Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple may be using patent troll to do its legal dirty work

Xtreme Addict

Apple may be using patent troll to do its legal dirty work

It appears that Apple has made a deal with patent troll Digitude Innnovations to help the company's efforts to sue nearly every major mobile device maker. Digitude earlier this month launched one of its first legal attacks against Nokia, RIM, Motorola, HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony, and even Amazon, filing a patent infringement claim with the International Trade Commission. Conspicuously absent from that list is iPhone maker Apple, which until late November owned two of the patents being used to target "certain mobile devices" from its competitors.

As discovered by TechCrunch, Apple recently transferred ownership of a dozen patents to a shell company called Cliff Island LLC, which happens to share a New York office with the investment firm Altitude Capital Partners. Like Virginia-based Digitude, Altitude was founded by investor Robert Kramer.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...dirty-work.ars

....why cant apple just die...lol we need a holiday miracle man!
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just when I start to like my iphone 4, Apple acts like es and ruins the vibe. Good Job! Copying Rambus' business model.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Blame the patent system. Apple, being the money making machine it is, is abusing the out of said system.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Blame the patent system. Apple, being the money making machine it is, is abusing the out of said system.
    why not blame both, its one thing for apple to be a troll but its another to not be transparent and use shell corps since it dose not look good and people loose respect/loyalty when u are being a troll. and if apple loose this with a shell corp that has no money of its own the companies that they sued wont have a way to get damages from the troll when they (the troll) loose
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    If i killed a family member of yours because i could get away with it ("broken" legal system or something), would you blame the system?

The system may be broken, but Apple is still F***** A holes for doing alot of what they do...
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    If i killed a family member of yours because i could get away with it ("broken" legal system or something), would you blame the system?

The system may be broken, but Apple is still F***** A holes for doing alot of what they do...
    Amen, but that does not absolve the lawmakers at all for their part as enablers. The sad thing is that Apple is a company beloved by the masses, unlike the faceless Rambus whose sour note resonated in nearly all of us, not just those aware of previous incidents.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The more I read, the more I hate Apple?

Coincidence?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

c[_]
    As discovered by TechCrunch, Apple recently transferred ownership of a dozen patents to a shell company called Cliff Island LLC,

dangerous move, if samsung/nokia/google were smart they would find a way to do a hostile take-over or something.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    dangerous move, if samsung/nokia/google were smart they would find a way to do a hostile take-over or something.
    u cannot really take over a private company. and when rambus dose the troll companies they owe rambus a load of money out of the hole so they cannot loose assets if the company incurs damages as they owe rambus money 1st and have agreements to not loose the debt in bankruptcy.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    i hate apple.....this news makes me a saaad panda.

Xtreme Mentor
    it is just apple saw his murder by android. they are just trying to get more time thats all.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    That's all Apple does this days - tries to win easy and undeserved income... they patent so many stuff - that some would say that they invented everything tech related - even if that technology was available 10 years ago. When the others retaliated - they got so desperate that turn to Digitude, which is the biggest abuser of all...

Apple's future in terms of tech development - is pretty fuzzy anyway, so maybe that's the only thing left for them...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN View Post
    That's all Apple does this days - tries to win easy and undeserved income... they patent so many stuff - that some would say that they invented everything tech related - even if that technology was available 10 years ago. When the others retaliated - they got so desperate that turn to Digitude, which is the biggest abuser of all...

Apple's future in terms of tech development - is pretty fuzzy anyway, so maybe that's the only thing left for them...

see this is what i dont understand, its like for the last 20+ years ppl think that apple has been this saint that has always played fair, when in fact this is who they have always been? remember the court case against Microsoft? they tried to claim that the gui was theirs alone, the audacity that they have shown is sickening.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    see this is what i dont understand, its like for the last 20+ years ppl think that apple has been this saint that has always played fair, when in fact this is who they have always been? remember the court case against Microsoft? they tried to claim that the gui was theirs alone, the audacity that they have shown is sickening.
    this what they have always been but older days apple has not much to compete. they have their own products which had its own market. but now they are sharing market and trying to get more share by this acts.

Xtreme Addict
    Back then it wasn't that obvious... or should i say - this part covered 10% of their interest - wile now it's around 80%. As if Apple is dying and they try to milk every drop they can get, even at the cost of destroying their image.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    why not blame both, its one thing for apple to be a troll but its another to not be transparent and use shell corps since it dose not look good and people loose respect/loyalty when u are being a troll. and if apple loose this with a shell corp that has no money of its own the companies that they sued wont have a way to get damages from the troll when they (the troll) loose
    They may not be able to get the billions they deserve if the shell loses but they could acquire the patents in lieu of monetary damages. This would in effect be a massive pain for Apple as they could use those very patents against Apple.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    They may not be able to get the billions they deserve if the shell loses but they could acquire the patents in lieu of monetary damages. This would in effect be a massive pain for Apple as they could use those very patents against Apple.
    Ohhh.... goodie.

Hope they take the patents and just drop it.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    You guys still surprise of the tricks Close-Source companies use to exploit the market? Am not anymore next Windows will sue all logos that display the colours red green blue and yellow (chrome colours thats weird... )
    Last edited by davidkozat; 12-13-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Addict
    Well, it seems to me that Apple are turning into RAMBUS as of late because they have little to offer to the table so are buttering up lawyers and running around in iPanic mode trying to find as many concepts as possible to get their greedy iTroll patent hands on (lets hope they are not holding them correctly eh?).

The delayed iPhone 4S did not really stand head and shoulders above the competition, the iPad 3 is going to look pretty ordinary compared to Tegra 3 based tablets, and now intel and AMD are about to hop on the Android Alliance (sic) Millennium Falcon.

I fear that Android might not fair too well in 2012 due to various influences on certain judges within certain courts beyond our comprehension. In my opinion we are seeing some of this odd behaviour by judges already, for example the sliding to unlock rulings.

It has been said that Apple are trying to prevent Samsung from producing Rectangular phones and they are readily patenting concepts as opposed to real working DETAILED ideas? Sound Familiar?

From Le Fud

So here are some of Apple’s priceless design guidelines for smartphones:

Front surface that isn’t black.
    Overall shape that isn’t rectangular, or doesn’t have rounded corners.
    Display screens that aren’t centered on the front face and have substantial lateral borders.
    Non-horizontal speaker slots.
    Front surfaces with substantial adornment.
    No front bezel.

Not to be outdone in the lunacy department, here are some tablet suggestions as well:

Overall shape that isn’t rectangular, or doesn’t have rounded corners.
    Thick frames rather than a thin rim around the front surface.
    Front surface that isn’t entirely flat.
    Profiles that aren’t thin.
    So to summarise, Apple are now becoming nothing more than a glorified patent whoring iTroll as in my opinion Apple did NOT invent Black Front Surfaces, nor did they invent the shape we all know as the Rectangle

John
    Last edited by JohnZS; 12-13-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Summary
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Visitor
    Samsung counters Apple once again. Apparently, they own smileys and emoticons on cell phones:
    http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...-four-new.html
    http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...7B1&KC=B1&ND=4

Wanna look under my kilt?
    rectangles..... smileys..... the colour black.... very childish
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Mentor
    i love my apple but my apple doesnt love me as i love my apple

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
    Samsung counters Apple once again. Apparently, they own smileys and emoticons on cell phones:
    http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...-four-new.html
    http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...7B1&KC=B1&ND=4
    Love it, maybe they can stop Apple sales, that would be karma biting Apple's arse.

Xtreme Cruncher
    thank god the big SJ is dead, he would be ashamed of how his company is doing business......
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skycrane View Post
    thank god the big SJ is dead, he would be ashamed of how his company is doing business......
    I don't think so - did you not see that famous old interview where he gloats about what a good idea intellectual property theft is? Jeez, does no-one remember that the Lisa/Mac interface was stolen from Xerox Parc, yet he still sued Microsoft over "look and feel" when Windows came out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Software patents are mostly fail wrapped in fail sprinkled with fail and sautéed in a light fail sauce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast