Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cerberus: 3-way sli

Cool Cerberus: 3-way sli

Hi everyone!

I want to show you the work-log of my new rig. It's name - CERBERUS: 3-WAY SLI, because it has:
    * 3 heads (3x 27" Full-HD displays),
    * 3 hearts (3x Laing D5 pumps),
    * 3 blood-circulation systems (3x watercooling loops)
    ...And of course it has 3-WAY SLI GeForce GTX580 (EVGA)

Also, it has a 5 watercooling radiators (2 of them are exclusive TFC Monsta Extreme 420/360 Limited Edition) with a lot of fans in "push-pull" configuration, and a lot of more interesting moments...

The project is 99% complete now, but I want to start from beginning, from the start of my build.

I'll write my work-log step by step with a lot of photos and short comments between...

So, "it has begun" (c) MK
    Last edited by SharkGTX; 11-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd switch those 27's for some 2560 x 1440 27s. 1080p looks terrible at that screen size.

PART 1: How it was...

Before the start of work-log, I want to show you, how it was in the past... my previous build, "NightVision: CLASSIFIED". Many hardware components from it, but not all...

I'll stay on LGA1366, EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED, EVGA GTX 580 (but now - 3-WAY SLI), Laing D5 (but now - 3x D5), and many other differences (new case, new radiator, new fans, modding and custom created parts).

To be continued
    Last edited by SharkGTX; 11-12-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metachronos View Post
    I'd switch those 27's for some 2560 x 1440 27s. 1080p looks terrible at that screen size.
    I don't agree with you with 3 reasons:

1) Quality of 27" with 1080p from 1,5m distance, (because its most convenient distance from 3x 27" in landscape mode), is good. It's poor from 0,5m...
    2) It's really impossible to play high demand games at 7680x1440 with AA and full graphic settings... Even 3-WAY SLI GTX580 (2x590) with high OC don't give such power... Its beyond the limit, and I love FULL graphic settings and AA at any resolution
    3) I had already 2 of these monitors, and I'm loving it for design and speed in games!
    Last edited by SharkGTX; 11-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Your previous system looks awesome. Looking for to see what you do this time. New case?
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Your previous system looks awesome. Looking for to see what you do this time. New case?
    Thanks. The NightVision: CLASSIFIED is the famous system in Ukraine/Russia. New case is Mauntain Mods Extended Ascension + Mauntain Mods Pedestal 24

PART 2 - 3-WAY SLI and new PSU

I added third GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX580 SC)

....and new 1500W PSU - Enermax MaxRevo 1500W

To be continued

PART 3 - New case for the Monster

This Monstrous rig need a really monstrous gigantic case, and I think, that the best choice was Mountain Mods Extended Ascension (the biggest case in the world) with additional Mountain Mods Pedestal 24 for it (I need it to mount something interest inside )
    This case is GIANT, but empty, and it's obviously need to do a great work with custom creation case parts to fill an empty places inside... I mean, the cable management panel behind the motherboard tray, and I did it! But... I will return to this later, and now lets see the case and pedestal:

My new color theme is black/red and that's why I painted some case parts in to red color:

To be continued

PART 4 – Pumps, reservoirs, fitting and coolant

In this part of my work-log . I’ll show you my water-circulated system, which combines:
    - Pumps
    - Reservoirs (tops)
    - Compression fittings (different angle and combinations of it)
    - Coolant

This project need a very high performance cooling system, and it’s impossible without at least 2 performance pumps. In this build there are 3x Laing D5 Vario.

Top/Reservoir for two of them you have seen before, that’s why I’ll show you third res for the third D5 – It’s EK X-RES COMBO (Top/Res for one Laing D5)

We can talk a lot about the fittings, which are the best quality, which are the best for price/quality choice, but I guess, that the best fittings are BITSPOWER 19mm/13mm Rotary Compression Fittings (and they are the most expensive). I choose the black mate color, and obviously bought a lot of rotary- (dual- and triple-rotary):

Look what is this funny arachnid came to my hand :-)

These fittings looks great and very high quality:

Coolant: I choose the Thermochill EC6 Red coolant, because of blood-like color, and high quality:

To be continued

Xtreme Member
    I love those cases! Any pics of it assembled with the two tone paint job yet?
    Main Comp (Win 7): ASUS R4E, i7-3930k @ 4.9GHz, G.Skill Ripjaw Z 4x4GB @ 2133MHz, ATI 6950flash/6970 Xfire, Custom Watercooling
    3x Asus VW246H eyefinity; Polk Audio Monitor 40's (L,R), CS10 (C), Klipsch KG^4 (S), Sony STR-DA1000ES; all in a custom built desk
    Server: (Ubuntu 11.04) i7-920 @ 3.8GHz, 24GB G.Skill

Quote Originally Posted by CJ145 View Post
    I love those cases! Any pics of it assembled with the two tone paint job yet?
    I will post next parts of worklog, and you will see the case and all what you need soon

It's so "dirty", it hurts... Can wait to see all the stuff inside the case.. (hits subscribe)
    I steal all your cookies !!

Build Log AKA "Hamster" The Constant run towards evolution..

RP452X2 "How to bleed" Guide...

i5 2500K | 8GB 2133 Dominator GT | Gigabyte P67A UD7
    GTX580 x3 | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | WD Blacks x2 2TB RAID1
    Corsair AX750 + 1200 | Caselab M10 + Pedestal
    Koolance 370 | AquagraFX 580 x3 | D5 x4 | Dual Loop
    Aquaero XT | PA2 x6

PART 5 – Radiators = 2x TFC MONSTA EXTREME 420/360 LIMITED EDITION Radiators + 3x TFC Exchanger 360 Radiatos

I had 3x TFC Exchanger 360mm Radiators

…but for this system is not enough, and that’s why I started to search the radiators of my dream – the legendary TFC MONSTA Extreme Edition (they are Limited Edition, which manufactured in quantity of 350 in world).
    I understood, that I had no chance to find they this summer, because of few seasons:
    * This is a VERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rare radiators, its truly exclusive;
    * 90% of it situated in USA, and I’m living in Ukraine (half of planet away);
    * I wanted 2 of them, which lover my chances to absolutely minimal… and makes my idea nearly impossible…

BUT I’M DID IT !!!
    I’m started to search it in YouTube, and eventually I found it!

Obviously, I have to say THANKS A LOT!!!!!! to 2 good people:

Adrian Wilson aka Trubritar (USA) - http://www.youtube.com/user/trubritar?blend=1&ob=4
    He sell me its own Monsta. This is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvj1c...8E8DC3353A9A20
    He is great man, and real hardware enthusiast! Thanks Arian for all. Nice to meet you!

Dillion (USA) - http://www.youtube.com/user/dillontube1
    He had this radiator, and don’t want to sell it, but he understood my idea, and agree to sell it to me! Thanks friend! I’m glad.

This is my all 5 radiators 2x TFC MONSTA EXTREME 420/360 Limited Edition + 3x TFC Xchanger 360:

Here is the picture of MONSTA with BitsPower Dual Rotary 90* Angle Compression fittins:

To be continued
    Last edited by SharkGTX; 11-13-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Those monster rads are so big and awesome. I do have a couple questions:

Why do a MM case when you could do a CaseLabs TH10 and have better cable management, not as big, but still fit all the components in it?

Why the TFC rads when the new Aquaplex rads are just as big and can have the pumps integrated?

Grant you, this is all personal preference, but I am just curious to the rad and case selection.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Thanks! I want to use the biggest case with pedestal. CaseLabs is smaller, than MM.
    My MM has better cable management, than CaseLabs, because of custom created cable management panel from glance acryl

Laing D5 is more powerful, than integrated pump in Aquaplex.
    TFC MONSTA EXTREME is the most powerful and exclusive radiators in the world. It was created only 350 in the whole world! And 1 Monsta with 3x140 is stronger, than MO-RA 3 with 9x140

Any other questions?

Banned
    And 1 Monsta with 3x140 is stronger, than MO-RA 3 with 9x140
    i'll just leave this here

mora 2 (120mm)

nice previous rig

Quote Originally Posted by kroks View Post
    i'll just leave this here

mora 2 (120mm)

nice previous rig
    Which fans? Which rpm? Not enough information...

I had MORA 2 120 and I had MORA 3 140. And I have tested they all itself on i7 920. And 1 Monsta was the best!

P.S.: Look at these tests http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/wa...adiatoren.html

Especialy on that
    1.8C delta O_0 on high Rpm is ideal for tests!
    But even on low rpm Monsta is much stronger, than MORA -

I really liked your first rig a lot with the Corsair case and the external/custom wall mounted Mora. Kudos on scoring two Monstas from of all places, youtube! You are making me miss my old Monsta from 2009. I used to have a white one and paint job was great on it, except they did not etch the Monsta logo on the black sideplates in white. Look forward to seeing your next step (maybe a mod should move to worklogs?).

Quote Originally Posted by Beriphent View Post
    I really liked your first rig a lot with the Corsair case and the external/custom wall mounted Mora. Kudos on scoring two Monstas from of all places, youtube! You are making me miss my old Monsta from 2009. I used to have a white one and paint job was great on it, except they did not etch the Monsta logo on the black sideplates in white. Look forward to seeing your next step (maybe a mod should move to worklogs?).
    System is working now) worklog woull be step by step
    Today I will write next part

PART 6 – TFC MONSTA EXTREME: Fans, its installation on the radiators and... installation 2x MOSTA into the Pedestal

Each type of radiator needs special type of fans… It’s obvious

For 2x TFC MONSTA EXTREME I’ve choose 12x 140mm NoiseBlocker PK-3 [1700rpm]

(tube is XSPC High Flex II Clear 19mm/13mm)

This extremely big-sized radiators has a approximately regular 3x140 height and weight, but they has huge (~5inch) thickness!!! That’s why it’s very important to cover all radiator space, and it’s necessary to mount exactly 140mm fans (NOT 3x120mm!!!). And much better to mount 6x140mm fans on the radiator, because is VERY THICK, and VERY DIFFICULT to blow air through it.
    So, let’s assemble them:

After this I have mount fans on the other side of the radiators and connect all 12 fans (6 fans on each MONSTA) to two 3pin connectors, which would be connected to 2x channels of the fan controller.

All assembled composition I've install into the Mauntain Mods Pedestal 24

With fittings and tubes connected it looks like this (see text about the Final version details configuration):

To be continued

PART 7 – Fans for the 3x TFC XChanger 360

Here was a big problem...

I wanted get fans as good, as possible. And that's why I got TFC Triebwerk TK-123 2800rpm.

I ordered it from PerformancePCs (Over 200$ for delivery to my fu**g Ukraine). I thought, that it's the best fans in the world for CERBERUS, and was very happy, when I eventually received it at post office.
    I planed to use them in 5V (600-800rpm) for 24/7, and set 12V (~3000rpm) for benchmarks and other game testing. But...
    These fans are FU**NG PIECE OF ***** (sorry moderators, but there are no other words to describe all this) !!!

The annoying vibration and weak performance on 4,5-5V makes these fans impossible to use in that mode, and till 8.5-9.0V these fans are don't work faster (not regulating slightly with fan controller), but after setting voltage after 8V - the fans immediately!!! accelerate to 1850rpm and sounds like a rocket!!

THAT'S WHY I HAVE CHANGE IT INTO COOLERMASTER XTRAFLO 800-2200rpm. These fans has very good performance, and very low noise, even on high rpm. And they has very beautiful

As my project has an agressive theme, the fan grills (at least, which would be visible) must be agressive too. Something like this:

My fan controllers LAMPTRON FC5v2 (30W per channel)

IMPORTANT: here, and in next parts, you may see some pictures with Triebwerk TK-123, but I understood it's lack much later, than started to build... you understtod me IN FINAL VERSION THERE ARE NO TRIEBWERKs!!!

I thought "If PC would be a MONSTER with 3x Monitors 27" for Surround-gaming - I have to build giant custom table for it!", and I did it!

I prefer natural wood, instead of cheaper artificial materials... Thats why I created my own project "Table for the CERBERUS" to did ultimate 5760x1080-gaming setup on it!

I requested 175sm-high girl to seat on that table for your understanding it's real scale

To be continued

Xtreme Guru
    As always in pics with 3-display setups 1st thought to me is that i'd prefer all three in portrait mode for a bit more common height:width ratio instead of overly wide.
    Judging by width of drawer section on the right you intend to host case/hardware into one of them?
    And compliments to girl

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    As always in pics with 3-display setups 1st thought to me is that i'd prefer all three in portrait mode for a bit more common height:width ratio instead of overly wide.
    Judging by width of drawer section on the right you intend to host case/hardware into one of them?
    And compliments to girl
    I dont see a sense to set 3x27" in portrait mode, because I have a 55" TV leftside this table and I can play games on it with cordless gamepad if I want, and 82" TV in other room
    In landscape mode you have a super-wide angle of view! It's great!
    Last edited by SharkGTX; 11-14-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Beautiful and powerful "beast"
    1) CaseLabs TH10+pedestal+ext.top/EVGA Classified SR-2/2xXeon X5690/4-SLI GTX580/24GB Dominator GT 2000C8/2xEnermaxMaxRevo1500
    2) CaseLabs STH10/Rampage4Extreme/i7-3960X/Quad-SLI GTX690/16GB Dominator GT 1866/Enermax PlatiMax 1500

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast