Thread: ASUS X79 Sabertooth - DDR SPD Screen Showing "ABNORMAL" - Not a Memory Issue

Xtreme Member

Exclamation ASUS X79 Sabertooth - DDR SPD Screen Showing "ABNORMAL" - Not a Memory Issue

Hey all,

I'm stumped on this one. Built this system today and all was well during the first hour of testing. Then, out of nowhere, the BIOS and OS only started to detect 24GB out of 32GB of installed memory.

3930k, X79 Sabertooth, 8x4GB DDR3 1600, and so forth.

I went back into the BIOS, and under the Tool tab at the top right, the ASUS DRAM SPD Information shows the following:

I've checked the memory, itself - I've swapped in several different kits, and the 'ABNORMAL' message still stays on C1 and C2.

I've tried the usual - full clear, resetting, reseating, BIOS update, and so on. Nothing's worked, and no DDR in those slots will show up anymore.

So, any suggestions, or is the board just dead? Or, even worse, is the CPU dead? I was hoping it wasn't an IMC problem.
    Intel IPP, AMD SP, MCP

Heatware: 51-0-0

I am Xtreme
    Reseated CPU ? Up VCSSA voltage maybe to 1.15 or such...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    Hey all,

I'm stumped on this one. Built this system today and all was well during the first hour of testing. Then, out of nowhere, the BIOS and OS only started to detect 24GB out of 32GB of installed memory.

3930k, X79 Sabertooth, 8x4GB DDR3 1600, and so forth.

So, any suggestions, or is the board just dead? Or, even worse, is the CPU dead? I was hoping it wasn't an IMC problem.
    I need to know your EFI release number - 0709? 0802? - and the memory kit manufacturer and part number please.
    Why do people claim to know something they do not and then write about it.

Xtreme Member
    I appreciate the support in this and the other thread. Went through a lot of troubleshooting (hours, in fact) with the other ASUS tech, but there was never an issue with the memory. As I said, we have a dozen kits that we tested with.

We replaced the board today with another Sabertooth X79. The issue is gone. Bottom line, the board was malfunctioning.
    Intel IPP, AMD SP, MCP

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    I appreciate the support in this and the other thread. Went through a lot of troubleshooting (hours, in fact) with the other ASUS tech, but there was never an issue with the memory. As I said, we have a dozen kits that we tested with.

We replaced the board today with another Sabertooth X79. The issue is gone. Bottom line, the board was malfunctioning.
    Good Day,
    Can you please PM me your serial number on the board and any RMA information.

Sincerely,
    Gary
    Why do people claim to know something they do not and then write about it.

Xtreme Member
    Sure thing, PM Sent.
    Intel IPP, AMD SP, MCP