Thread: Vaccum to Bleed Loop

Vaccum to Bleed Loop

My current build I'm working on uses a case to house my PC and then a separate case for rads, pumps etc. I was wondering whether or not I could use a wet/dry vac to drain the loop as bleeding at the lowest point isn't a realistic option with this setup.
    My major concern is that even with the res cap off I'll collapse tubing on my rad etc when I attempt to do this.'
    Opinions/Experience?
    Last edited by Nigel; 12-01-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: replaced bleed w/ drain.
    Intel i7-970 4.5 GHz 1.25V | Asus Rampage III Extreme | Corsair Dominator 12GB | Asus 7970 DCII Crossfire | Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black | Seasonic X 1250 | Lian Li X2000-F | Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

EKWB Supreme HF | EKWB RE3 Fullcover | EKWB Ram Dominator | EKWB 7970 DCII Full Cover | Swiftech MPC 655 | EKWB Serial D5 Top | Watercool E.K. MORA 3

Xtreme Member
    I don't think a vacuum will pull air through the water and out of the system w/o taking the water with it. Just fill, run your pumps, add water as air settles out. If you can, lay your rads down on their sides to ease the bubbles passage through them. This way you don't have to force air down half the plenums. If you can get your resevoir to the highest point in your system during bleeding all your air will collect there eventually (24hrs. should do it). If your pumps are powerful enough though, they will ultimately push all the air into your rez just running in your final arrangement.
    Case: Lian Li A71F
    Sys: 3930k, Sabertooth X79, G.Skill 2133Mhz 16Gb, (2x) GTX 680
    (2x) WD Black 1.5Tb, (2x) Crucial M4 - RAID 0

Loop 1: Apogee HD, (2x) RX240, DDC3.2 w/EK v2 top, MCRES (R2)
    Loop 2: EK Full Cover (x2), RX360, DDC3.2 w/EK v2 top, MCRES (R2)

Chasing After Diety
    i used to vac the lines using a pool tube pump.

they have a pull part in those to deflate those long pool beds.

You just need to vac enough so u see the tubing compress a tad bit.. thats it..
    You hold vac for about 30 seconds... if it holds it will hold water.

dont use too strong of a vac or you will collapse your radiator tubes.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Sorry basserdan, just to clarify by bleed I meant drain the system rather than bleed the air out.
    Intel i7-970 4.5 GHz 1.25V | Asus Rampage III Extreme | Corsair Dominator 12GB | Asus 7970 DCII Crossfire | Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black | Seasonic X 1250 | Lian Li X2000-F | Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

EKWB Supreme HF | EKWB RE3 Fullcover | EKWB Ram Dominator | EKWB 7970 DCII Full Cover | Swiftech MPC 655 | EKWB Serial D5 Top | Watercool E.K. MORA 3

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Sorry basserdan, just to clarify by bleed I meant drain the system rather than bleed the air out.
    this makes no sense in a closed loop, just blow the other end and water will come out.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    this makes no sense in a closed loop, just blow the other end and water will come out.
    Agreed. Spend a few dollars and get some QDC's. I promise you won't be sorry and next time you have to drain the system you will be like OMG I LOVE these QDC's!!!!

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

Xtreme Member
    I'm doin' the qdc's too. Short of that... screw a fitting into your rez's fill-port, add length of hose - say, long enough to reach sink, keep it off your hardware, spin case until water is gone.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
    Agreed. Spend a few dollars and get some QDC's. !!!!
    still waiting for black ones of these, im not spending 30$ on fittings to replace them a litttle while down the road lol.. just doesnt seem right

Xtreme Cruncher
    Don't use a vacuum on your computer. It took loosing a graphics card to ESD to realize how dumb this is. It being wet may lower the risk, I don't know.

I'm so far too cheap for QDCs. I either design loops with 2 ports or pop a barb and use lung power (like naekuh suggested).
    upgrading...

Xtreme Member
    My current build I'm working on uses a case to house my PC and then a separate case for rads, pumps etc. I was wondering whether or not I could use a wet/dry vac to drain the loop as bleeding at the lowest point isn't a realistic option with this setup.
    My major concern is that even with the res cap off I'll collapse tubing on my rad etc when I attempt to do this.'
    Opinions/Experience?
    -I use a wet vac. having a remote loop.

-I have qdc 8" from the rear of the case and allows spare qdc to open the seals of the case qdc's ,inserting one at a time[res cap off] into the vac wand [1 1\4"] allows vac. control ,with my hand controlling the suction if required , just getting close to the end of the wand is enough suction ,works well to get most [90%-95%]of the water out . just use it slowly as it could imploded your res.\block's ,suck the o rings out of your loop. lol

-say if I'm taking the gpu block's apart , I also have some "D" plugs by the case pump to get the last drops out. also have other drain ports[T's] but are not required with the wet vac.
    -but yeah -1 second and the loop is drained. way better than normal gravity drain ,just can't check for crap in the water.
    Last edited by UNTAMED; 12-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

Holy_COW
    what about car brakes bleeding pumps?

Chasing After Diety
    im lost in general why do you need something to push water out?

if your having bleeding issues, it means your loop order was slighly messed up, or your tubing routing is messed up.

If your trying to get the water out of the system..
    Take a BUCKET and CUT the tubing somewhere in the middle.
    Drain that portion out, then take what god gave you as the best air pump in the world.. IE lungs... take a deep breath, and BLOW into one side of the tubing.

Pressure from that side will force water out the other where the bucket is in, and you just drained your system.

This is if your too cheap to buy QDC's.

But in all honesty i showed everyone here how great they are, and you realize most of the vets use them now for simplicity in maintance.
    So i suggest you follow the vets advice and just fork up 1 set of QDC's.
    You will swear its one of the best features you bought period.

The only time we ever used a VAC was to see if it would hold seal.
    WHY? cuz air is much harder to hold then water, and if it holds air it holds water.

No one does this, but it was practiced by people at DD and some here... i even got into the notion of trying it out because i used to leak a lot from rushing.
    30 minute VAC seal test vs a 24 hour leak test.. you do the math.

But other then that im lost in why u guys think a VAC is so important.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 12-04-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I have a small air compressor that I use to blow dust out of my comps. This compressor also works great for getting water out of a loop. I just blow into the fillport and let the water fly out of my drain. It works great to get water out of the blocks and radiators so that you get all of the water out of them. The amount of air is easy to control with a nozzle. I don't think that I'd try a vac as there is no way to really control the suction.

Xtreme Addict
    Have they made a vacc sys specifically for computer water systems yet like this one http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIsBEPMCMAE ?

Just wondering.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

When i used to work in a pub we had massive ice buckets under the bar that stored the ice for drinks. They weren't cooled in anyway so after awhile at non busy times the ice would be clogged up with water (which upsets people ... "stop watering down my drink"). We had these long tubes just like you would use on a watercooling system and we had a clip at the bottom of the bucket which we would attach one of the ends of the tube to and the tube would go about a foot up out of the big ice bucket and then the next 3 feet of the tube would go downards to a small bucket on the floor. I just had to suck once on the tube and the water would come out at a constant rate until there was just ice and no water in the ice bucket even though the water had to travel like a foot up vertically before being able to go down to the bucket on the floor and sometimes it would take 15 minutes to drain but i only sucked gentley once. Obviously for some reason the engery didn't dissipate anywhere but it would be cool if there was some way of utilising this phenomenal in some way to drain a watercooling system.

lol Wow this threads gone crazy while I was gone! I have a remote loop and it does use QDC's for the PC and radiator. I just need to suck out the long tubing line between the pump case and PC. I'm praying my Dual D5's are enough for this lol.

Chasing After Diety
    lol Wow this threads gone crazy while I was gone! I have a remote loop and it does use QDC's for the PC and radiator. I just need to suck out the long tubing line between the pump case and PC. I'm praying my Dual D5's are enough for this lol.
    the hardest part in bleeding is at the radiator...

especially if its hanging from the top with the barbs pointed down... this can be a newbie killer at bleeding.

Other then that.. dont worry... a single D5 could do that... you look at head pressure.. how much climb u have from base....
    The pumps we use all have MASSIVE head pressure compared to the fishtank power heads most people are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    the hardest part in bleeding is at the radiator...

especially if its hanging from the top with the barbs pointed down... this can be a newbie killer at bleeding.
    Luckily my radiator is last in my loop so it drains directly into my pump case where the loop drain is.

Xtreme Member
    you don't mean pumping it dry with your pumps (dual D5's) do you?

if you do.... do not!

No no no! lol I mean I hope they have enough head pressure for this loop. I think they should judging by my tests but really, you never know.until you give it a shot for real.

Xtreme Member
    Ok

I don't know what your system consists of but if you're running dual D5's on a single loop, you should be fine. D5 is a good, solid performer, good luck!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c.ruel View Post
    When i used to work in a pub we had massive ice buckets under the bar that stored the ice for drinks. They weren't cooled in anyway so after awhile at non busy times the ice would be clogged up with water (which upsets people ... "stop watering down my drink"). We had these long tubes just like you would use on a watercooling system and we had a clip at the bottom of the bucket which we would attach one of the ends of the tube to and the tube would go about a foot up out of the big ice bucket and then the next 3 feet of the tube would go downards to a small bucket on the floor. I just had to suck once on the tube and the water would come out at a constant rate until there was just ice and no water in the ice bucket even though the water had to travel like a foot up vertically before being able to go down to the bucket on the floor and sometimes it would take 15 minutes to drain but i only sucked gentley once. Obviously for some reason the engery didn't dissipate anywhere but it would be cool if there was some way of utilising this phenomenal in some way to drain a watercooling system.
    This is called a Siphon and it works through the magic wonder known as gravity :-)

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

Banned
    God himself invented the QDC.