Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New "Quantum Dot" technology will be used for flat panel TVs in 2012...

World Champion - IRONMODS
    That's why I just bought an OLED display

HMZ-T1 FTW!!!
    Last edited by miahallen; 12-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Have to concur here, displays are really slagging off for high res/large surface area displays. I'm still waiting for a good >90" display with 2160p native. Looks like I'll be waiting for several more years.

|.Server/Storage System.............|.Gaming/Work System..............................|.Sundry...... ............|
    |.Supermico X8DTH-6f................|.Asus Z9PE-D8 WS.................................|.HP LP3065 30"LCD Monitor.|
    |.(2) Xeon X5690....................|.2xE5-2643 v2....................................|.Mino lta magicolor 7450..|
    |.(192GB) Samsung PC10600 ECC.......|.2xEVGA nVidia GTX670 4GB........................|.Nikon coolscan 9000......|
    |.800W Redundant PSU................|.(8x8GB) Kingston DDR3-1600 ECC..................|.Quantum LTO-4HH..........|
    |.NEC Slimline DVD RW DL............|.Corsair AX1200..................................|........ .................|
    |.(..6) LSI 9200-8e HBAs............|.Lite-On iHBS112.................................|.Dell D820 Laptop.........|
    |.(..8) ST9300653SS (300GB) (RAID0).|.PA120.3, Apogee, MCW N&S bridge.................|...2.33Ghz; 8GB Ram;......|
    |.(112) ST2000DL003 (2TB) (RAIDZ2)..|.(1) Areca ARC1880ix-8 512MiB Cache..............|...DVDRW; 128GB SSD.......|
    |.(..2) ST9146803SS (146GB) (RAID-1)|.(8) Intel SSD 520 240GB (RAID6).................|...Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.....|
    |.Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Server.........|.Windows 7 x64 Pro...............................|............... ..........|

Xtreme Addict
    That's why I didn't waste much time deciding and went for the cheapest. Samsung LE46C630 for 600€ with shipping FTW!
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750

Xtreme Addict
    I have Samsung 50" plasma. Use it for PC gaming. Love it. Big picture is just awesome. Viewing angles are fine. Rather a large TV over a small super high resolution monitor.

You can go 2x3 23" monitors with Eyefinity. But such resolutions are massive and difficult to support without a very expensive rig. A 50" TV is as big, free of bezels and can be drivin off a single decent GPU.

I am really please TV technology is heading towards 'displays' (i.e. computer monitors)

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyMF View Post
    I have Samsung 50" plasma. Use it for PC gaming. Love it. Big picture is just awesome. Viewing angles are fine. Rather a large TV over a small super high resolution monitor.

You can go 2x3 23" monitors with Eyefinity. But such resolutions are massive and difficult to support without a very expensive rig. A 50" TV is as big, free of bezels and can be drivin off a single decent GPU.

I am really please TV technology is heading towards 'displays' (i.e. computer monitors)
    I agree, I'd been using a 32" 1080p Sharp for the past 4+ years as my main computer monitor, love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Since they dont use 1 led per pixel backlight, local dimming creates halo. OLED doesnt use backlight so you get perfect blacks and no halo.
    A properly calibrated local dimming set displays no perceptible halos/flashlighting for the vast majority of scenes. Only time its really noticable is on a black screen with a little network logo. That said i'd much rather have an OLED tv too bad they are still largely non existant.

Xtremeish
    Not a news thread worthy, bit old, but 2012 July. It will be interesting! This might overshadow the Quantum Dot tech a little.

According to reports both Samsung and LG Display plan to introduce 55" OLED TVs at CES 2012 (January 10). This is not surprising as this was announced before. According to the new reports, both companies want to introduce the products before the 2012 Olympics (which is a big event towards which many consumers buy a new TV) - which means we can expect those OLED TVs shipping at around July 2012.

LG Display is adopting a white-OLED with color filter design, which is less efficient than Samsung's true RGB OLED panel, but according to LG this will be easier to produce and ultimately cheaper for the consumer. Hopefully within a few months we'll know more about those TVs - including pricing details.
    http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-and...ping-july-2011

Also shows us a nerf to be able to deliver at a price consumers will accept, it's going to be silly expensive, no doubt, but at least it just might be the kick this tech needs atm!
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes, i was aware that they want to launch a 55" OLED next year, tho i didnt know about the white OLED one from LG. I guess white OLED vs rgb OLEd will be something like TN vs IPS. Cheaper but not as good. Exciting none the less.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtremeish
    Dunno to be honest, never read any comments on this White OLED type vs RGB OLED.
    I don't doubt though that White OLED will smack LCD IPS and Plasma up and down every day of the week :p EDIT! Maybe not, rofl...

Some information here, shows cross section of how the tech looks when simplified.
    http://pioneer.jp/topec/jigyo/oled/el_gijutsu1-e.html
    Last edited by Kallenator; 12-15-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    Lots of new stuff lately related to quantum spin lately, some made with chemical processes though.
    Been looking into this stuff alot lately, stuff like graphene and the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_copper_pillar_bump
    The above link isn't quantum related, but you get the idea maybe.
    Perhaps soon we will have cloth that puts out 250w or so from body heat.
    They say that the body puts off 1kw in space, delta temp energy wise.

White OLED vs RGB OLED? It sounds like they're just talking about using OLEDs as a backlight for LCDs instead of using regular non-organic LEDs in the same role like they do now. The real tragedy here is the reputation these technologies are building with the consumer public when they're not seeing what the buzzwords are really all about. I would hope that Samsung is doing a real OLED display instead of just using red, green, and blue OLED light sources mixed to create white. That is a thing that is done in higher-quality LED backlit LCDs to achieve a more natural white. That said, if anyone is a real OLED champion, it's Samsung, so I hope their "true" display really does translate to you staring directly at OLED pixels.

Example consumer:
    "I have an LED TV!"

No you don't. An LED TV would be like those insanely bright and vivid video billboards. You have a regular LCD TV that uses LEDs as a light source instead of a CCFL. You get basically none of the picture quality improvements an LED TV could offer, just lower power consumption and (frequently) bluer tint.
    Last edited by Particle; 12-15-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    White OLED vs RGB OLED? It sounds like they're just talking about using OLEDs as a backlight for LCDs instead of using regular non-organic LEDs in the same role like they do now. The real tragedy here is the reputation these technologies are building with the consumer public when they're not seeing what the buzzwords are really all about.
    Did't think of it like that, nice point!

I feel a bit like an idiot now... :p

It turns out that those OLED TVs will actually be white-OLED (phosphorescent based) with color filters - or actually OLED-backlit LCDs and not 'true OLED' TVs (in which each pixel is made of 3 RGB subpixels). LG's OLED-LCD TVs will boast 400ppi and will have better brightness and contrast compared to LED-LCDs though. Such white-OLEDs may also be applied to create OLED lighting panels. Back in June 2010, LG unveiled a 15" white-OLED with a color filter.
    http://www.oled-info.com/lgs-8-gen-l...-true-oled-tvs

However, if they can control individual LED's in the backlight, or at least very small number, then maybe just maybe we will get a more uniform backlight and as well get very high contras ratios.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 12-15-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    meh, I'll stick with my LED DLP. Waiting out the death of LCD....but by that time I'll probably have stopped caring and live out in the woods somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12