Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help Bex whilst she's in the US!!!

Xtreme Addict

Help Bex whilst she's in the US!!!

No idea where to post this. I'm in NYC for a week and would like to know where's the best / cheapest place to pick up some shiney new PC parts (ideally on the isle of Manhatten unless someone is going to commute over!).

CPU's will have to be OEM in order for me to get them through customs / reduce weight etc. I don't think I'll manage a mobo through unless I claim it on gift (up to £400) and I think RAM is currently more expensive in the US.

Help much appreciated!!! Help a girl get back into OC'ing!!!

PS. Movieman / Dave - now's your chance to say hello in person! However I will not be modeling the XS thong :P
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCG_Bex View Post
    No idea where to post this. I'm in NYC for a week and would like to know where's the best / cheapest place to pick up some shiney new PC parts (ideally on the isle of Manhatten unless someone is going to commute over!).

CPU's will have to be OEM in order for me to get them through customs / reduce weight etc. I don't think I'll manage a mobo through unless I claim it on gift (up to £400) and I think RAM is currently more expensive in the US.

PS. Movieman / Dave - now's your chance to say hello in person! However I will not be modeling the XS thong :P
    Awww shame about the thong - seriously though good luck with the trip Bex.

Mark
    CPU: Core I7 920 DO
    Mainboard: Giga-Byte X58a-UD7
    Ram: 6GB Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD5870 vapourx
    PSU: Silverstone DA850
    Storage: Intel X25 M G2 80GB x 2 Raid 0
    Seagate 750+500 drives for storage

Xtreme Memory Hoarder

If I were you I would head over to Microcenter (Long Island/Westbury or the Yonkers location) for your cpus or find a member and have it shipped to their spot from someone like newegg since they will be your best bet.

3930K's are like $600 at newegg and $650 at Microcenter while the 3960X is $1050 at newegg and $1150 at Microcenter but I think they are giving a free Corsair H80 for that price so its a so so deal.

I can't find anyone with a RIVE so I am going to wait until I can snag that.

Xtreme Addict
    Just thought of something, if I can get the CPU OEM and a board that's <£400 then the CPU can sit in the motherboard socket for the journey home. Sorts that problem.

Newegg don't have a store though do they? $1050 = ~ £650 which is about £150 cheaper... I don't really want / need a Corsair H80 cause I won't be able to take it home...

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Just thought of something, if I can get the CPU OEM and a board that's <£400 then the CPU can sit in the motherboard socket for the journey home. Sorts that problem.

Newegg don't have a store though do they? $1050 = ~ £650 which is about £150 cheaper... I don't really want / need a Corsair H80 cause I won't be able to take it home...
    I take it back MC has it for $1050 with the H80 so a better deal, and I don't think they come oem, however Microcenter has a store front

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/westbury.html

Xtreme Addict
    I don't see the offer with the cooler? (although I may be blind)

Oh yeah.. it isn't OEM... BOO!!! More difficult to ship back then...

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    I don't see the offer with the cooler? (although I may be blind)

Oh yeah.. it isn't OEM... BOO!!! More difficult to ship back then...
    it's on the front page

http://www.microcenter.com/

Xtreme Member
    What about buying them in store and shipping more expensive things to your own place back in UK? I know customs will rip you off but should still come up cheaper than here.
    Also are they that thorough with outgoing baggage?
    I remember shifting the whole PC in my luggage from Lithuania to UK. Got through they checked the bag but didn't notice anything suspicious .

Xtreme Addict
    Well Muz, I'm in the US for a week's holiday so figured if I could I'd pick it up and save the shipping

And they shouldn't be too mean. Providing the boxes / reciept for the cpu isn't around when I go through, and if they ask about the mobo I'll show the reciept showing it costs <£400 so no charges :p

Whole PC's are easier... you explain you went to a LAN party and PC was pre-shipped etc.

As far as I've been told by colleagues, US would give me the TAX back before I leave and not care what I leave with, but the UK do care when I get back. But I come back Sunday morning so maybe people will be kind / not around

@ l0ud_sil3nc3 - d'oh! Telling you, I need to go to specsavers!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Xtreme Member
    Yes I understand about saving on shipping, but with all the shenanigans with uk customs its better be safe. They might even ask to pay custom clearance fee for expensive stuff. At least I had to pay £30 for shoes I bought in us. And they cost 'only' $150
    by the way my co workers come back with half the shop when they go for holiday in us

Xtreme Addict
    They're not meant to charge you providing you don't spend more than £400. I have it in writing in my paperwork so if they ask I'll flash that :P

- Anything to declare?
    Nope.
    - What's taht big shiney box?
    A motherboard.
    - Looks expensive... How much did you pay for that?
    $399.99 *shows reciept* Too good a deal not to buy sir! *prays he doesn't know they don't with with CPU's pre-installed*

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Xtreme Member
    Haha, and the guy at the customs says: ooh, nice cpu as well. I got mine oced and watercooled, how much was that?

Xtreme Addict
    Uh.... um.... it's a dummy CPU... I thought it'd look cool to my friends... Pretend I got the chip of my dreams... Maybe Santa will bring me a real one for Xmas?

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

XIP

V3 Xeons coming soon!

And you think I'm traveling almost 800 miles round trip and no thong?
    Lady, you really haven't learned anything about men yet!
    Good and safe trip to you!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    LOL well if you bring one from store then I'll wear it with a ladies fit t-shirt. I'll even consider jumping into the pool like that!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :

Technician
    Say neither motherboard nor cpu are working and its for a showpiece. Other option competition prize, but they like you to have proof for that. Customs value $0.

They dont have the ability or time to either value or test it. White box it up and ship yourself the packaging and accessories back - value $0 . Done many times - declared first time and got told to go through nothing to declare in future. This is at both Manchester and Liverpool.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really think if you just bring it with you without the packaging ( on the plane with you is what I mean, customs won't care ). Customs would care though if you brought it back just to sell, but if it's for your own use you shouldn't have a problem, at least thats the case with US and Taiwan Custom, Never been to UK haha.

I've brought back and forth several systems, worth over 1K each, and GTX580's From Cali to Taiwan without any problems either.

EDIT: Does the micro center systems really come with an H80? Damn, if only I could get my hands on a R IV E then I would get that CPU in a heartbeat, haha.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

I am Xtreme
    just bypass customs, SHHHH[WIN]G

@dumo why no love for bex? u local right? lol

Xtreme Legend
    Bex, Do you know anyone in UK who wants to buy cpu's at slightly lower prices? Make a few calls, send those emails.

Cheaper maybe well at least easier to bring more than one ...to sell at home and use profit to fund MB bought locally.

Another advantage is that you could bin them first and take best pick.

If only getting one for you, use the customs allowance on MB put the other in your purse with your credit cards ....you know chip and pin ....or tape it to your Mobile ...probably wouldn't even get noticed there....buy a belt with a big flat buckle.... you must be getting the idea by now.... decoration on that thong maybe?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    Or bring friends with you on holiday, give each of them a cpu to take through customs

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    CPUs go in your pocket silly. I've routinely walked through customs with several CPUs in a plastic sandwich bag with the chips wrapped in paper towel. Who cares if the CPU is a retail box, just chuck/donate the cooler. Motherboard gets wrapped in a few t-shirts to avoid getting jostled in luggage OR it goes into a bag with a laptop as a carry on. Breeze on through like you own the joint

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post

@dumo why no love for bex? u local right? lol
    Yep, got a few 3930K to bin. @ local MC only 2 left
    Last edited by Dumo; 11-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    CPUs go in your pocket silly. I've routinely walked through customs with several CPUs in a plastic sandwich bag with the chips wrapped in paper towel. Who cares if the CPU is a retail box, just chuck/donate the cooler. Motherboard gets wrapped in a few t-shirts to avoid getting jostled in luggage OR it goes into a bag with a laptop as a carry on. Breeze on through like you own the joint
    spoken like a true pimp

Banned
    You have to pay a "Technology Tax" for any items you bring from USA to UK

A radio or anything with a chip in it, not for a vase or a dress!

I have avoided it many times but it has to be marked as a GIFT and values no more than £60 (unsure if limit is actually as low as £60).

If not you will get a nice suprise when the delivery man knocks on door asking for cash before he hands over your items.

I know your bringing it home in suitcase but IMO that is even harder than getting a Yank buddy to send you the items!
    Last edited by humeyboy; 11-15-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast