Thread: Z68A-GD80 throttling

Xtreme Addict

Z68A-GD80 throttling

Working on a review for Z68A-GD80 and when ocing I encountered a throttling issue. Basically the cpu drops to 4.5 under load for any oc past 4.5 (1.42v). Im thinking it is power limit kicking it but I see 0 power limit adjustments in BIOS. Im looking for long duration power limit or similar or if anyone know why else cpu would throttle like that lmk. Using V18.4B2.

Thanks
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

I am Xtreme
    This was an issue for some users on the GD65, as well. The release BIOS didn't have the problem though, and they eventually released a working BIOS a few months after the launch, if I remember correctly.

So...try first BIOS, or ask for a fix.

Xtreme Addict
    The BIOS itself allowed for higher power limit or the BIOS added an option to increase long duration power limit or similar? Dont happen to know which version do you or a spot where several BIOS files are compiled so I can try a few?

I have contacted MSI but it is holidays in the US so who knows when they will be around to get back to me.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

I am Xtreme
    I am not sure what the exact problem is. Might just simply be an OCP limit, or something...the board does have an unmarked 3-pin jumper by the VRM controller, right? Not too sure what it does, as I haven't checked the controller schematic...but that's the only reason I can see for that jumper to be there. Dummy-protection, maybe.

Anyway, I got my GD65 about 3 weeks before the launch. About a week before the launch MSI provided me with a new BIOS, and I was told it would be flashed to all shipping boards. I do not have any problems with these BIOSes.

EarthDog did a review of the same board for overclockers, and was stuck @ 47x, as were a few other users. They notified MSI via the MSI forum, and an updated BIOS was released a short while later.

The BIOS I have for my GD65 is listed as a different version than the release BIOS, and uses a differnt naming scheme, so I'm not too sure what version you should try...other than the very first one. My GD65 had very good memory compatibility, but the GD80 is a different board, so I have no idea as to how to overcome the problem exactly; it just seems far too familiar.

Most of this story is in the comment section for my GD65 review. I'm pretty sure EarthDog listed the working BIOS number and such there for the GD65. Perhaps there's a working BIOS for the GD80 on the MSI forum too.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok I found a list of betas on MSI forums so Ill try those. Thx
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Addict
    Just wanted to post that this issue is resolved in the following beta BIOS: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?ac....0;attach=9029
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team