Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 7000 Revealed: AMD to Mix GCN with VLIW4 & VLIW5 Architectures

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD need to improve driver!!

(Dirt 3)

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,86...fikkarte/Test/[/quote]
    Last edited by cold2010; 12-22-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    or maybe pcgh needs to make better reviews cause they are only ones getting such bs results lol
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    or maybe pcgh needs to make better reviews cause they are only ones getting such bs results lol
    seconded
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Guru
    I'm actually shocked by those PCGH results. What the heck?

Xtreme Member
    New BIOS to unleash the OC potential?
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1805/14/

Our friends at AMD were kind enough to send over the new BIOS file and the WinFlash tool that was needed to get the job done. AMD plans on releasing an executable of this BIOS to the public, but the one they sent us to distribute was having a few issues on some boards we tried it on.

Xtreme Addict
    ^^
    Me LIKES!!!

Xtreme Addict
    At first I was going to applaud PCGH for finally seeing a comparison with 3GB 580s but then realised how skewed everything else was.

Has anyone else got pics of resolutions higher then 1920x1080 with the 3GB 580s?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    7970 CFX @ 5760x1080

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html

I especially like the last paragraph in the review.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I'm actually shocked by those PCGH results. What the heck?
    They have not been invited to the launch ? I dont know what they do, but there numbers are far, really far..

I dont know if you have still the card sitting on your desk, but if you can try Dirt2 ( yes cold, this is dirt2, not Dirt3 ) .... it seems theres a nice bug for driver there, but at 105fps, not at 75fps 1920 as in there review .
    Last edited by Lanek; 12-22-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    It's not only a new product but a new architecture, it will take a few driver updates to get the best out of it.

Xtreme Member
    I'm loving those crossfire eyefinity benchmarks. Can't wait to have a 7990 under a block.
    Main Comp (Win 7): ASUS R4E, i7-3930k @ 4.9GHz, G.Skill Ripjaw Z 4x4GB @ 2133MHz, ATI 6950flash/6970 Xfire, Custom Watercooling
    3x Asus VW246H eyefinity; Polk Audio Monitor 40's (L,R), CS10 (C), Klipsch KG^4 (S), Sony STR-DA1000ES; all in a custom built desk
    Server: (Ubuntu 11.04) i7-920 @ 3.8GHz, 24GB G.Skill

Xtreme Member
    Any GTA4 benchmarks out there ? I remember HD6970 performs worse than GTX460, so it would be interesting to see if this card handles DX9+HDR any better.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_chill View Post
    Any GTA4 benchmarks out there ? I remember HD6970 performs worse than GTX460, so it would be interesting to see if this card handles DX9+HDR any better.
    Thats a driver issue ever since the last patch for GTA4. I doubt that is going to change any time soon.

Xtreme Addict
    Seriously, GTA4 is certainly the worst coded game of all time in PC.... ( if they was a price for the worst coded game, they will win, thats sure ) DX9+HDR have been made by ATI ( and with AA compability please and 128 bit HDR, not half as it was the case a long time with Nvidia ) ... ( Half life 2 lost coast, Oblivion... ).
    Last edited by Lanek; 12-22-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Seriously, GTA4 is certainly the worst coded game of all time in PC.... DX9+HDR have been made by ATI ... i can understand Nvidia have wanted to push this then, cause it was a big fail from them to dont support HDR on the X1900xtx time, but please dont use this argument.
    The game runs fine on Nvida. It is a long outstanding driver issue on AMD's part. Don't make excuses for it. I can play that game in 3d with very playable framerates. Just because it ran slow on your e8400 doesn't make it poorly coded. You guys complain when games don't take advantage of your hardware but when they do you complain too.

There are workarounds for the crappy performance since the latest patch on AMD cards and it runs great on any other patch. There is something specific that causes this that AMD just hasn't addressed. I forget exactly what it is but the info is out there.

Xtreme Addict
    ooohh, please.... even modders have make a better job on GTA4 of Rockstar themselves .... the launch of this game was absolutely horrible ( on PC ) ( i admit patch have been made then, and the game was run great,,,, before the last one, but seriously i have rarely see a company broke a game like that ).. This game have been released 2 years ago, and still there's some unnofficial and official patch for fix performance.

If there's one game to forget for reviews, this is GTA4... In 2015 this game will still be patched for fix performance and bug ..
    Last edited by Lanek; 12-22-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Well it was a port, probably a quick budget one as they spent a lot of time trying to make it run on Playstation3, and this caused a delay of 6 months as they wanted to launch it for PS3 and Xbox360 at the same time.
    But it is my favourite game ever so I don't care how badly coded it is, just a shame that I couldn't use HD6970 with the full 2GB RAM to run as smoothly as I hoped, had to settle for GTX560ti 2GB.

But the reason I ask is because GTA4 is the most video ram hungry game out there, and HD7970 has 3GB, so I wondered how it compares to GTX560ti or GTX580.

Xtreme Addict
    Well it was a port, probably a quick budget one as they spent a lot of time trying to make it run on Playstation3, and this caused a delay of 6 months as they wanted to launch it for PS3 and Xbox360 at the same time.
    But it is my favourite game ever so I don't care how badly coded it is, just a shame that I couldn't use HD6970 with the full 2GB RAM to run as smoothly as I hoped, had to settle for GTX560ti 2GB.

But the reason I ask is because GTA4 is the most video ram hungry game out there, and HD7970 has 3GB, so I wondered how it compares to GTX560ti or GTX580.
    I understand exactly what you mean .... well i think we will see soon enough peoples who run it with a 7K. lets have some hope to get a response about it soon enough.

I like the game, I hate Rockstar for what they have do with it.. but it is a great game.

Xtreme Mentor
    ooohh, please.... even modders have make a better job on GTA4 of Rockstar themselves .... the launch of this game was absolutely horrible ( on PC ) ( i admit patch have been made then, and the game was run great,,,, before the last one, but seriously i have rarely see a company broke a game like that ).. This game have been released 2 years ago, and still there's some unnofficial and official patch for fix performance.

If there's one game to forget for reviews, this is GTA4... In 2015 this game will still be patched for fix performance and bug ..
    The game runs fine on a Nvidia card with a decent quad core. Even at launch the game ran fine as long as you weren't using a dual core (which was very common at the time the game was released, I had one) and even then you could turn down a few settings and it would be playable. If you roll back the patch the game runs fine on AMD hardware too. The information is out there.

Has AMD even fixed the green artifacts in GTA4 when it rains?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They have not been invited to the launch ? I dont know what they do, but there numbers are far, really far..

I dont know if you have still the card sitting on your desk, but if you can try Dirt2 ( yes cold, this is dirt2, not Dirt3 ) .... it seems theres a nice bug for driver there, but at 105fps, not at 75fps 1920 as in there review .
    "Misprint"
    this is Dirt 3,

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,86.../Test/?page=10

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cold2010 View Post
    my bad.. ( well i have an excuse if they dont change the title of their bench, lol .... this site is certainly the last i will visit for choose a gpu, and i use Nvidia or ATI cards without any problem )
    Last edited by Lanek; 12-22-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    The game runs fine on a Nvidia card with a decent quad core. Even at launch the game ran fine as long as you weren't using a dual core (which was very common at the time the game was released, I had one) and even then you could turn down a few settings and it would be playable. If you roll back the patch the game runs fine on AMD hardware too. The information is out there.

Has AMD even fixed the green artifacts in GTA4 when it rains?
    I have not play GTA4 since a long long time ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    IMHO, it seems with this release, AMD prefers being early than waiting for better, more polished driver. The release driver seems OK, the stability's quite good, but the performance is rather lacking in my view. Perhaps they want to generate some good buzz after the abortion named Bulldozer. And so far, i think it works fine, though not as spectacular as they might have hoped for.

David Baumann @B3D forum:

You want to delay product that is ready and the fastest thing to be available for the sake of a little performance in a title or two? If that were the case we'd never release any new hardware. It not like performance isn't constantly improving on all hardware, it's just the rate of change will be higher with such a substantial change.
    The return of investment going GCN would be nice in the coming months IMHO.

About the pricing policy, i think it reflects strongly about the supply situation of the product, considering the limited capacity of TSMC's 28 nm process fabrication. It's stupid to price your product any lower when the supply can't cope with the demand, creating a higher real market price that goes to the retailer rather than the manufacturer, with no real gain in the market share.

EDIT: adding Dave Baumann comment that somewhat supports my assesment & thought.
    Last edited by spursindonesia; 12-22-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @4.0 GHz watercooled
    AMD Radeon HD 5850 @950 MHz
    4 GB Adata Vitesta
    DFI LanParty X38
    Creative XFi
    2 WDC black 640 GB RAID 0, 2 WDC caviar 1.5 GB
    Silverstone 700 w
    Thermaltake Kandalf
    24" Samsung LCD TV full HD

Xtreme Addict
    I don't understand how people can be disappointed about GCN. It's significantly faster than HD 6970 while consuming noticeably less power. For me, this is a good product. Yes, for someone who owns a GTX 580 this is no card to look forward to. But for people who buy bang for buck and keep energy consumption in mind, will have a great product on their hands. This is what I am and I will surely build a new rig with one of these cards.

Considering some people spilled doom on this card even before this was launched ("AMD will never have stable drivers at release"), I think it went better than expected.

Now I will wait and see what NVIDIA will do. Stick to the US-Credo: the bigger the better?
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I don't understand how people can be disappointed about GCN. It's significantly faster than HD 6970 while consuming noticeably less power. For me, this is a good product. Yes, for someone who owns a GTX 580 this is no card to look forward to. But for people who buy bang for buck and keep energy consumption in mind, will have a great product on their hands. This is what I am and I will surely build a new rig with one of these cards.
    on a xtreme forum anything above 1100mhz overclock is a good thing which the 7970 achives easily, the 580 not so much.
    7970 should be applaud, built a shrine to and worshipped like a toy from the Gods..
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast