Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Development : Mayhems Radiators

Xtreme Member
    +1 for M4 screw use on a radiator hole that's been tapped.

Still, I don't see why you guys don't plan on making a 120.4 version of this rad... ? How come there is no performance benefit with a 120.4? Maybe on that given heat-load you created with one chip (CPU?) in the loop but with more of it, I'm sure the loop could/would use the extra 120 dissipating surface, right? If the manufacturing cost is the problem, then I understand. Raw materials are getting really expensive in past few years.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Too bad there wont be any 140mm rad. 140mm is the only option for me, no point in using a smaller 120mm rad when there is plenty of width everywhere to make use of 140mm rads (5 1/4 fits 140mm rads perfectly for instance)

Agreed. I sold off pretty much all my 120mm radiators. Using a good 120mm fans w/ an adapter/shroud to a 140mm radiator is the way to go for me personally.

Also M4 FTW. I tap every radiator I buy to fit M4 screws.
    Last edited by lowfat; 11-19-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Good luck. Another manufacturer is good particularly one who clearly looks to learn from his customers.

A few thoughts:

There are tons of 120/240/360 rads out there but only a few take fans bigger than 140mm. A lot of the cases I am looking at have 140mm as the smallest size. Phobya have a nice 200mmx200mm radiator out there but a 180x180 would be really interesting. (roughly equal to 2.5 x120m radiator)

Flexibility in fitting is vital. Each radiator should have 4xG1/4 fittings. I rather liked the Swiftech stackables with G1/4 fittinhs on front and back - if you mounted the radiator up to it gave a really nice easy filling option. Similar ideas with integrated reservoir.

My point is that we are pretty close to optimum radiator design already. Sure you can have different FPI to cater for different fans. There is little point in coming out with a radiator which is a duplicate of what we already have unless you are competing on price (always welcome) - give us something new

Xtreme Addict
    Pics!?!?
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    Looks will be similar to a few others but were looking at price Vs quality vs Performance. (bang for buck).

As a new comer we cannot to many big risks but things such as all in rads are just a no goer for us as is large external rads are not worth the cost of making them for a £10 mark up. The lower end of the market is filled with cheap Chinese stuff atm and its not our aim to compete at this level.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

Xtreme 3D Team
    I'm wondering why the f*ck there are no Air/Water Delta T numbers, and only CPU load.
    That is the proper way to do this, if working at such a low level. It's not even hard to measure delta T. Simple k-type probe in res works.
    Smile

Technician
    Angry man is angry?

This is a developmental preview, more of a feasibility study really if Im reading what Mick is saying correctly. By the sound of it the performance should be equal to or better than competing rads - thats all thats needed in terms of testing at this stage.

There will be a lot of tuning to the design to do, so releasing detailed performance figures and spending hours testing is just not viable or even relevant. Expect more thorough testing with the production/final beta revisions.

Glad youre spreading your wings Mick, also well done for building a solid base on the dyes and fluids first. No thermalfins fiasco here . Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

Well he also has a power house working with him now with plenty of knowledge in the pc radiator field, not to mention with experience in one of the probably best made radiator of all time even as of date, some people still swear and live with that radiator till today..

That alone is worth it's weight in salt..

Good and bad is expectations will be high, good is well... I'm hoping it's going to be epic to say the least..
    I steal all your cookies !!

Build Log AKA "Hamster" The Constant run towards evolution..

RP452X2 "How to bleed" Guide...

i5 2500K | 8GB 2133 Dominator GT | Gigabyte P67A UD7
    GTX580 x3 | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | WD Blacks x2 2TB RAID1
    Corsair AX750 + 1200 | Caselab M10 + Pedestal
    Koolance 370 | AquagraFX 580 x3 | D5 x4 | Dual Loop
    Aquaero XT | PA2 x6

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    were not making 140mm version as i don't see the point.

1) there are no really decent 140mm cases for the mass market or fans for that matter that ive come across.
    2) 120mm is established
    3) there is very little performance gain
    now a days it seems more and more cases can support 140mm fans. also, while a 140mm rad might not offer much cooling over a 120mm rad but it still does offer some extra cooling. as you know most water cooling blocks/rads are within a few degrees of each other now a days so you might as well eek that little extra performance out of it

the only way water cooling can really be pushed forward is if we had rads and waterblocks made out of synthetic diamond, and i dont see that happening for a while (if ever)

I'm sure if the rads sell well enough he'll consider expanding his lineup to other sizes such as 140mm. But if you ever do make 140 rads, I hope you don't make them as wide as Black Ice's. Their rads are spec'd 153mm wide, and that's too wide to squeeze into some cases' 5 1/4 bays.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    Yeh 2012 will be release date.

In our testing there is no pint doing a 480 version as not only are they a waste of space but there is no performance benefit to them. Plus the cost of metal is so high that the cost of production would be high as well. so again pointless.
    Is there a list of sizes you will be doing?

Carnage

[Silverstone TJ11] [Silverstone 1200w]
    [EVGA Z77 FTW] [I5 2500k] [8gb Samsung 30nm]
    [Sapphire HD 7970]
    [Sound Blaster Titanium HD] [Sennheiser PC360]
    [Patriot Wildfire 120gb] [Seagate 1.5tb 7200pm]
    [Steelseries Sensei w/ I-2 Mousepad] [24" 1920x1200 Samsung]

Xtreme Addict
    I will starting out with 2 variations of 2 sizes and that a 240mm and 360mm.

We can see how they progress and we can move on from there. Were not following other manufacturers either. Our release will bring some controversy with especially from some people and companies but I dont care . How ever notes are being taken from what people would like and how we progress from version 1 to version 2. We will all so only be doing limited runs of the rads to start with the gauge people reactions and to see if it will be worth while keeping up with.

All im doing is planting the seed and gauging reactions and ideas from you lot. Obversely we cannot go into specifics at this early stage and the people saying no pic and all that bull will eat there words at a later date. I all ready heard it all before when we first started the dyes and the pre-mixes.

Thank you for all you input guys and girls and we will look into some of your ideas that is for sure. All so thank you for the people whom support us. Hopefully we can reward you with a award winning product.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the info. Hard trying to find radiators large enough for my case

Will definitely be buying some dyes from you guys though once I figure out the rest of my WC parts.

Carnage

[Silverstone TJ11] [Silverstone 1200w]
    [EVGA Z77 FTW] [I5 2500k] [8gb Samsung 30nm]
    [Sapphire HD 7970]
    [Sound Blaster Titanium HD] [Sennheiser PC360]
    [Patriot Wildfire 120gb] [Seagate 1.5tb 7200pm]
    [Steelseries Sensei w/ I-2 Mousepad] [24" 1920x1200 Samsung]

Xtreme Member
    i can't see point of this thread
    new rads? thats excellent - new competitor on the market will only add customers more choice.
    but... any pics? - 'sorry guys V2 will be different from V1 so no pics ATM'
    well... performance numbers? Oh! our 360 for x*C better than "good old 360" with same load BUT don take it to bank - we're making V2 and numbers for V1 wont applicable for V2...
    i must be missing something...

Technician
    Seriously stop moaning about being told something earlier than normal. This stage of development doesnt normally see the light of day. Are you honestly saying youd rather not know?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I personally will speculate for the better and hope we see another PA160 or alternative to the standard dimension radiator. Double thickness core is IMHO a bit of a waste of materials for the minor benefits gains, but extra wide and/or long is always good. Finned round tube is also a waste of time. I would suggest sticking to 120mmx15mm fan spacing but going extra wide in the 140-160mm range or what fits many cases..

Not sure it would pencil out in tooling changes, but I do think that's where some larger gains are to be had.
    My 2c

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Glad I came lurking tonight. I'll be looking for your rads for my new loop this summer mayhem!

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Addict
    Right been looking into some of your requests.

Cannot say about the fin count as that's some thing were keeping close to our chest.

We will be doing M4 screws with 24 Long M4's and 24 Short M4's for the Triple and 16 Long M4's and 16 Short M4's for the double rad. This will save you messing around looking for the correct screw sizes and will allso give you enough to do push / pull, push / push, pull / push, pull or push.

We are all so looking to have 4 Ports. (2 in, 2 out)

Bleed valve.

Stamped logo on the side (small and discrete)

Full built in shroud.

We need to look at costing but i dont think it is out of our range.

Xtreme Guru
    mlwood37: if under all those combos you meant conventional push/pull with fans on both sides of rad and rest mentioned were with two fans from just one side, then imho you can drop later, as two fans side-by-side without something inbetween to straighten airflow are rather inefficient (unless one from these fans turns in other direction, but such are very rarely made/sold).
    So probably longer screws may get some use only for setups of fan+shroud(of same thickness as fan's) and maybe even shouldn't be included in package to save overall set price and weight. Also the bigger the screw thread is, the easier it is to find long one with that thread. Seeing you moved from M3 to M4 imho it won't be that hard for user to find & buy M4 screws separately.
    EDIT
    Hmm, instead of such double length screws you may consider adding just partially longer ones, for mounting 38mm thick very powerful (and noisy ) fans, but that again should be done probably only if your rad will have high FPI, as not much sense to mount noisy fans on rad designed with low FPI and intended for use with quiet fans (in 99% cases - 25mm ones).
    Last edited by Church; 11-23-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Never go full retard
    Getting a set of 25mm fan screws and 38mm/mount screws is pretty much expected. Bleed valve...nah, scrap it. Stamped logo, expected, gotta have some branding visibility.

Glad to see you're still moving forward Mick. I'm still about 3-4 months out before I could even loop one up and log data for you.

Xtreme Addict
    skinnee thks .

The bleed screw is needed on this rad with good reason depending on how you mount it. (all though its actually a little a harder to place correctly)
    Last edited by mlwood37; 11-23-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Never go full retard
    Well, I'll hold any further opinion on the bleed valve until I have it in front of me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12