Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "STALKER" developer GSC closes its doors

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_J_Fry View Post
    some giant corp. will probably buy the STALKER IP and make some consoilzied derpy COD casual FPS out of it...
    i could so see EA buying the rights and slapping the frostbite 2 engine into it. Seems to be their strategy right now

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guys, relax. As of now we have a ton of unconfirmed stories, and some of the newer ones tell about the company simply moving to another building. So, lets just wait a little to see whats going on...
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Really hope its all PR. Please, please be PR...

edit: "News update to follow shortly" https://twitter.com/#!/gscstalker
    Its now or never, lets hope its good news..
    Last edited by wez; 12-12-2011 at 04:30 AM.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict

Not sure what all these means.

Maybe there's a chance of them starting back up in the future or something?

I hope GSC doesn't go under completely...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by prava View Post
    Guys, relax. As of now we have a ton of unconfirmed stories, and some of the newer ones tell about the company simply moving to another building. So, lets just wait a little to see whats going on...
    prava these are good words to heed in this age of constant and ridiculous internet rumor milling.

But I guess comments here, beyond the rumors, show people have really enjoyed the series and appreciate great work in games
    [SIGPIC]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/wcgsig/566162.gif[/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    They should make a donation page and self publish stalker 2 online if they get enough money.

Xtreme Addict
    I wonder how many copies of their game was pirated.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post

Not sure what all these means.

Maybe there's a chance of them starting back up in the future or something?

I hope GSC doesn't go under completely...
    It means ~ you're girlfriend is moving out but she still wants to be friends.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was never of those who used the phrase "PC gaming is dying", what I'm using instead is that it's *dead* (now). Because I know no other word to use for a platform which has no games of it's own. Sure we get tons of ports, but that's what they are *ports*, you can enjoy them better to the console that they were intended. Sure the phrase has been overused, but for once it's true (name me more than 3 AA titles developed *for* the PC in the last year or two).

As for the rest you're right, it happens when an industry gets too large, but what also happens is that innovation does *not* cease. Sure holywood took over film-making but you can still find decent movies (that can offer something new and/or interesting) if you know where to look. I just don't think that indie developers are of the same caliber as indie film-makers, not to diss their games, but they're not actually doing anything that ID, Valve, Black Isle haven't done 10 times better back in the 90s (as far as innovation goes)... *that's* what I miss, and nothing -I believe- can account for it apart from the loss of vibrancy that the PC developer community once had...
    Gaming on the PC is not dead it just has changed as PC's changed. Back in the late 90s, the heyday of PC gaming, everyone had a desktop as their PC. A desktop that was a mere couple hundred bucks short of being a pretty good gaming PC. That was a huge market of people to sell games to.

Fast forward. Now just about everybody has a laptop as their PC and it can't game for crap, there is also no way to upgrade it into a properly gaming platform. And if you did buy a desktop (which is now only done if you're too poor to shell out for a laptop in most cases) the form factor of a case it's in will not accept a proper GPU let alone the fact that the PSU would blow up if you went an tried to. So the market of people with actual gaming desktops has been shrinking. In general you're talking about a very small portion of people who have computers that are able to do it rather than everybody who has one.

Games still come out for computing platforms. Iphone/ipad games are kicking ass, silly little online net games, or games that don't require all that much graphical grunt (see source games and WoW) because that's what people can actually run.

You're not seeing the death of PC gaming just PC gaming adjusting to what owning a computer actually means for most people. Some of the games are plenty innovative and even fun.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme Member
    -even if stalker 2 is is not that good[port]
    I'll pay the money for the game and not look back - good or bad
    stalker games are like a art ,not a product in my eye's.
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Gaming on the PC is not dead it just has changed as PC's changed. Back in the late 90s, the heyday of PC gaming, everyone had a desktop as their PC. A desktop that was a mere couple hundred bucks short of being a pretty good gaming PC. That was a huge market of people to sell games to.

Fast forward. Now just about everybody has a laptop as their PC and it can't game for crap, there is also no way to upgrade it into a properly gaming platform. And if you did buy a desktop (which is now only done if you're too poor to shell out for a laptop in most cases) the form factor of a case it's in will not accept a proper GPU let alone the fact that the PSU would blow up if you went an tried to. So the market of people with actual gaming desktops has been shrinking. In general you're talking about a very small portion of people who have computers that are able to do it rather than everybody who has one.

Games still come out for computing platforms. Iphone/ipad games are kicking ass, silly little online net games, or games that don't require all that much graphical grunt (see source games and WoW) because that's what people can actually run.

You're not seeing the death of PC gaming just PC gaming adjusting to what owning a computer actually means for most people. Some of the games are plenty innovative and even fun.
    Has nothing to do with laptops - there are enough models that are capable of running a game at low-medium settings for those interested... PC gaming isn't dead or dying either... it's more like "some people don't like games anymore" - they used to, but that was years ago... and instead of thinking about it and realize the truth the blame it on the gaming gaming industry.... Most of those people - would literally have an orgasm back in the old days if they would get a play a game like some titles of today but now they're bitter persons when it comes to gaming and all they do is complain about it - like our parents and grandparents used to complain in the old days saying that "we young people (as we were at that time) don't know how to have fun"... yet we had a lot of that - but in reality they were the ones who didn't knew how to have fun anymore.

http://www.allpcgame.net/2011/01/lis...d-in-2011.html (sure - PC gaming is dead... ... more like "PC EXCLUSIVE" gaming is dead ...)

Making a game both for Consoles and PC is the smart way to go right now.... as mentioned in the other topic - yes devs are satisfied with 4 million copies sold on consoles but wouldn't mind milking the PC cow as well for at least 1 million extra copies... they would optimize the menus more for consoles that's true... but let's cut the crap... "Yes, Skyrim would have been nicer with a PC oriented GUI - but nobody can't say that the game is piece of crap just cause it's more consoles oriented (after few hours of playing the game i got used to it an didn't find serious reasons to complain from this point of view).

As for STALKER - was popular enough, so the sequel might come eventually... if they don't want or can't do it (they had a tiring experience on creating the first one... so it's understandable) - others will... lots of giant devs out there that are interested in a title that can sell based on the success of the predecessor... only thing with should hope is that "it won't get messed up" ...

Xtreme Member
    If not the greatest in engine, looks etc, one of the better concepts of games i`ve played the last years.
    Great they are back on track
    REX4F - X79A-Sabertooth
    Noctua NH-D14 Pull-Pull NoiseBlocker PK3
    X3930 @4.5 - 1,325V
    X3860 @4.5 - 1,28V
    Geil Ultra+ 6x4 7-8-7-24@1814 1,65V Elpida???
    Gskill RJ-X 4x8 9-11-11 @2200 1,65V Sammy
    580 SLI

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Excellent news! Would love some details though as to what exactly happened. Curious if there was a cash injection to keep them afloat or if someone discovered a secret stash of gold bullion when cleaning out their offices to depart.

Xtreme Member
    **RIG**
    -Intel i5 4670K 4.5GHz
    -Noctua NH-D14
    -AsRock Killerx87
    -Gskill 2100 c9
    -AMD Radeon HD7970
    -CM 690II

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Excellent news! Would love some details though as to what exactly happened. Curious if there was a cash injection to keep them afloat or if someone discovered a secret stash of gold bullion when cleaning out their offices to depart.
    You got a little more info here gomeler :

http://www.edge-online.com/news/gsc-...nish-stalker-2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123