Thread: Asus says older C32 board not compatible with new 42xx.. what would you do?

Xtreme Member

Asus says older C32 board not compatible with new 42xx.. what would you do?

Title says it all.. according to a pdf on Asus' website only boards purchased after Sep11 are compatiblie with Valencia C32 cpus. I of course bought mine last winter. Granted I am not home to check to see if the new 200x bios will flash on my older board, but in any case this is a huge stinker for me. Companies like newegg and others do not show which boards they have in stock, and Asus only states that serial #s are the key to compatibility.

So if what we are reading is true, I have a once top of the line C32 setup that can go nowhere other than Ebay really.

So I have a couple of options as I set aside money while I am deployed to replace the computer as my goal was to pop a couple 4284s into it as soon as I got home.

The 4184s run at a stock speed of 2.8ghz, but no turbo core. I've been looking at a top of the line FX and an AsRock 990FX Extreme3, as an alternative, but those of you who have had some time to play with the FXs may be able to steer me ahead, or down a different road. My watercooling setup is capable of decent heat removing capabilities and I have no qualms overclocking.

Also if somebody has a friend inside Asus that can ask them what is going on with the KCMA-D8, and why cant the older board support the newer 4200s. So far Tyan and Supermicro have released compatible bios for boards made BEFORE the KCMA-d8.

My system really does nothing more than Video compression, WCG/Boinc/Folding and older games. The 5850 will remain for a while still.
    Last edited by Hawkeye4077; 11-27-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    ASRock X399 Fatal1ty
    1950x Threadripper
    32gb DDR4
    GTX 1070
    __________________________________________________ ____

Xtreme Mentor
    well that's annoying and sucks.
    there might have been some hard wire changes gigabyte does this too.
    with new rev boards like ud7 and ud5 have rev 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0 printed on the motherboard.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.