Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "Quantum Dot" technology will be used for flat panel TVs in 2012...

World Champion - IRONMODS

New "Quantum Dot" technology will be used for flat panel TVs in 2012...

According to The Telegraph we NANOCO will get their technology into ultra-thin & flexible flat panel displays next year!

Researchers have developed a new form of light-emitting crystals, known as quantum dots, which can be used to produce ultra-thin televisions.

The tiny crystals, which are 100,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair, can be printed onto flexible plastic sheets to produce a paper-thin display that can be easily carried around, or even onto wallpaper to create giant room-size screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme 3D Team
    Looks like its time to start bumping up resolution!
    Smile

Xtreme Mentor
    2012? I belive it when i see it.

SED, nop... OLED, not yet. We are still stuck with crappy (yes crappy) LCD and Plasma.

Edit: And come on! "Forget 3D, here comes the QD TV " Why do reporters write articles about stuff they obviously have no clue about?
    Last edited by eXa; 12-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    2012? I belive it when i see it.

SED, nop... OLED, not yet. We are still stuck with crappy (yes crappy) LCD and Plasma.

Edit: And come on! "Forget 3D, here comes the QD TV " Why do reporters write articles about stuff they obviously have no clue about?
    lolwut?

Plasma > LED in terms of image quality, the biggest problems with it are the large power consumption, size and humming noise - and all 3 of those have been greatly improved. My friends have LED tvs that cost a lot more than my panasonic, and even they admit mine blows them out of the water despite being cheaper
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    No they dont. The have led BACKLIT lcd tvs... And many of them have worse picture than previous models. OLED is quite something else.

And yes, i am serious when i say that both plasma and lcd are crappy. As you already mentioned, they consumes quite alot of power. Plasma is still not immune to burn in.
    LCD have crappy contrast ratio(Dynamic contrast introduces other issues). There is also wieving angle issues (glare, color shift++)
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Dispite the suggestive title, I'm also VERY skeptical
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member

Maybe something like this from Red Planet will be possible

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    lolwut?

Plasma > LED in terms of image quality, the biggest problems with it are the large power consumption, size and humming noise - and all 3 of those have been greatly improved. My friends have LED tvs that cost a lot more than my panasonic, and even they admit mine blows them out of the water despite being cheaper
    plasma has about the same power consumption and the humming noise is from samsung tvs only and it is for lcd and plasma.
    I have to be constructive and not spam !!!
    Friends don't let Friends buy gaming headphones !!

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    lolwut?

i have a panasonic s1 IPS 32" and its alot better than anything that is made now for lcd and it smokes any lcd with an led backlight since its got the better color of a CCFL but it has a bulb array like an led backlight has and it only uses 30W, and for plasma my parrents just got an st30 50" and while the picture quality is the best that u can right now from any plasma or lcd (mitsu makes a dlp thats better image quality but its only 60"+) its only using 63W so thats less than the sony led thats power consumption and its got better picture and every feature in the $2500 units from sony, sharp and samung but it was only $800 since no1 likes plasma for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    No they dont. The have led BACKLIT lcd tvs... And many of them have worse picture than previous models. OLED is quite something else.

And yes, i am serious when i say that both plasma and lcd are crappy. As you already mentioned, they consumes quite alot of power. Plasma is still not immune to burn in.
    LCD have crappy contrast ratio(Dynamic contrast introduces other issues). There is also wieving angle issues (glare, color shift++)
    its kinda sad but tvs have gotten worse and worse for image qualit, but that has mostly been due to CCFL backlights being phased out to get mercury out of tvs and the push for lower power consumption. but with power consumption when u set the tv up properly and dont run it in store display mode the power consumption is much lower than listed, the st30 my parrents got is rated at 155W continuous but it only uses 63W once i got it set up.

Quote Originally Posted by momomo6789 View Post
    plasma has about the same power consumption and the humming noise is from samsung tvs only and it is for lcd and plasma.
    all of the plasmas buzz, its inaudible once u properly set up the tv by increasing the pixel brightness and lowering the light output a bit so u only need 30-40% light output there is no buzz and much lower power consumption than the 70% that most sets come with. but as u said samsung sets buzz, thats not from being samsung its from samsung not including a proper list of settings on any reasonable priced units (so pixel and light and cannot be set independently but are in brightness). and on samsung they are despicable and sell most models with 1080p with only 900 vertical lines and make it so u cannot disable overscan so its 1:1 mapping but the edge of the screen is cut off and then they give a fake dot pitch rating as if it had 1920x1080.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    wont be buying LED or LCD until I see AMOLED screens on the market,

Xtreme Addict
    My 3 year old Pioneer Kuro plasma doesn't hum and still has a superior picture to many LCD TV's. SED was going to be the dogs bollux but never saw the light of day commercially Tv's should last 10 years not two years like PC's lol
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcY18 View Post

Maybe something like this from Red Planet will be possible
    Flexi AMOLED then will be it

Phenom II x6 1055T | ASRock 880G Ex.3 | 560Ti FrozrII 1GB| Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Win7 64 | M4 128GB

VR Box - i5 6600 | MSI Mortar | Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 | Viper 16GB DDR4 2400 | 256 SSD | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Xtreme Member
    lg and samsung are suppose to show some 55" amoled tv's at ces that are suppose to go into production in 2012 (god only knows the price of those things) dont lg's nano line of led tv's use "quantum dot" technology? id personally be happy with a 27-30" amoled monitor/ tv

if its one light emitting dot per pixel this could be the thing to make lcd tech work, but i would bet that it will be to costly like it is to make AMOLED that has enough power to illuminate its self (though that might have been to costly in power im not sure if it was price or power as to why it needs led backlights with phones.) and i hope its super amoled+ as without the super and + amoled is disappointing.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    My DLP has no screen blurr and decent blacks

Been debating on the laservue but not sure
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RADCOM View Post
    My 3 year old Pioneer Kuro plasma doesn't hum and still has a superior picture to many LCD TV's. SED was going to be the dogs bollux but never saw the light of day commercially Tv's should last 10 years not two years like PC's lol
    I am totes jelly, the original Kuros were monsters. Panasonic bough out Pioneer's plasma line, but afaik they never fully incorporated the technology. The blacks are really good on my gt30, but not as perfected as the Kuros I've seen. However the thing that really impressed me with my gt30 is just how thin it is given the amazing picture quality (and I really appreciated the digital optical out, made it really simple to hook up my receiver despite it being a 10 year old marantz). It's no thicker than most of the LEDs out there
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    So after all of your experiences so far what's the best system to be had??

What is to come in the future is "always" what is to be had though when released is beyond reasonable cost for a year or 2 after that.

I got a DLP 5 years ago and I am happy with it for my TV needs- though I believe it being designed before the flow of Blu-Rays to the market is noticeable at times
    [SIGPIC]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/wcgsig/566162.gif[/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Guru
    Honestly, they can take all these new technologies and cram them where the sun don't shine....or at least until they can actually nail down the quality of their current screens.

I mean look at this year's top LED TVs:

Sony HX929: colour shift, uniformity and rainbowing issues.

Sharp Quattron: Dead pixels and colour shift

Samsung UN55D8000: The image below taken of my test unit says everything....

I say get the current tech right before screwing up the next one too.

I am Xtreme
    The problem is the current tech... many of the things that plague LCD TVs would be gone with OLEDs or any of the newer display solutions... its a shame that SEDs didn't make it.. all due to crap patent shenanigans at the wrong time...

Xtreme Member
    i love my 82 inch dlp i also have a 50'' plasma Panasonic plasma it replaced. the black levels are worse, but i cant tell b/c the screen is so large black friday ftw 2x the size 1.8x the price. ill wait till oled @ 82 inches before my next tv.
    I have to be constructive and not spam !!!
    Friends don't let Friends buy gaming headphones !!

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Honestly, they can take all these new technologies and cram them where the sun don't shine....or at least until they can actually nail down the quality of their current screens.

I mean look at this year's top LED TVs:

Sony HX929: colour shift, uniformity and rainbowing issues.

Sharp Quattron: Dead pixels and colour shift

Samsung UN55D8000: The image below taken of my test unit says everything....

I say get the current tech right before screwing up the next one too.
    You really have to read up on OLED tech to understand how that argument does not make much sense. *Probably
    *Because once OLED screen launches to the masses in larger sizes we are going to see some problems before the technology properly matures.

As far as those TVs you have tested goes, I have a hunch that companies are slacking of because "the screens are good enough" and for watching the news/sports/sitcoms it most certainly is, most people don't even calibrate their screens so how would the average Joe ever know what is "better" anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    The problem is the current tech... many of the things that plague LCD TVs would be gone with OLEDs or any of the newer display solutions... its a shame that SEDs didn't make it.. all due to crap patent shenanigans at the wrong time...
    I agree, OLED is more advanced, but it's in a way simpler too, given that it's "self-lighting" and a "1-substrate" solution. It will fix almost everything, I have little doubt.

Until OLED time we still have SXRD/D-ILA for large screen movie watching which has gotten seriously cheap second hand and lovely IPS screens for the desktop.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 12-12-2011 at 01:56 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Mentor
    IPS has alot of issues too. LCD isnt really any good. Why waste time and money on "perfecting" an inferior tecnology when they could spend that time "perfecting" OLED or something else (Im not saying OLED will be perfect, but it certainly is much better than LCD and Plasma)

Xtreme Member
    The only decent lcd tv's employ local dimming. Unfortunately most tvs go for the slimer but inferior edge lighting instead /sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
    The only decent lcd tv's employ local dimming. Unfortunately most tvs go for the slimer but inferior edge lighting instead /sigh.
    most "good" lcds have full lcd/ccfl arrays (good ones or atleast properly configured dont use dimming), and good ones use IPS panels. thats why for lcd there are only 2 brands (panasonic and lg) that make good stuff anymore and make their own panels

Xtreme Mentor
    Since they dont use 1 led per pixel backlight, local dimming creates halo. OLED doesnt use backlight so you get perfect blacks and no halo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast