Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel bringing TRIM support to Intel chipsets running RAID 0

Xtreme Addict

Intel bringing TRIM support to Intel chipsets running RAID 0

Exciting news for anyone currently using their new SSD in RAID0! Intel will finally be bringing TRIM support. Currently the only way for TRIM to function on an SSD is to operate in AHCI mode. This means that drives in high-performance arrays such as RAID0 lose the NAND cleaning benefits which could decrease speeds as time goes on or as the drives fill up. Intel has stated that current RST versions don't yet support TRIM, but it will be unveiling it with RST 11.5.
    http://www.storagereview.com/intel_b..._raid0_rst_115

I'm hopeful this actually does happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Member
    http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm

ICH7/9/10/PCH 11.5.0.1109 Alpha Windows 200x/Xp/Vista/7 32/64bits
    Sorry for my bad english.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    I was under impression there were hardware limitations - and TRIM was simply not possible with current controllers. Hopefully Intel will prove me wrong.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    Ah, it's really nice that a manufacturer has finally decided to tackle this.

There's so much room for error in this kind of technology. Even a little firmware mistake can result in massive data corruption (and we've seen it happen in the past).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Is this real this time?

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Addict
    Wait for 11.6(7,8,9) version which will fix the bugs that are bound to appear unless you don't care about data loss
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Interesting. I saw this on engadget this morning and came here to see if it was posted.

If it's true, I'll be moving to raid 0 eventually once drivers are fleshed out. What's the ETA on drivers?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Eh, it's just my os/programs drive, not by any means important or irreplaceable data. Though, I guess it would be prudent to set up a shadow volume backup just in case it all goes south. Win7 actually has a pretty decent integrated tool for this (allegedly).
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Devil kept pokin'
    Here's hoping.

Currently the only way for TRIM to function on an SSD is to operate in AHCI mode.

Let me know when IDE supports TRIM as well.

Xtreme Addict
    why would anyone not want to use AHCI? are you trying to trim in windows 95? (trim without AHCI is definitely impossible)
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great news indeed.

I am Xtreme
    saw this at techpowerup last week, this is great news if in fact it works perfectly. Then we will definitively need extra SATA6GB/s ports.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    saw this at techpowerup last week, this is great news if in fact it works perfectly. Then we will definitively need extra SATA6GB/s ports.
    Which we didn't get with X79...
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    If it's true, I'll be moving to raid 0 eventually once drivers are fleshed out.
    Meh, with 500mb/s+ transfer rates from single drives, is there a measurable benefit from using raid0 at this technological level? Last I checked, booting the raid drivers/card was taking more time than the couple of seconds saved during boot, for example.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    Meh, with 500mb/s+ transfer rates from single drives, is there a measurable benefit from using raid0 at this technological level? Last I checked, booting the raid drivers/card was taking more time than the couple of seconds saved during boot, for example.
    Perhaps with a newer, larger ssd you are correct. But for multiple, older 80G G2 Intel drives, this would be awesome!

I have several regular desktops with these drives I built/maintain, looking to upgrade these in the near future. If this works, this gives me some really great options for very fast raid 0, on sata II, with lightly used drives I'd have to sell or shelf otherwise.

I hope this works, time will tell.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Xtreme Member
    FOR x79? i hope so ...
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Perhaps with a newer, larger ssd you are correct. But for multiple, older 80G G2 Intel drives, this would be awesome!

I have several regular desktops with these drives I built/maintain, looking to upgrade these in the near future. If this works, this gives me some really great options for very fast raid 0, on sata II, with lightly used drives I'd have to sell or shelf otherwise.

I hope this works, time will tell.
    +1 I've been putting off re-doing my OS and trying to figure out just how I was going to let my 2 X-25v drives get some TRIM time in for the last few months. I hope this is true and will work well...it'll mean I'll actually be able to do some maintenance on these drives since I installed them over 2 years ago (thankfully intel has drives that work well in a non TRIM environment with plenty of idle time)
    Current System:
    eVGA 680i SLi "A2" P30 BIOS
    intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (currently at stock)
    OCZ ReaperX 4GB DDR2 1000 (running at DDR2 800 Speeds with cas4)
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    XFX 8800GT XXX 512MB (stock clocks)
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Copper
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its about time!
    "If It Doesn't Overclock Its Broken"
    "NexGen Overclocking"
    "Overclocking, its a life style"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My OCZ Agility 3 drives in RAID 0 on sata III (2 drives) do not even get close to the 500mb/s read that is advertised for one (They get 300mb/s read / 120mb/s write in RAID 0) and three of them in RAID 0 on Sata II only got to the mid 400's. So yeah i would say its not worth it. Unless something is wrong with my drives. (I know they are asynchronous but still, two of them not even getting close to advertised speed for one?)
    himynameisfrank
    Flickr

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair Hydro H80
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLi
    Corsair XMS3 1600 12Gb
    Corsair HX850w
    OCZ Agility 3 SSD x 3 RAID 0
    Creative X-Fi Titanium / Astro A40 Audio System
    Corsair Graphite 600T SE White
    DELL U2410 24" IPS Panel

Xtreme Addict
    During booting there is no benefit from raid 0 as indeed initializing the raid controller takes longer than loading Windows 7 from a SSD.
    However, once the system is up and running that changes and some applications will show a benefit. Also don't forget that unlike with traditional HDDs SSD prices scale pretty much linear with capacity, so why not for example pick up 2x 128GB drives instead of one 256GB one and enable raid if it costs roughly the same anyway?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    During booting there is no benefit from raid 0 as indeed initializing the raid controller takes longer than loading Windows 7 from a SSD.
    However, once the system is up and running that changes and some applications will show a benefit. Also don't forget that unlike with traditional HDDs SSD prices scale pretty much linear with capacity, so why not for example pick up 2x 128GB drives instead of one 256GB one and enable raid if it costs roughly the same anyway?
    Because you double the chances of losing all data while not doubling the performance?
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750

I am Xtreme
    mmm... definitely tempting to get a second C300 for a bit of R0 IOPs overkill!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mursaat View Post
    Because you double the chances of losing all data while not doubling the performance?
    I get about 40%-50% better performance (measurable, both in real time and synthetics) by raiding my three SSDs. Maybe that's not enough, but it's better than having them run on their own (it's a free performance upgrade).
    The risks are not great either since one can simply run his OS/applications on the raid 0 and have his data on a second HDD. If it fails (it happens about once a year) you simply rebuild the raid, no data is lost...

I'll get my free performance upgrade anytime, thank you very much. And now with Trim we may actually stand to get all the benefits of AHCI, I certainly welcome this development...

Xtreme Addict
    For some reason I had always presumed that TRIM on SSDs would be handled at the drive level, rather than the controller level.

I suppose it makes more sense to handle it at the controller level, though.

Xtreme Guru
    My OCZ Agility 3 drives in RAID 0 on sata III (2 drives) do not even get close to the 500mb/s read that is advertised for one (They get 300mb/s read / 120mb/s write in RAID 0) and three of them in RAID 0 on Sata II only got to the mid 400's. So yeah i would say its not worth it. Unless something is wrong with my drives. (I know they are asynchronous but still, two of them not even getting close to advertised speed for one?)
    something is wrong here. you arent configured correctly.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast