Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 233031323334353643 ... LastLast

Thread: ***ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Owners Thread***

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    How do you explain all the people complianing about bent pins at newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13

I am personally a little bugged about it and I have have been looking at other boards.
    Read my quote again carefully....

"Although going though RMA again sucks, I'd stick to your guns about the bent pins as there are other reports, and secure a new board."

I'm pretty clearly saying that I'm also aware of other bent pin reports and that he should get another RMA.

That said, let's be honest here. One mobo "caught on fire," another with a broken PCIe clip, then another with the bent pins. That's one a heck of bad luck streak. But in any event, another RMA is best course of actions.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    Come on. Please don't blame my ''skills''. I'm building computers since 1984. Were you even born? Just kidding.

I probably had over 40 Asus motherboards at home over the last 10 years, and never had to RMA a single one. None. I transfered those mobo countless times in different PCs for people I know without money, to help them get a computer. I gave over 20 used computers to people in need, and to kids who can't afford them. Some of those mobo are still working fine after 7-8 years! Never broke a single one.

So let's recapitulate. 1st Rampage. Installed only bare system, everything at stock, BIOS at stock, 1 GPU, after 10 minutes at Win7 desktop, bad intense burning smell coming from under the fan chipset. How can it be me? Please explain. Bare system like I always do. CPU, 1 GPU, 1 HDD. Nothing else. Everything at stock.

2nd Rampage. I've used those PCI latch maybe over 100 times before, never broke one. Always really careful, just pressed on it, without even pulling the card, pouf, explosion. And I had to remove it because the 4th PCI slot stopped working for no reason, and the GPU in that slot started artifacting badly a couple of days before. The slot died before I tried to pull the card out. I'm in Quad-Fire 4X 7970, and the 3 other cards went out of their PCI slots without any latch explosion. But ok, blame it on my lack of skills, my arthritis, or my stupidity, or my cat. Fair enough.

Got my RMA for my artifacting 7970. They say it can't be repaired and are exchanging it. So what happened? Not my fault, and Asus agree, and are exchanging it on warranty. 7970 broke the PCI slot, or the PCI slot broke the GPU? Don't know. But let's blame it on me. No problem. But something happened, since the card was artifacting badly. But ok, blame that one on me, since I can't prove it's not my fault.

3rd Rampage, directly from Asus. ''Brand new, and verified'' by the guy sending it out to me. Take out old Rampage, remove 3930k, revome black plastic cap on CPU socket of new Rampage... Sigh. I see this:

6864563552_263ff459ba_c.jpg

Please explain how I could have done this? The Asus guys wants to blame me again for this. They blame me! Should I film myself opening any future RMA replacement with my lawyer and 3 witness, with my hand on the Bible while removing the plastic cover on the CPU socket? What can I do to prove to Asus that those bent pins were there on the board before I even touched it? It's simply impossible to prove it. So please, give me a solution. Since you are implying that you have better skills then me. What did I do? Played with my cat, sent a ball of paper on the socket, and the cat jumped on it, and bent the pins? Maybe I tried to remove the plastic cap with a hammer? No, there would be more bent pins with a hammer, you can trust me.

And what about those other reports of brand new Asus mobo with bent pins. People lying? Cats and hammers?

My ''old'' Rampage. Pins are perfect. Took both pics with both Rampage side by side.

7010679461_af0dedbf6c_c.jpg
    Last edited by Levesque; 03-24-2012 at 03:43 AM.
    i7 3930k EK-Supreme HF - Asus Rampage IV X79 - QUAD-Fire: 4X Asus 7970 EK waterblocks - 4X4GB=16GB RipjawsZ 2400 CL9 - Crucial C300 128Gb M4 128Gb 2x Intel X25-M 160GB 3X Seagate 2TB - Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 - Dual-PSU: Antec HCP-1200 + Corsair AX850 - EyeFinity 3X 30'' LCD - Windows 7 64

Evil Kitty
    I'm not blaming your skills. Please read my post very carefully. All I am saying is that receiving 3 bad mobos in a row "looks bad" to anyone reading your post. You even must admit that the chances of receiving 3 bad motherboards is very slim, no? But, like I said in my post above, perhaps it is indeed just a very bad run of luck that you have had. It certainly is possible. My point was that there are not many other users experiencing similar situations here (repeated bad boards), on ROG, or anywhere. Yes, there are definitely posts about quality issues like any other motherboard, but I don't see a huge number of these compared to the positive stuff. That's all I'm saying. Now, having said that, I have seen a few more reports about bent pins. That may be an issue. I've seen enough reports of bent pins on new mobos to suggest that you fight for you RMA on this and get it replaced without cost to you.

So please don't take my post personally. I know you are frustrated. But if you have been building as long as you say you have, you should know that 3 bad mobos in a row is extremely rare regardless of the quality of the brand. So even though you likely have just had some terrible luck you need to deal with perception issues from the RMA dpeartment. But, I did side with you on the bent pin issue and say "stick to your guns" and fight for the RMA. I think you have a case there. The purpose of my post was to comment that most folks aren't experiencing the same kind of repeat issues as you and that the RIVE, overall, has been a good board for most people.

Good luck and I do hope they cover your board without cost to you.

BTW, I was long out of high school in 1984 and unfortunately I'm probably older than you
    Last edited by mdzcpa; 03-24-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    Ok, sorry. But put yourself in my shoes for 2 minutes. I'm fighting to get a new Rampage for 2 weeks now. It will be my 4th one. Getting tired of arguing, sending e-mails and making phone calls to Asus. And in the end, they send me a replacement with bent pins, and then talk like they don't believe me, or that I did it... It's really annoying and frustrating. Like I wasn't extra careful with that replacement board. What can I do to prove I didn't do it? Nothing! Like I would lie about that. Look at the pics. Those are bent pins. Did they take any pic fo the board before sending it to me? No. And then they tell me it's impossible. I did it. Sigh...

Call me unlucky. My wife can't beleive all this. I'm sooo careful with my computers. She always laugh at me. We have 4 high-end computers at home, all with Eyefinity set-ups, multiple GPUs, to play LAN games. All watercooled. I'm always extra careful when doing a build. Never had to RMA a board before. Run of bad luck all right!

Thank you for the support. It's good to know I'm not the only old geezer around here.
    Last edited by Levesque; 03-24-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    i7 3930k EK-Supreme HF - Asus Rampage IV X79 - QUAD-Fire: 4X Asus 7970 EK waterblocks - 4X4GB=16GB RipjawsZ 2400 CL9 - Crucial C300 128Gb M4 128Gb 2x Intel X25-M 160GB 3X Seagate 2TB - Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 - Dual-PSU: Antec HCP-1200 + Corsair AX850 - EyeFinity 3X 30'' LCD - Windows 7 64

Xtreme Addict
    Wierd and wonderful issues here... My new RAM basically won't boot pat 2400 (in fact most of the time getting 2400 to work is a nightmare).

Rolled back to 1005 and it boots with the RAM at 2560 but once I'm in Windows everything reports something different... 667, 800, N/K...

Going to try 1202 and see if it makes a difference... pretty peeved off at this RAM so far
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by RCG_Bex View Post
    Wierd and wonderful issues here... My new RAM basically won't boot pat 2400 (in fact most of the time getting 2400 to work is a nightmare).

Rolled back to 1005 and it boots with the RAM at 2560 but once I'm in Windows everything reports something different... 667, 800, N/K...

Going to try 1202 and see if it makes a difference... pretty peeved off at this RAM so far
    what ram?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Is anyone having hard locks with the X79 + 7970 Crossfire? I've been pulling my hair out the build is rock solid for BF3, but most other games randomly hard lock my machine.
    Main System Main System:
    CPU: i7 930 @4.2ghz
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified E760
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
    Video Card: EVGA GTX580 SLI
    Audio: Creative Piece of crap PCI-E soundcard
    Power Supply: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200w
    Case: Silverstone RV02-E
    Monitor1: Alienware AW2310
    Monitor2: Alienware AW2310
    Monitor3: Alienware AW2310

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    Read my quote again carefully....

"Although going though RMA again sucks, I'd stick to your guns about the bent pins as there are other reports, and secure a new board."

I'm pretty clearly saying that I'm also aware of other bent pin reports and that he should get another RMA.

That said, let's be honest here. One mobo "caught on fire," another with a broken PCIe clip, then another with the bent pins. That's one a heck of bad luck streak. But in any event, another RMA is best course of actions.
    Some people have also reported the board catching fire. Granted the people were probably using crappy psus. Motherboard manufactures should list the kind of amps needed for motherboards not just have a dumb QVL list. They barely test anything and the QVL list is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
    Is anyone having hard locks with the X79 + 7970 Crossfire? I've been pulling my hair out the build is rock solid for BF3, but most other games randomly hard lock my machine.

Have you tried the 8.96 drivers?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Cata...load-2867.html

The 8.95 have opengl isssues for me.
    Last edited by safan80; 03-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by l0ud_sil3nc3 View Post
    what ram?
    Team xtreem 4x4Gb 2600 CAS10
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=8&subcat=817

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"

XIP
    Team xtreem 4x4Gb 2600 CAS10
    Did you try run XMP 2600?
    Last edited by Dumo; 03-25-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    If I put it on XMP 2600 it doesn't run at 2600. You have to set the BCLK up to reach 2600 and then it doesn't post... XMP 2400 works but very hit and miss depending on CPU clock speed..

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

XIP
    If I put it on XMP 2600 it doesn't run at 2600. You have to set the BCLK up to reach 2600 and then it doesn't post... XMP 2400 works but very hit and miss depending on CPU clock speed..
    I tried a 3930K C1 that will do 2400 easy but no 2600, but my 3820 will easily went 2600+ with the same ram. It seems that IMC is the determining factor.

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm... As I say I've managed 2560 but no higher... Same with some gskill stff earlier in the year (I don't think as high as that though)

I think I'll keep playing around a while longer, see what I can achieve...

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    definitely IMC related Bex, do you have another chip to test with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Xtreme Addict
    Unfortunately not... Oh well...

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Xtreme Member
    Is it possible to RAID under the Asmedia controller on this board??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Levesque View Post
    Ok, sorry. But put yourself in my shoes for 2 minutes. I'm fighting to get a new Rampage for 2 weeks now. It will be my 4th one.
    I feel your pain. I'll be receiving my third one from newegg... First one is the one I'm using has two "longer" pins than the rest, so they will inevitably bend. At first I thought I could be blamed, but after careful inspection and some "needle" work where the pins were straightened out, I found out they were indeed taller. Thank god the board is working fine, though at first I had problems with instability and blamed the board with its bent pins. Then to my surprise I received my second one with a dead ram slot. Thanks to Hivizman a moderator in the rog forums I followed his procedure and found out my gskill kit 32gb (4x8sticks) had one bad stick. Now talk about a round of bad luck... Additonaly my cpu has this black spot, probably caused by a mini-short, where the longer pins are located but it still manages to overclock to 4.7 with 24gb of the gskill ram 12 hour prime blend. So call me crazy but I might end up with two bad boards, one bad kit of ram, and a faulty cpu partially due to the first board's manufacturing defect.
    Last edited by Guz; 03-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRigDriver View Post
    Is it possible to RAID under the Asmedia controller on this board??
    No, only under intel chip.
    CPU: 3960X @ 4.8GHZ
    Motherboard: RIVE
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133@LC9
    GPUs: Quad-SLI 580 @ 970
    Case: MM Ascension CYO
    PSUs: Corsair AX1200, Enermax 1250

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
    No, only under intel chip.
    Is it a good idea to mix SATA3 & SATA6 drives to RAID? I have two samsungs 830 on the SATA6 & have a couple of extra Corsairs that I'm thinking of raiding but will have to add them on the SATA3 slots. will I take a hit on performance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can do two things.
    1: RAID-O the two Samsung 830's on SATA 6 and then RAID-O the two Corsair on SATA 3 for 2x RAID-0's.
    2: You can put all four ssd's on SATA 3 in RAID-O this will run at SATA 3 speeds.
    I've run 3 different ssd controllers, 2 Samsung 830, 3 OCZ VERTEX, and 1 Vertex 2,
    total 6 drives in RAID-O on 2 SATA 6 and 4 SATA 3 ports all in one RAID-0.
    The 6 mixed RAID-O ran fine @ SATA 3 speeds....
    These drives were 5 128gig and 1 120gig drive.
    Last edited by Skully; 03-29-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    ASUS=Rampage IV Exreme
    CPU=3960X @ 4.8Ghz
    Ram=32GB MushKin BlackLine @ in Flux
    GPU=CrossFire 6950 flashed to 6970

Speed=2x Samsung 840 pro 256 RAID-0
    Storage=SeaGate 1TB
    PSU=Corsair HX1000
    Case=MM UFO
    Cooling=Water cooling
    Monitor=Dell UltraSharp U2711

Xtreme Addict
    I have a question about some interesting behavior on this board: my raid array works with the bios set to ahci. If I enable raid on the board, my old os install didn't boot due to the missing driver, and a fresh install wouldn't work for the same reason; I didn't bother loading the raid driver. I installed a fresh os in ahci mode, and after installing the intel rapid storage driver, my raid array came online. Its really for the best as I don't have to wait for that raid bios screen during the post, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong performance wise. Its just a bit confusing.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

Xtreme Member
    Download latest raid drivers from Asu. I dont remember which one at tmoment as im away from my computer, theres a folder with the drivers in it, copy your flavor(32 or 64 bit) then put on a usb stick. Point windows to the drivers during installation & you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6 View Post
    I have a question about some interesting behavior on this board: my raid array works with the bios set to ahci. If I enable raid on the board, my old os install didn't boot due to the missing driver, and a fresh install wouldn't work for the same reason; I didn't bother loading the raid driver. I installed a fresh os in ahci mode, and after installing the intel rapid storage driver, my raid array came online. Its really for the best as I don't have to wait for that raid bios screen during the post, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong performance wise. Its just a bit confusing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nicklas0912
    After some break with OC, I got a 5870 home yesterday to have fun with, but for some reason I cant get my CPU stabil at 5100Mhz as I normaly did with GTX 580,
    is like 4 weeks ago had I it at 5.1Ghz 100% stabil.

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6 View Post
    Your are not really running in RAID under ACHI. Your fresh install is only on one disk. When you installed the Intel Rapid Storage Driver it is reading the old boot sectors from both disks from the old RAID set up that was never deleted and reports it as RAID.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    Your are not really running in RAID under ACHI. Your fresh install is only on one disk. When you installed the Intel Rapid Storage Driver it is reading the old boot sectors from both disks from the old RAID set up that was never deleted and reports it as RAID.
    What? My raid array is not the os disk, and it most certainly is two disks seeing as it is a 600gb disk in disk management and is made up of two 300gb velociraptors... Like I said, it is working perfectly normal under windows and benchmarks show regular raid 0 speed.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 233031323334353643 ... LastLast