Thread: Warp Drive 2

Xtreme Guru

Warp Drive 2

Really an exciting looking piece of kit, check it out!

Right on the heels of 12Gb/s being introduced, LSI is trumping themselves with a new version of the WarpDrive, an innovative approach to PCI-E based solid state solutions. The space for this type of device is heating up, after not only LSIs success, but with the emergence of Fusion-IO devices as a key competitor.

There is a very large market right now in flash acceleration that is growing exponentially, and LSI is seeking to capture this market with a new generation of the WarpDrive.

Read more: http://thessdreview.com/uncategorize...#ixzz1e1t2RRFi
    Warpdrive-2-full-speed-ahead/
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Addict
    Drool....

A pity there are no official numbers...

Xtreme Addict
    is this not another raid on a card ssd?

Lord Micron
    Keep in mind that the Warp Drives, Fusion-io and Micron C320e PCIe cards are enterprise drives, and as such are priced appropriately.

The original Warp Drive utilized an array of Seagate Pulsar SSDs, so I'm curious as to whose MLCe drives they'll use in the new gen?

Xtreme Guru
    SandForce controllers are being used on this version, and to my knowledge were used on the last version as well.

A note on the Fusion-io devices, turns out these ultra low latency monsters have a bit of a Achilles heel. There was a few guys with different storage consultancy companies (one big with Wall Street) at the summit, and they are having issues with them later in life eating CPU/RAM cycles. I guess that since all the overhead is done on the host machine, when they get a bit older and have to do wear leveling and GC and other tasks, that when they are under load they can eat two and three cores of processing, and ram as well! so there is a bit of a backlash against these in certain sectors, especially server applications. With big time Vm usage and whatnot the computation overhead isnt worth it.
    They are really needed in wall street apps though as the ultra low latency is need for 'high frequency' trading (computer algorithm controlled auto-traders)

but interesting nonetheless. these look to be an exciting generation of devices. but the Warp Drive 2 is really centered on being constant performance, more than earth shattering numbers. It will be UBER of course, but the main goal is consistent performance, regardless of load or conditions.
    Last edited by Computurd; 11-20-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!