Thread: How to connect pump and reservoire

Xtreme Member

How to connect pump and reservoire

I plan to connect the reservoire directly to the pump (DDC 3.2 with EK top) inlet
    and have purchased the Phobya G1/4 to G1/4 nipple. However, the ID of the nipple
    is significantly more narrow than the standard G1/4 fitting...see the bottom picture

Would it hurt flow or performance of the pump if I connect the pump and reservoire
    with this nipple.

Or would a standard G1/4 fitting to fitting with a bit of tubbing be a better solution?
    Last edited by Bladesinger7x; 12-03-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 / i5 2500k / 8 GB Corsair Vengeance / Sapphire HD6850 / Crucial M4 64 + Samsung F3 500GB + F1 640GB / Corsair HX750 / CPU / GPU H2O / Sharkoon Seraphim rev.ATX

Xtreme Mentor
    I doubt it will hurt the performance. A lot of the SLI and adapter type are smaller ID than a 1/2" barb.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    It could cause cavitation in the pump.

That's what you get when you decide to buy a cheap Chinese knock-off made by Phobya...had you gone with a quality fitting from say...Koolance, you would have gotten a fitting with an inside diameter of ~9.97mm-10mm.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Prior to ordering I asked the shop what is the difference between this fitting and the Alphacool fitting which according
    to the pictures should have a wider ID ....the shop response was they are about the same ...so I ordered the Phobya

...this was a triple order ...first, last and never again ...the shipping was almost twice the price of the fitting ...and
    took almost two weeks to receive ...

Thanks Waterlogged ...it seems going with the standard fitting with a piece of tubing between is the safest way to go
    AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 / i5 2500k / 8 GB Corsair Vengeance / Sapphire HD6850 / Crucial M4 64 + Samsung F3 500GB + F1 640GB / Corsair HX750 / CPU / GPU H2O / Sharkoon Seraphim rev.ATX

Xtreme Addict
    I use a piece of tubing between pump and reservoir anyway simply because those fittings are excellent at transferring pump vibrations to the reservoir.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Chasing After Diety
    Here for you op:

it works fine... been using them on miyuki b4 i shelfed her...

Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Here for you op:

it works fine... been using them on miyuki b4 i shelfed her...

Are these high flow? ...mine is not ...the regular 1/2 barb has 10mm ID, the nipple however, only has about 5-6mm ID.

I read somewhere that Martin said that DDC tops would benefit from the narrower inlet ...however, I not so sure as to try
    ..I really dont like taking the loop apart ...once a year is more then enough

Technician
    Id use it but replace it next time you order from somewhere. Thats if it doesnt leak.