corsair 550watt.
    LIAN LI PC-V354A

Having completely fallen in love with Skyrim, I just had to get my hands on three monitors, I even de-bezeled them. This was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made in terms of computer peripheral purchases. The Steelseries 7G keyboard would come in close second.

*As a few of you may remember, this part of my post used to include pictures and measurements of a case that I was going to use. They have since been removed as the build is going a different direction.

The Plan:
    - Drill out all the grommets in the Lian-Li case to remove all 3.5" HDD racks and 5.25" CD bays.
    - Remove the wheels and replace with case feet.
    - Dremel a hole in the top of the case to facilitate a 280mm Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity radiator with built in pump and reservoir.
    - Mount one 280mm Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity radiator with built in pump and reservoir up top.
    - Mount one 280mm Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity radiator up front.
    - Make a custom plate to cover the three 5.25" bays and mount the Aquatube.
    - Retain motherboard tray functionality.
    - Retain power button functionality.
    - Retain the backside case panel functionality.
    - Leave the case open face.

Thank you for reading,
    Drew
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 01-18-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Member
    Awesome so far, I look forward to seeing how this build goes :-)

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The first post has been updated to reflect the complete list of parts that are going into this build.

Long story bro:
    As noted in the first post, I had to change computer cases.

Unfortunately, with the Lian-Li PC-V600FX, my top mounted radiator clearance would have looked pretty weird sticking a full 3/4" outside the case. My issue was that the radiator needed to just barely clear the motherboards VRM heatsink as well the PS/2 port's shiny exterior casing from within the case. With the correct clearance, I was not happy with the way that it would have looked so I decided to just get a bigger case.

Part of the problem (that I learned the hard way) was that although I measured the top part of the case for proper clearance with 2x 140mm fans, this particular radiator slightly overlaps on both sides of the fan making it much wider than I had originally anticipated. Even if I were to mount that top radiator in that small case, I was then presented with the issue of mounting the other radiator at the front of the case. That caused even more issues that would have required cutting through the bottom of the case and using the bottom of the radiator as one big case foot. The issue was strictly because of Aquacomputers wide radiator design, a typical radiator configuration; Phobya, EK, etc, would have looked spectacular in the Lian-Li PC-V600FX (mATX). However, the Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity series are a little more wide than normal. Strangely enough, even the 240mm radiator has the same exact width as the 280mm radiator, it's only the threaded screw hole placement that is different.

I highly recommend that case to anyone interested in building a small form factor liquid cooled computer. I will have it posted in the FS section soon enough if anyone is interested, just know that although it will come with everything, the case has all the internals removed. Also, because I switch cases I no longer have use for the 240mm radiator up front as my current case houses a 280mm radiator with 2 x 140mm fans. As such, the 240mm Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity radiator will also be in the FS section shortly.

Readers Digest Version:
    Aquacomputer airplex modularity radiators are wider than a typical radiator. 240mm and 280mm have the same exact width.
    This caused issues with the Lian-Li PC-V600FX(mATX) I was originally planning on using.
    I changed cases to a LIAN LI PC-V1020B.
    My Lian-Li PC-V600FX will be for sale soon. Let me know if your interested.
    My 240mm Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity radiator will be for sale soon. Let me know if your interested.

Progress
    In the end I am happy with the new case as it has a pull out motherboard tray, this made checking motherboard clearance so much easier. I measured many times over a over again in order to get the clearance just right. I did not however document the drilling and cutting as I didn't want to bore you. If you can believe it, the radiator actually rests atop the motherboard's PS/2 port (the shiny housing). I could not be happier with how well my measurements turned out.
    Also, worth noting, I hope that other users will find the 30nm Samsung DDR3 ram important for builds that require low clearance.

Here are some quick snaps of the top mounted radiator. I didn't bother to document the cutting and measuring process, I figured most people couldn't care less. Anyway, consider this just a tease, I will have some better photos for you as the build progresses. I was just so happy with the clearance in every direction. Also, no loops or liquid are flowing quite yet. I'm still waiting on some parts so this is just a test fitment and functionality test, so far so good.

Memory and VRM clearance:
    If you look very closely and you will see the 8-pin motherboard power cable (routed from behind the motherboard tray) produces a mirror reflection on the stainless radiator housing. Roughly <=1mm of clearance.

Case clearance:
    Right on the lip. If I so desire in the future, I may just make a full plexi window.

Top mounted:
    Sexy

This is xtremesystems, I wouldn't dare sacrifice performance by getting a radiator that would fit easily. I hope you guys can appreciate it so far.
    -Drew
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 01-18-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm still on air, but at least I get to use my computer. The Bitspower fittings will arrive this Friday. The EK GPU waterblock is still on preorder unfortunately, I don't really mind since Specialtech offered much better prices even after shipping than most other websites. I don't know if this holds true for other components but I saved about $30.

Long story Bro?:
    I did some work worthy of mentioning so I figured that it was time to post an update. The aluminum wheels have been removed and replaced with Lian-Li case feet, it definitely improved the look of the case (somehow, it just looks more sturdy). I would not stand for it being so high off the desk, towering above my monitors, it looks much better now. Then I took some matte black Testors model paint and I painted all the shiny exposed aluminum at the side of the case around the edges to prevent them from attracting attention away from the internals. This helps to keep the eyes focused on what matters instead of contracting construction features that didn't need the attention. I tucked both of the 240gb SSD's behind the PSU and quickly/ neatly tucked away the cables that aren't necessary. I also ordered an Aquatube for the hell of it. I also went to Fry's Electronics and purchased a large assortment of wire saddles. It was much cheaper than buying off of FrozenCPU, I have yet to organize the rear of my PC. Hopefully you will enjoy my limited photoskills. The pics above were taken with my iPhone 4, the pics below were taken with a Canon XSI that I have no idea how to use.

Readers Digest Version:
    Took off aluminum casters, put on case feet.
    Painted unattractive shiny parts on the outside of the case.
    Tucked two 240gb SSD's behind the PSU.
    Quickly organized the few cables in my case.
    I got an Aquatube
    I bought wire saddles.
    I took pictures

Progress:
    I gave the processor a slight bump up to 4.5GHz. I have yet to mess with any of the timings, I just wanted a quick boost for the time being. I also optimized Windows 7 for use with my SSDs, it actually made a world of difference in the benchmark results.

I figured I would try out this neat little gif maker. Hopefully it gives you a better idea of what a case looks like with no cd rom drive and no mechanical hard drives.

I figured I also owe you guys some better pictures of the top mounted radiator so you can really see just how tight it was

Here is how close it is to the low profile memory

Here is how close it is to the PS/2 casing.

Here is how close it is to the 8 pin motherboard power. If I continued to pull you would see how close the VRM heatsink is as well, I'm just not ready to redo the tucked cables at the moment, call me lazy.

If you look closely at the front mounted radiator you will know what they call it MODULARity. There are two ports on the front and one on the other side as well (6 ports total). I am really hoping to see these slick radiators in some other builds, I seem to be the only one so far. Am I the first?

A full picture of the case in its current form.

These fans are actually a really nice respectable red color. This photo does no justice but I didn't want to leave it out of the preview.

Now onto the special treat - The Aquatube. I plan on mounting this little guy in the empty hole at the front of my case. I have a plan on how I would like to mount it, I just don't care to share it just yet.

Thank you for reading,
    Drew
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 03-01-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Really nice hardware you have here, looking forward to seeing it all together.
    [3960X 4.8GHz 1.35v] [32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133] [EVGA GTX 680 SLI] [ASUS RIVE] [Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB R0]
    [EK Supreme HF] [EK RIVE Full Board Kit] [Coolgate 120.3 + 120.1] [4 x Scythe GT D1225C12B5AP-15] [BitsPower Compression] [MCP655]
    [3 x Acer S231HL LED 5760 x 1080 2d Surround]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thank you Mister Magoo! Me too.

I was initially just going to buy an EK kit off of FrozenCPU for ~$300. Then I remembered that I feel in love with the look of Aquacomputer components a few years back and decided to see what they had to offer nowadays. I'm very happy with my component choices so far and I couldn't be happier with the way this build is turning out. I'm hoping to upgrade to an dual graphics setup (maybe next year?), that "void" is killing me, haha.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    Thank you Mister Magoo! Me too.

I was initially just going to buy an EK kit off of FrozenCPU for ~$300. Then I remembered that I feel in love with the look of Aquacomputer components a few years back and decided to see what they had to offer nowadays. I'm very happy with my component choices so far and I couldn't be happier with the way this build is turning out. I'm hoping to upgrade to an dual graphics setup (maybe next year?), that "void" is killing me, haha.
    That is funny, my last build was AquaComputer and the one I just built is all EK. Had to see what they were all about. I love that Aquatube.
    [3960X 4.8GHz 1.35v] [32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133] [EVGA GTX 680 SLI] [ASUS RIVE] [Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB R0]
    [EK Supreme HF] [EK RIVE Full Board Kit] [Coolgate 120.3 + 120.1] [4 x Scythe GT D1225C12B5AP-15] [BitsPower Compression] [MCP655]
    [3 x Acer S231HL LED 5760 x 1080 2d Surround]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh nice! Well, I will have a little bit of both, I just hope they will look good together.

The Aquatube was kind of a last minute purchase actually. Initially I was obsessed with the thought of getting my hands on the Aquero 5 but I slowly came to the realization that I wasn't too keen on all cables and accessories that would clutter my case. I came to my senses and realized that Coretemp will do me just fine. I still don't have a fan solution yet, that is still in the works, I can only say that it won't be a bay device, I like it clean.

Back to the subject of the Aquatube... the top mounted radiator already has a built in (non-viewable) reservoir but when I was looking for a drain-port solution, I was left with less desirable bulky choices. There are good options like the Koolance QDC but I wanted something less "in your face".

Loop plan is:
    Exit top rad > enter cpu block > exit cpu block > enter gpu block > exit gpu block > enter front rad> exit front rad > enter top port of aquatube > exit bottom port of aquatube > enter top rad.

At the bottom of the Aquatube will be a compression fitting with a black hose (to blend in) going down to another compression fitting and the Bitspower mini valve. I plan to hide this hose behind the radiator. When I need to drain the loop, I will just take the backside of the case off and flip the valve. That should keep it simple and free of mess. I also won't have to worry about draining near the components.

I will go so far to say that this build should be complete sometime around the end of February. *crosses fingers*
    Last edited by 3lfk1ng; 01-26-2012 at 01:09 AM.