Thread: Finally!! Upgraded to a Galaxy S2 from a HTC hero. Advice please?

Finally!! Upgraded to a Galaxy S2 from a HTC hero. Advice please?

Well....finally I got a chance to upgrade my phone after about 2 years of putting it off. This phone is simply amazing! I have been using a 3G HTC Hero phone for about the last 2.5yrs.....and that thing was like watching paint dry , trying to use it!

I Have NEVER been able to download an app on my hero.....the phone was broke from day one! Hard to explain , but when i bought the thing , the firmware/hardware of some sort had an issue that even sprint mobile couldn't fix. Even last night when I got my new Galaxy S2.....I couldn't get any info transferred over.......sucks! Both shops asked me why I didn't return it (within warranty time ), which was my fault , but the local shop was giving me a run around story , it went out of business....and I got stuck with this phone.

OK....now , I still have a lot to learn on this new phone ( it does so much I barely know where to start). Any pointers , apps , games , or anything else would be much appreciated! I want to take full advantage of this sucker. Also have to figure out how to hook it up to my computer. So if you guys know the software I'm supposed to get ( are some better than others?) can you point me in the right direction?

I can't believe I'm this excited over a new phone.....but I haven't ever had a chance to play around with this new android stuff until now....pretty dang neat!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Member of XS WCG since 2006-11-25

instal l cm7, better firmware and no wiretapping
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I have samsung infuse. How do we get rid or block this carrier IQ?

Quote Originally Posted by anubis View Post
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Patriot Viper 8gb @2400 MHz
    Intel I5-3570*** LGA 1155
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    Logitech MX 3000 & MX1000
    RW DVD/CD
    Provided by Blue Sun Corporation! LLAP!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    also just got the Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989

Also bought a Sandisk 32GB mSDHC SDSDQ-032G-A11M and formatted to FAT32 and now reads 27.71

now, I'm trying to transfer my mp3s and mp4s to this ex_sdcard. it appears to work when my transferring from PC to mSDHC, but once mounted into the Gal S2, there's no file in there.

so rinse repeat the process, this time via USB from Gal S2, to the USB Music Folder, the mp3 file does appear. Unfortunately, this process takes another minute (on one mp3 file), because I have to "move" the mp3 from the USB Music Folder, "moved to" the ext_sdcard. I have many albums to transfers, and the thought of moving mp4 files, will drain the energy out of me.

Is there a faster way?

Win7Pro 32-bit/ ABIT IP35 Pro v1.1 BIOS v.16beta09/ Intel C2D E8400 Batch Q748A223 /Xigmatek HDT-RS1283/ 4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 5-5-5-18 1.80V ver4.1/ CORSAIR 850AX/ CM Stacker 830SE/ ZALMAN ZM-F3RL 120mm Red LED/120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Red LED/ Creative Labs Fatal1ty ProGamer/ MSI R7870/ Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW-HC...new FPS: Groundbranch.com/
    Ace's 40mm fan solution...be my buddy

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I can't speak for rooting / different firmwares. However, I have a couple apps that I love and use on a daily basis.
    Pulse: RSS / news reader. Awesome app.
    Pocket: Download websites / articles to read later (whether or not you have service)
    Swipepad: app launcher
    Eye in the Sky: weather app
    Any.Do: Best to do app that is available for Android
    I've had my phone for three months and I still haven't done everything I want to.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    instal l cm7, better firmware and no wiretapping
    Yup I agree root it and replace the hosts file.... immediately.

xda-developers is the place to go
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.