Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1825262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

Raja,

Is there any possibility that ASUS will give us a Rampage IV Extreme RAID option rom bios that is 11.6.xxxx vs the 3.5.xxxx? It is needed to enable TRIM on RAID-0 implementations...

See the thread about this here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2281849

and response to a question I posed about it...

@ managerman1985:
    Users with an X79 chipset RAID0 have to wait until the manufacturer of their mainboard offers a BIOS with included Intel RAID ROM v11.x.x.xxxx. The "normal" Intel RAID ROM modules v3.x.x.xxxx for X79 chipsets do not support TRIM in RAID0 and a switch to the v11.x.x.xxxx can not be done by modding the ROM file.

Please let me know....Thanks!!

-M
    Last edited by managerman; 11-26-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Sandy Bridge Rig:

Core i7-2600K / Asus Maximus IV Extreme
    (3) EVGA GTX 580 SC cards / 16GB Patriot Division 2 1866 DDR3
    (2) Vertex 3 MAx IOPS in RAID-0 / Asus Xonar Exsense STX
    1TB Western Digital Sata 3 Black Drive / 2 LG 10x Blu-Ray Burners
    Thermaltake 1200W Toughpower PSU

Cooling:
    CPU - Swiftech Apogee XT Waterblock
    Video - 3 Danger Den all copper GTX 580 blocks
    2 Swiftech 480 rads...

Sandybridge-E Rig

Core i7 3970X running at 5.0Ghz 1.48v. 32GB Crucial Tactical DDR @ 2135
    OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240GB / 2 OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD in RAID 0
    3 EVGA GTX 480 SSC TRI-SLI 830/1950
    1200W Cooler Master 1200W Silentpro Power Supply
    Windows 8
    Cooling:CPU: 1 D5 pump, FESER 3x120 RAD

New Build so far:
    Core i7-4770k @ 5.0 GHz / Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 C10 @ 2600 / TRI-SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    Maximus VI Extreme / (4) Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb in RAID-0/

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by managerman View Post
    Raja,

Is there any possibility that ASUS will give us a Rampage IV Extreme RAID option rom bios that is 11.6.xxxx vs the 3.5.xxxx? It is needed to enable TRIM on RAID-0 implementations...

See the thread about this here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2281849

and response to a question I posed about it...

@ managerman1985:
    Users with an X79 chipset RAID0 have to wait until the manufacturer of their mainboard offers a BIOS with included Intel RAID ROM v11.x.x.xxxx. The "normal" Intel RAID ROM modules v3.x.x.xxxx for X79 chipsets do not support TRIM in RAID0 and a switch to the v11.x.x.xxxx can not be done by modding the ROM file.

Please let me know....Thanks!!

-M

No 11.6 until Intel patches Smart Response - it has issues with this driver that Intel needs to fix before we can roll out anything on our end. No ETA yet.
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Rampage IV Extreme tweaking guide

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Maximus VI Series UEFI OC Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    In North America yes (if in stock).

-Raja
    It took a while but my replacement board arrived today and it's working great.
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme / i7 3930k / G.Skill 4x2GB 2133 / Asus HD7970 / Corsair AX1200
    ASUS Maximus V Extreme / i7 3770k / G.Skill 4x4GB 2133 / EVGA GTX Titan SC SLI / Enermax Platimax 1350

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalRacer View Post
    It took a while but my replacement board arrived today and it's working great.
    Cool
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    Hi guys !

I've got my hand on a 3930K C2 with a P9X79 WS motherboard (BIOS 3306). It's a very nice bundle and I love it, even if my old 980X and GA-X58A-UD7 was good (@4.5GHz), this new bundle made my overclocking life really easier.

I've started to overclock that chip with 46x 101Mhz and 1.395v. I really need this voltage to be OCCT stable. It's a shame but my temps are cool anyway (62C max on the hotter core), thanks to my overkill watercooling setup (1x 360, 1x 240, 1x 120... and the CPU is alone in the loop !).

But... I now want to go higher ! I just can't get to 4.7Ghz stable, even with 1.45v. After 1 minute running OCCT, my computer just shuts down.

Here are my settings :
    CPU Ratio : 46x
    BCLK Frequency : 101
    CPU VCore Voltage : 1.395
    CPU VCCSA Voltage : 1.1
    CPU LLC : High
    CPU Capability : 120% (tried 140%, my comp shuts down the same way)
    CPU Voltage Frequency : Auto
    VCCSA LLC : Regular
    VCCSA Capability : 120%
    CPU Power Phase Control : Optimized
    CPU Power Duty Control : T.Probe

All thermal settings are disabled, even SpeedStep. I've just left on the HyperThreading.

Could you help me ?
    Last edited by TuKo; 12-26-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    Comp 1 : NCASE M1, Asus Z170I PRO Gaming, Intel i7-6700K, G.Skill 2x4Gb 3466MHz, Samsung 950 Pro (512), Samsung 840 Pro (256), WD Red (5TB), Asus nVidia GTX 980 4Gb, Silverstone SX600-G, LG 34UM95
    Comp 2 : Commodore Amiga 4000D, Cyberstorm MK2 68060 50Mhz 128Mb, Cybervision 64 4Mb, FastATA MK-VI, Indivision AGA MK2cr
    Comp 3 : Commodore Amiga 600, Vampire 600 V2 128Mb, Indivision ECS, 32Gb CF

Xtreme Member
    Earlier this week I took my system down to do many updates*, including a BIOS update. I went from 2104 to 3305, but now have problems shutting down the PC. When I click "shutdown" from the OS the system does it's thing and powers down the system completely, but after 2 or 3 seconds the system powers back on. Any thoughts on this?

*= the full list of updates were BIOS updates, SSD firmware updates, install Windows 8 and all updated drivers from the Asus site. I couldn't get the USB 3.0 firmware update to apply either...

Greetings Raja,

I have a 18-month old Asus P9 X79 PRO Mainboard which is running on the latest CAP BIOS 3305.

My question is regarding the RAM which is 4x4GB Samsung [30nm Green] MV-3V4G3D/US.

I have used this memory very successfully [i.e. with zero problems] since Day-One at 2333MHz with 1.50V but have encountered problems trying to populate more than 4 DIMM slots, 6x4GB to be exact, and have tried ALL possible slot-population configurations. I have also tried scaling down the DIMM frequency to 2000MHz @ 1.45V and even at default configurations. Anytime more than 4 DIMM slots are populated, the PC, which is running Win 7 64-bit Ultimate, becomes unstable and even the BIOS DIMM report says so. I have tried populating only 6 slots because I do not want to risk buying another 2 more DIMMS to try out the 8-slot configuration although I have a suspicion that it will be OK.

I understand that there might be an inherent instability problem with the X79 using more than 4 DIMMs but would be obliged if you could offer your clarification/advice regarding this matter. I have tried the usual "Asus Support" route but suffice to say, unless the question is regarding how I should clean myself after using the toilet [and even then, the efficacy is questionable], I could only make out unprintable comments regarding the type of beings "manning" those "Support lines", the latter being like governments who, instead of being there to help you, are only there to support their own glorification. Thank you for your assistance.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by cir108 View Post
    Greetings Raja,

I have a 18-month old Asus P9 X79 PRO Mainboard which is running on the latest CAP BIOS 3305.

My question is regarding the RAM which is 4x4GB Samsung [30nm Green] MV-3V4G3D/US.

I have used this memory very successfully [i.e. with zero problems] since Day-One at 2333MHz with 1.50V but have encountered problems trying to populate more than 4 DIMM slots, 6x4GB to be exact, and have tried ALL possible slot-population configurations. I have also tried scaling down the DIMM frequency to 2000MHz @ 1.45V and even at default configurations. Anytime more than 4 DIMM slots are populated, the PC, which is running Win 7 64-bit Ultimate, becomes unstable and even the BIOS DIMM report says so. I have tried populating only 6 slots because I do not want to risk buying another 2 more DIMMS to try out the 8-slot configuration although I have a suspicion that it will be OK.

I understand that there might be an inherent instability problem with the X79 using more than 4 DIMMs but would be obliged if you could offer your clarification/advice regarding this matter. I have tried the usual "Asus Support" route but suffice to say, unless the question is regarding how I should clean myself after using the toilet [and even then, the efficacy is questionable], I could only make out unprintable comments regarding the type of beings "manning" those "Support lines", the latter being like governments who, instead of being there to help you, are only there to support their own glorification. Thank you for your assistance.

You will need to relax the second and third timings I think. Any time you purchase multiple memory kits to make up a certain density, you're liable to run in to stability problems as the default timing set of the DIMMs and boards does not really take multiple kits into account (default timings on the SPD and board may be too tight). It's often far easier to buy a single kit at the rated speed and density you wish to run.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 02-12-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t_ski View Post
    Earlier this week I took my system down to do many updates*, including a BIOS update. I went from 2104 to 3305, but now have problems shutting down the PC. When I click "shutdown" from the OS the system does it's thing and powers down the system completely, but after 2 or 3 seconds the system powers back on. Any thoughts on this?

*= the full list of updates were BIOS updates, SSD firmware updates, install Windows 8 and all updated drivers from the Asus site. I couldn't get the USB 3.0 firmware update to apply either...
    Anybody? Raja?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Sounds like some kind of driver problem at first approximation. Debugging will require starting with a fresh install, and then installing items one at a time checking for the problem at each step.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme X.I.P.
    A quick Google search revealed the following:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-r...tdown-feature/

Try that first.

-Raja

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the tip. I am familiar with troubleshooting shutdown issues, but I've never seen something like this where the PC actualy shuts off the power supply then powers it back on. All other times I've seen this it will just reboot. I would think that this would ot be drivers due to the fact that it's a basic installation with only the Asus drivers from the website and Catalyst 13.2.

I'll give this a shot when I get home tonight.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I think I did see a post in the Google searches where someone said they had issues like yours after installing Catalyst - possibly VBIOS EFI update needed. So maybe something between Win 8 defaulting to hibernate for FAST BOOT. You might want to see if a Google search throws up any more info.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

You will need to relax the second and third timings I think. Any time you purchase multiple memory kits to make up a certain density, you're liable to run in to stability problems as the default timing set of the DIMMs and boards does not really take multiple kits into account (default timings on the SPD and board may be too tight). It's often far easier to buy a single kit at the rated speed and density you wish to run.
    Much obliged for the advice. I did not try relaxing/varying the [secondary + tertiary] timings [because I have no idea what values to kick things off] other than to use BIOS defaults as well as using Samsung's recommended values for the primary timings. The thing is that when I rotated the DIMM sticks vs DIMM slots, i.e. varying the memory stick positioning to ensure that it is not specific memory that is the cause of the problem, the problem remains the same, which is that anytime 6 DIMMs are used, the DIMM BIOS report page says that "DIMM5 + DIMM6" are faulty. That could mean anything, of course, unless I purchase another 2x4GB of the same DIMMs and/or another X79 mainboard to venture further, the hearsay about X79 "greater than 6xDIMM" mishandling ringing in my mind. Any further comment is welcome. Thank you for your assistance.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    If that channel works when other slots are not populated then there is no physical problem with the motherboard. You have chosen a bad way to run a high density configuration really. There is a reason why 32gb and 64gb kits command a price premium.

If you wanted plug and play, you should have opted for a single kit as I stated earlier.

The primary timings indicated by Samsung are for a single kit only, not multiple kits together. You will need to relax the primary, secondary and third timings to even stand a chance of making anything more than 4 sticks run (even 4 might need sme relaxing if the memory controller on your CPU is not strong).

Check out the R4E guide in my signature for hints on DRAM Timing meanings. You will need to add at least +2 clocks to each relevant timing to start and then work from there.

The X79 platform is only complex like this when users decide to buy multiple memory kits and then expect things to be plug and play. Unfortunately, having 8 DRAM slots and 16GB+ configurations on a budget is too alluring for many, and they fall into the same situation you have here. On top of that, the memory controllers in these CPUs are variable - not all can handle high density kits at high speeds either.

-Raja
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 02-15-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    A quick Google search revealed the following:

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-r...tdown-feature/

Try that first.

-Raja
    Yep, this fixt it thnx
    Last edited by t_ski; 02-17-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Will there ever be X-Fi MB 2/3 support for the rampage IV Extreme? since the rampage IV formula has support with X-Fi MB 2
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme X.I.P.
    No, that's for Formula only which is aimed at gamers more than the Extreme.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

No, that's for Formula only which is aimed at gamers more than the Extreme.
    Well that's disappointing. Also it just as a advice, I think ASUS should have a light weight overclocking tool like EVGA's E-LEET. I don't like installing the whole AI Suite....
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

If that channel works when other slots are not populated then there is no physical problem with the motherboard. You have chosen a bad way to run a high density configuration really. There is a reason why 32gb and 64gb kits command a price premium.

If you wanted plug and play, you should have opted for a single kit as I stated earlier.

The primary timings indicated by Samsung are for a single kit only, not multiple kits together. You will need to relax the primary, secondary and third timings to even stand a chance of making anything more than 4 sticks run (even 4 might need sme relaxing if the memory controller on your CPU is not strong).

Check out the R4E guide in my signature for hints on DRAM Timing meanings. You will need to add at least +2 clocks to each relevant timing to start and then work from there.

The X79 platform is only complex like this when users decide to buy multiple memory kits and then expect things to be plug and play. Unfortunately, having 8 DRAM slots and 16GB+ configurations on a budget is too alluring for many, and they fall into the same situation you have here. On top of that, the memory controllers in these CPUs are variable - not all can handle high density kits at high speeds either.

-Raja
    The advice is much appreciated. Will replace with high capacity RAM instead.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hello

The ROG Serie X79 (RIVE, RIVF, RIVG) is discontinued
    I saw it on the ROG forum
    Sorry for my english

LL A77F - Asus Rampage V Extreme - 5930K - Corsair Platinum 4x4Go 3000 C15 - Zotac 770 - SSD Samsung 850 Pro & 830
    Pump D5 with mod Bitspower - EK Supremacy - Koolance GTX680 - HW Labs SR1 280 & EK XTX 360

Xtreme X.I.P.
    We are still stocking and selling them as far as I am aware. Boards don't go EOL until the next platform launches.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 03-18-2013 at 05:22 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    Is there going to be a new Rampage if the i7-3980X launches?
    Core i7 Extreme 4960X @ 4.5 GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 32 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, GTX 780 3-way SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 700D, Corsair H100i, Corsair Force GT 180GB, Windows 8 Pro, Asus VG278HR

Core i7 Extreme 990X @ 4.4 GHz, Asus Rampage III Black Edition, 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, EVGA GTX 580 "Black Ops" SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 650D, Corsar H100, Samsung 830 256GB, Asus ROG Thunderbolt, Windows 7 Pro

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Will have to wait and see. If we feel we need to update our board range, we do.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

I just got myself an amazing deal over the RIVE for a price of 392$ woot woot

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1825262728293031 ... LastLast