Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel Haswell, Shark Bay platform, Quad-Core, 22nm, LGA1150 - Chiphell

Xtreme Addict
    this is a very important and wonderful slide: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/35202c4...fa3583095a.jpg

they've got an architecture that has an OPTIONAL I/O chip. so they're trimming extra power off the architecture by making a derivative of the CPU which is maximally independent. wonderful. it will be nearly the power of a current atom architecture, but with big performance and graphics. lovely transition for laptops coming.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    they could reuse sockets longer. please don't try to re-rationalize something that is obvious. intel has always been the leader and they can do whatever they want. there is no law against being an and obsoleting your products. normally competition allows you to switch, voting with your money, but intel has no good competition.
    If anyone is unhappy about the socket switch, then don't buy their products. Totally agree with you.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Quote Originally Posted by HKPolice View Post
    This better hit 6Ghz stable on air with 22nm + intergrated VRs.
    how would an onboard pwm be good for enthusiasts, intel cannot put a good one on its server boards so i dont see how an integrated one will be any good for overclocking. im sure it will help laptops and OEMs but not the enthusiast.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    this is a very important and wonderful slide: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/35202c4...fa3583095a.jpg

they've got an architecture that has an OPTIONAL I/O chip. so they're trimming extra power off the architecture by making a derivative of the CPU which is maximally independent. wonderful. it will be nearly the power of a current atom architecture, but with big performance and graphics. lovely transition for laptops coming.
    Exactly what makes this product perfect...
    Consumption of ATOM, power of SNB/IVB... Building a NAS/Firewall/Router into one computer, will be PLENTY easy, even for network with 50 ppl+... & at very low power consumption...
    It will finally realize the digital home... And from the slides, the Intel technology that they didnt really want to launch (Thunderbolt) seems to hit the market, and not just be an expression of what wont happen in real life...
    *USB competetion, yeah right, we all have thunderbolt dongles, HDD's etc.... Bullshift... They didnt do jack of it except sleep with Apple...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

I am Xtreme
    Well its was speced by apple.. its bound to fail...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueagent6 View Post
    I still haven't found any reason to upgrade from my i7-920 @ 4GHz.
    Yep. I'm quite happy with my i7-860@4ghz w/16gb ram.

I may pull the trigger when Ivy Bridge hits the market because these newer chips are great for encoding. Lets see how Ivy Bridge performs first though.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Yep. I'm quite happy with my i7-860@4ghz w/16gb ram.

I may pull the trigger when Ivy Bridge hits the market because these newer chips are great for encoding. Lets see how Ivy Bridge performs first though.
    I am really happy with my i5-750 @4ghz as well. I really don't see a reason to upgrade until 22nm eight core CPU's are a realistic solution. Should only be about 2 more years.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Lets see how Ivy Bridge performs first though.
    Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for. However I'm more interested in seeing how the mobile variants perform. Looking at picking up a decent laptop when I get my tax return.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkram View Post
    I really don't see a reason to upgrade until 22nm eight core CPU's are a realistic solution. Should only be about 2 more years.
    I toyed with picking up a Gulftown, but could never justify the price. I did pick up an AMD 1090T to play with, but even at 4GHz it couldn't compare to the snappiness of my i7-920 at the same speed.

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

I wouldn't care if they changed sockets twice a year. When I upgrade, I get a new motherboard regardless. If they need to break pin compatibility to fit new features, that's just one of the casualties of progress. I gladly accept that.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I wouldn't care if they changed sockets twice a year. When I upgrade, I get a new motherboard regardless. If they need to break pin compatibility to fit new features, that's just one of the casualties of progress. I gladly accept that.
    Likewise. I would never get a new CPU and stick with a crummy older board. Quite to the contrary, I generally end up getting multiple boards for a given cpu.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    Alwasy fun to look into the future. Hope they rock.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lawyers from Intel has formally written a letter to Chiphell to request removal of the thread leaking these details.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I'm on a slow upgrade cycle... everything I do is GPU limited, so I couldn't care less.

All I really need on a motherboard? USB3. I'd stick with an old mobo, but I just don't need to change my cpu. Its never holding me back.

I can see cpu bound users might be annoyed.. but they tend to be pretty cashed up and willing to spend $$$ for development, crunching, or whatever it is kids do these days
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Today: "MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet"
    Tomorrow: "Google removes MPAA term from its search engine"
    Day after tomorrow: "No one remembers who or what MPAA is , nor cares anymore"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    how would an onboard pwm be good for enthusiasts, intel cannot put a good one on its server boards so i dont see how an integrated one will be any good for overclocking. im sure it will help laptops and OEMs but not the enthusiast.
    Its not integrated. The PWM chip is still on the board, so is the VRM. Currently on boards there are 3 major VRMs that power the CPU, each one provides a different output voltage, in the case of current CPUs, its VCCIO(Vcore)(This is usually 8,16,12,24 phases). VCCIO(or QPI'/VTT voltage, usually 1-2 phases), and then VCCSA(System Agent voltage, 1-2 phases).

Now with this instead of having 16+2+2 youll just have something like 16, and the CPU will reduce that vcore into the other voltages needed.

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Maybe my recent opinion is tainted by s1156 and s1155. One pin difference? Everything about the socket says "ha ha, f***ed you over, buy more hardware" Now we get 1150 as well. 2015 relase: s1147.
    Yeah and Intel recently learnt a new strategy, instead of making sockets with completely random numbers that no-body remembers!
    They'll follow the year, for 2011 they'll release LGA 2011... what happens if there's a delay?

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel Core i7-3960X 3.3Ghz (#3133B429)
    @4500.05 MHz (air) /4624.98 MHz (air) /4699.92 MHz (H80) /4800.05 MHz (H80)
    Corsair Memory 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance 1600 Mhz 1.5v
    Gigabyte GV-N580UD-15I @920Mhz (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD 120 GB (Win7)
    OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD 120 GB (Linux)
    Corsair Hydro Series™ H80 & AP-14 (x2) (now shopping for LC gear)
    Corsair AX1200 PSU
    SilverStone Raven RV02W-EW

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I'm confused. So there's no 22nm drop in for 1155?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    I'm confused. So there's no 22nm drop in for 1155?
    1155 will get the tock (SB die shrink). Haswell is the tick (new arch)

Xtreme Addict
    isn't amd supposed to deploy 22nm sometime late next year? seems as if the gap with intel may finally be narrowed down to 4-6 months? haswell is supposed to be cmt based correct? i really hope amd can get things settled with piledriver.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    isn't amd supposed to deploy 22nm sometime late next year? seems as if the gap with intel may finally be narrowed down to 4-6 months? haswell is supposed to be cmt based correct? i really hope amd can get things settled with piledriver.
    As it stands today, Intel is roughly 18 months ahead of IBM, Global Foundries, TSMC and Samsung on their process technology. Intel began shipping 32nm parts in late 2009, while AMD started shipping 32nm parts from Global Foundries in April, 2011.
    The most likely scenario for 22nm is that Intel begins shipping at the end of 2011 or early 2012 and the foundries follow with 20nm products in 2013. Intel will have a ~18 month window with a twofold manufacturing edge over their competitors.
    http://realworldtech.com/page.cfm?Ar...0511195446&p=2

Quote Originally Posted by UltraNEO* View Post
    Yeah and Intel recently learnt a new strategy, instead of making sockets with completely random numbers that no-body remembers!
    They'll follow the year, for 2011 they'll release LGA 2011... what happens if there's a delay?
    Sockets are named two ways. There's usually a letter designation and a number designation. The number designations have been more popularly used for Intel products around the time Socket 7 was replaced by Socket 370 and later 478. I'm not sure if either of them had letter designations, but sockets after that did. The ubiquitous LGA 775 is also called Socket T, LGA 1366 is Socket B, and LGA 1156 is Socket H for example. The numbers aren't random or named for years (in the case of LGA 2011). They're named for the number of contacts in the socket (plus or minus a few that are sometimes used for keying on PGA products).

It also occurs to me that you might have just been joking, but it's hard to tell with inflectionless text on the Internet.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    the worst thing is that we are still stuck with quad cores in mainstream... sad that there is no competition

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by soya_crack View Post
    the worst thing is that we are still stuck with quad cores in mainstream... sad that there is no competition
    You need six+ cores in "mainstream" desktop market? Are you joking? What are the 3 or 4 out of 6 going to do 99% of the time,sit idle and waste die area?
    Intel is not stupid and they know what to position at certain market segments. When a large chunk of commercial software used in desktop segment reaches the point that it will be able to utilize 4+ cores, intel will offer more than QC in mainstream segment. Until then it's pointless.

Xtreme Addict
    The more options the better.

Xtreme Member
    You need six+ cores in "mainstream" desktop market? Are you joking? What are the 3 or 4 out of 6 going to do 99% of the time,sit idle and waste die area?
    Intel is not stupid and they know what to position at certain market segments. When a large chunk of commercial software used in desktop segment reaches the point that it will be able to utilize 4+ cores, intel will offer more than QC in mainstream segment. Until then it's pointless.
    yeap, it is called advance.

Xtreme Addict
    Generally, you have to build it before it can be used. I'll refrain from using a car analogy but you could probably guess it.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast