Thread: sat around, doesn't pull very far down.

Xtreme Member

sat around, doesn't pull very far down.

I've had this unit, unfortunately, for a while now. I got it back from repairs, turned it on, watched it pull down to -46c. That was a couple years ago. I haven't really touched it since then, just been sitting around doing nothing. Went to turn it back on and two butt splices had come loose so the thing wouldn't fire up. twisted those together just to see if it would start up and pull down. Well, it started up.. but it only pulled down to -36. It was charged with r410a, not sure on the date but it had to have been at least a year ago. However my other unit pulls to -50 after 3 years, but it's an 507 unit. Since the r410a is a higher pressure gas, it would make sense that a leak would develop but this is one tiny little leak, if it still pulls to -36c.. no idea what it does on load.. Am i just dealing with one freaking microscopic leak or is there something else going on.. seems like it would be empty after over a year if it were just a leak.

Xtreme Member
    think the k-type probe may be... out of position...

Xtreme Member
    Uh yeah.. it was the probe placement... and one of the two fans was not on.. i feel retarded. or maybe not because i fixed it myself. Just got it to pull down to -46c. I will look into the placement of the other probe (there were two, one for the external display, one for hooking up to a DT. The one for a DT seems to have moved out of place, and i have to pull the e-ring off to get at the area, and i don't have e-ring pliars, though my needle noses may work.
    So Scott, your brazing holds up just as well as ron's, this was just my own dumbness (this unit was built by sdumper, my other unit was built by ron who runs under-the-ice.com)
    Last edited by lesstutrey; 11-08-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Administrator
    Good to hear that it was sorted out Less

Xtreme Addict
    Hey, this stuff happens from time to time. You turn something on, doesn't work as expected, and then "WTF!!! @#@#%!@ #@$ @$#@!@$ %%%$@!##$@."

Hehehe.. Then the smoke clears and you take a closer look and realize it was a relatively small issue.

I do this all the time....
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Member
    so how do i pull off the key and where should i place the probe, side of the evap?