Thread: Frameless fan for Radiator

barfastic

Frameless fan for Radiator

hey guys,

I have a question regarding a rather intriguing concept.

Ive been seeing alot of people remove the frames of fans (the square bit around them) example here.

Do you think this could work for fans on a radiator?

Doubt it will work very well. You'll lose a lot of of the fan's static pressure.

Xtreme Addict
    Agreed. The fans in that Murdermod case are meant to create airflow through an open case, so static pressure doesn't matter as much as it does for radiator. You'll definitely need some sort of enclosure for the fan to make sure most of the air gets pushed through the radiator, instead of being pushed to the side.

However, how much air gets pushed to the side, I do not know. I expect it to be quite a lot, but I could be wrong, because otherwise helicopters wouldn't be able to create lift either.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    However, how much air gets pushed to the side, I do not know. I expect it to be quite a lot, but I could be wrong, because otherwise helicopters wouldn't be able to create lift either.
    It's all in the design of the shape of the blades, i.e. airfoil. For our fans, I bet you're right though. They're designed with a farring, they most likely do not work well without it. If the OP is serious about this, then he should test some fans. Also look for something with small and near constant pitch. If the blade tapers down at the end, even better.
    upgrading...

Xtreme Addict
    As said for most fans you'll loose the static pressure that is needed for the rads. However I have played around with this fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103083

You can easily snap out the farring/shroud. My test show that this fan work very well with out it, and as a plus it is very quiet at high RPM's with it removed. The fan is otherwise very loud with it in place.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    On most good fans (Gentle Typhoons for example) the frame design is integral to the performance of the fan. I think you would lose a lot of static pressure, not saying it wouldnt work (you would still have some airflow) but it would be inefficient on a radiator.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    I like the idea alot and would look way cool. But as everyone else says you would probably lose static pressure,

Xtreme Member
    Bad idea. I had a try with AC F12 Pro on TC PA 120.3 which is as you all know constructed to work well with low RPM fans and the air current was very weak... So not recommended.

Xtreme Addict
    Many years ago I used a pair of de-framed 80mm just sitting at the bottom of the case for gpu cooling. Worked fairly well at the time at least. But for rads/sinks I cant see it working very well.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.