Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Book Looks At X-Rays Of Objects Stuck In Patients' Orifices (PHOTOS)

Xtreme Addict

Talking New Book Looks At X-Rays Of Objects Stuck In Patients' Orifices (PHOTOS)

Source --> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...e=Stuck_Up_The

New Book Looks At X-Rays Of Objects Stuck In Patients' Orifices (PHOTOS)

"There are lots of ways to mark the passage of time, but none as unusual as seeing what common household objects find their way up a person's innards.

That's the discovery that forensic psychiatrist Marty A. Sindhian, M.D., made while researching "Stuck Up!" -- a look at the strange objects that have found their way into the human body through the various orifices. The intentionally funny book includes more than 100 bizarre X-rays, and when you finish, you may never look at Barbie dolls or baby shoes the same way again.

Sindhian, who co-authored the book with fellow shrink Rich E. Dreben and emergency room physician Murdoc Knight, made this discovery while researching a case about a person who came into the emergency room a few years ago and a cassette tape showed up on the X-ray."

Doctors see a lot of strange things on the job, but perhaps no topic is weirder than the objects that find their way inside peoples' bodies, such as this pair of scissors. That's the topic of "Stuck Up!" a new book by Rich E. Dreben, Murdoc Knight and Marty A. Sindhian, a trio of medical insiders.

The book features 100 anecdotes of objects that made their way into the body. Usually the insertion happens either orally or rectally (as in the case of these glasses) but Sindhian says some insertions happen through the nose or the urethra.

Kids are more likely than adults to swallow coins, according to Sindhian, a forensic psychiatrist. Usually, they pass through without incident, but he knows of one case where a patient swallowed 50 coins and was at risk of toxic poisoning from the metals.

People have been swallowing or inserting unusual objects since the dawn of time, but the choice of objects has changed over the centuries. For instance, Sindhian doesn't think that any emergency rooms will be reporting cases of people inserting cassettes into their orifices any time soon....

...However, objects such as the iPod may become more common. Although Sindhian doesn't know what possesses a person to insert something like that into their body.

Many of the objects that get stuck inside the body were put there by people looking for sexual pleasure. That was the case with this electrical cord.

Some of the excuses are stranger than the objects. Dreben says some patients tell their doctor they were doing some type of household chore in the nude when they "fell" or "tripped" or "jumped into bed" and "landed on the object." Others explain that their predicaments resulted from sexual activity.

Sindhian says that alcohol is also a common excuse, but younger people will say that it happened because of a dare, or because they were attempting to seek sexual pleasure, as was the case with this Barbie doll.

Although most swallowing emergencies happen to kids, Sindhian says adults will often swallow engagement rings, mainly as a way to hide them. Luckily, they usually pass through without incident -- unless the other person finds out what happened.

Sindhian, Dreben and Knight hope their book keeps people from trying to shove their Buzz Lightyear action figure to infinity and beyond and also takes away the stigma of people seeking emergency treatment when something does get stuck inside their body.

Here's another one I found on google. LOL!!!

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Stuck Up! The Strangest Objects Ever Inserted Into The Human Body

""Cassette tapes are probably not common at all these days," Sindhian laughed to HuffPost Weird News. "I don't expect to see any more of those in X-rays. But someone did get an iPod stuck inside them, so I think that shows that the choice of objects that are inserted reflects the larger culture."

Sindhian, who like Knight and Dreben, is using a pseudonym in the book, says the book was written for both humor and educational purposes.

"We hope it takes away the stigma of people seeking emergency treatment," he said. "Plus, this is the stuff that really interests laypeople."

That said, he and Dreben admit that emergency room insertions are a common discussion topic among medical professionals.

"Physicians do run into unusual cases, and among themselves or in academic settings, they might discuss these cases with colleagues for two main reasons: to get proper consultation and for teaching purposes," Dreben said.

The authors found more than 100 examples of strange objects that somehow found their way inside the body -- and the reasons are as different as the entry ways of choice.

"Younger people are more likely to swallow objects, or stick them in their nose or ears," Sindhian said. "They will put everything in their mouth."

Sindhian said coins are the most common item swallowed by kids, while the most typical item swallowed by adults is a wedding ring.

"A lot of time they're swallowed because people want to hide them," Sindhian said. "Luckily, they pass through fairly easily."

Sindhian also said it's not uncommon for prisoners to attempt to swallow bizarre objects.

"They will do this so they can go to the hospital," he said. "People in mental institutions have also been known to do this as well. The strangest case I ever heard of was a mental patient who rolled up the lid of a can of tuna fish like a cigar and swallowed that."

But when you're an adult, strange objects are more likely to find their way into the body via the rectum.

Usually, the reason for this is because someone was toying around with the object. Dreben said this explains two of the more extreme cases in the book: the Barbie doll and the Buzz Lightyear action figure that made it the long, dark trip upstream.

"In these cases with toys, the patients were often seeking sexual pleasure or gratification," Dreben said. "Some patients have been known not only to stimulate themselves manually with toys, but they have also repeatedly swallowed parts of toys because, per their report, passing the toy parts through their gastrointestinal tract and ultimately the anus 'felt good.'"

Sindhian said men are more likely than women to get objects stuck inside them, either orally or rectally.

"Men, in general, tend to be more daring and engage in risky behavior," he said.

Even stranger than the objects that people manage to ingest one way or another are the excuses, according to Dreben.

"Sometimes patients tell us that they were doing some type of household chore in the nude when they 'fell' or 'tripped' or 'jumped into bed' and 'landed on the object,'" Dreben said. "Other times, patients are forthcoming in explaining that their predicaments resulted from sexual activity."

Sindhian said that alcohol is also a common excuse, but the younger generation is becoming more forthright.

"Younger people will say that it happened because of a dare," Sindhian said. "But more people are willing to admit that the situation occurred because they were seeking sexual pleasure."

Still, Dreben insists that, regardless of the explanation, a doctor's job is to respect patients and treat the physical issues as well as the emotional ones.

"Therefore, we do not make fun of patients or probe them for more information; and it is not always important for us to know the entirety of the story," he said. "However, we do have to be certain that the patient is safe and that these incidents were not the result of abuse. Physicians are trained to be as non-judgmental as possible; we do not want patients to avoid seeking help because they believe they will be judged by their doctors.""
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    Points go to anyone who can think of the best jokes. I've already seen people make fun of the light bulb. Either that guy has a light bulb up his a$$ or his colon has a great idea! And the iPod playlist including, "stuck in the middle with you".
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    The lightbulb is a feat of delicacy for sure.... if not a feat of muscle relaxants.....
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

-150c Club Member
    Heh as a medical student I have witnessed some strange things.
    One of the cadavers in the lab had a Heineken bottle in the rectum.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Hey Adam How are ya? Had no idea you went down the medical path.... how's it going for you so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

LMFAO! This is epic If I was a doctor I would SO laugh at a patient who come in "suffering" from something inserted up their arse All I can say about the Buzz Lightyear up someones arse is "To infinity, and beyond!"

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict

You can just imagine whay poor buzz thought as he found his way up that persons rectum.... "oh sh|t"

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

-150c Club Member
    Pretty good, only a few years left That's why the lack of units in the last 2-3 years!

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

X. I. P.
    I used to date an ER nurse. She worked nights.

One night, I got a wake up call at 2 AM.

"Do you have a Dremel tool?" (small, high speed rotary tool somewhat like an electric drill).

"I do."

"Can you bring it to the ER?"

"Umh, OK. Why?"

"Can't say over the phone. Can you bring it?"

"I'll be there shortly."

Seems some guy came "clanking" into the ER with his willy through the round hole in the end of a 12 inch adjustable wrench. Blood flow was blocked and his, err, "wood" would not go away. With the appendage turning purple and beginning down the path to tissue death, the ER doc needed a way to cut off the wrench as it was too big for any standard medical cutters.

The excitement seeker needed a few stitches to close the grinding "whoops" that the doc could not avoid.

I told the doc he could keep it, didn't want it after watching the procedure (over closed-circuit TV).
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

OMFG ultimate LOL! I really shouldn't of read that I'm in the middle of giving myself a facial (not really my choice... girls I know insisted I try it because it "feels nice after" )

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 11-19-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    light at the end of the tunnel

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Addict
    Lol!

Don't go into the light!!!

lulwut?

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Legend
    For all the good that iPod is at downloading ordinary MP3's I might as well stick it up...........

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Addict
    In my opinion, thats exactly where the ipod belongs. Its just a hyped up over priced product that I don't really want or need. I'd rather just have a simple mp3 player with a small digital screen and a memory slot instead of built in memory, with collections of songs based on mood on multiple micro sd cards that I can keep in my wallet.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 11-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    In my opinion, thats exactly where the ipod belongs. Its just a hyped up over priced product that I don't really want or need. I'd rather just have a simple mp3 player with a small digital screen and a memory slot instead of built in memory, with collections of songs based on mood on multiple micro sd cards that I can keep in my wallet.
    I agree 100%, Apple has a GREAT marketing department for their overpriced crap. Look up the line of Cowon digital audio/video players. They don't have wifi or web browsing but the audio quality is superb(they support lossless FLAC and OGG audio formats) and DivX video files. This means no more formatting and converting media files into crappy .mp3 quality and using itunes to transfer it(transferring is done by drag and drop instead). They also have OLED screens which have better battery life and picture quality. There's also a FM/AM radio tuner if you want to listen to a station. More info here http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/12/c...udio-s9-review

Xtreme Addict
    Speaking of overpriced things I have no use for....

That Cowon belongs up that guys a$$ along with that iPod.

Big wasteful expensive OLED screen I have no use for that only makes the player too big (small text displays work just fine), waaaay over priced, and you might as well put a red sign on it that says, "STEAL THIS!!". If I wanted a portable movie player, I'd buy a portable movie player. I'm guessing you can probably play movies with it. The problem with combining gadgets like that, is they loose their practicality. A music player that fits in the palm of your hand is great. Its easy to conceal, if you break it all you did is break an inexpensive music player... instead of all your gadgets at once, you'll never run into the choice between either using one function or another on the same gadget, and instead of one battery struggling to power everything you use, you have individual devices that hold longer charges because you only use them for the single purpose they're made for.

That's the problem with today's smart phones, they all die constantly because battery technology hasn't caught up with the energy demanding applications they're being used for. Even those hybrid cars that use batteries need their batteries replaced after a short time, and with the money it costs you might as well buy a new car which makes even less sense compared to the huge footprint their manufacturing process makes. Same thing with battery powered cars. A Toyota Prius has done more damage to the environment than an old land rover before its even been sold, so you have to keep it for a loooooooong time to work off that foot print which you can never do cause you'll keep having to replace the batteries, which are responsible for the most of damage to the environment in the first place. (nickel mining in Canada, transportation to Europe for nickel processing plant, shipping to china where its made into foam, shipped to japan where its put in the batteries, then shipped back to the US, Europe, etc to be sold in the car or installed in the car.)

Toyota Priuses belong up that guy's butt along with those two music players. LOL
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 11-20-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Toyota Priuses belong up that guy's butt along with those two music players. LOL
    Um... I don't want to see the aftermath of someone trying that
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    neither do I.... haha. But I'm sure a lot of people on 4chan and those rule34 sites probably would. Put it right between the chicks with huge muscles and tiny heads and the furry herms.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 11-21-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    Hmm..!? O.o
    - maybe I should get myself a Buzz Lightyear doll...
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Speaking of overpriced things I have no use for....

That Cowon belongs up that guys a$$ along with that iPod.

Big wasteful expensive OLED screen I have no use for that only makes the player too big (small text displays work just fine), waaaay over priced, and you might as well put a red sign on it that says, "STEAL THIS!!". If I wanted a portable movie player, I'd buy a portable movie player. I'm guessing you can probably play movies with it. The problem with combining gadgets like that, is they loose their practicality. A music player that fits in the palm of your hand is great. Its easy to conceal, if you break it all you did is break an inexpensive music player... instead of all your gadgets at once, you'll never run into the choice between either using one function or another on the same gadget, and instead of one battery struggling to power everything you use, you have individual devices that hold longer charges because you only use them for the single purpose they're made for.
    idk i spent time reading up on it. its 199$ for 32gb model. holds audio and video photos and txt files. has 55(s9)-101(x7) hour audio playback, depending on model, and 11 hour video playback. it also has great sound quality apparently and the fact it has an amoled makes it more vivid for the movies.

its made to be a portable media player. cowon does make little small audio only things too, but the larger ones are for video playback aswell.
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Quote Originally Posted by vohu manah View Post
    Hmm..!? O.o
    - maybe I should get myself a Buzz Lightyear doll...
    Based on that comment... I'm not sure I want to know what your "toy drawer" has in it

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Based on that comment... I'm not sure I want to know what your "toy drawer" has in it
    Oh nothing dangerous, don't worry ...I've only got some cd's with images of myself, a towel, talcum powder, petroleum jelly, rubber gloves, power chords, two wigs, duck tape and some issues of Science Illustrated...
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast