Thread: Help me choose my design! :)

Xtreme Addict

Help me choose my design! :)

Hopefully at least a few folks will help me out here.

I've got 3 designs that I am relatively satisfied with and each has its advantages, be it size, serviceability, appeal, or other factors. I want people to tell me which one they like the most. I will post all 3 as separate posts. Here goes.....
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    Design A: This design saves space by placing the compressor on top of a stand with the condenser, and places the evaporator underneath. The stand is planned to be constructed using HDPE plastic with 1" thickness at the supports and 1/2" thickness for the table top. The oil separator after the compressor has not been updated in the design, as it is much smaller in reality. I obtained a Temprite 340 rather than using the 900 series, so that itself is slightly different. Its the most compact design, leaving space for the controls to the left.

Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Design B: This design is slightly less compact, but makes design of the cooler (Evap inside) bleed system a bit easier. It was revision 2 in the new design process. The first one (Design A) is revision 3.

Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Design 3: Finally we have the initial revision of sorts in the rotary redesign. This one is the least compact, obviously, but I'm still considering it because it would likely be the easiest to make repairs to should something go wrong. There will be plenty of space for controls, as well. So there we have it. I hope someone actually puts in their "vote."

I tried to make a poll, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that hehe.

Regards, Stew.....

PI in the face
    im too stupid to comment so I choose 3
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the comment. I was leaning towards either 2 or 3, because the plastic table adds additional cost. The third one is the easier to work on should repairs be needed. However, 2 is more compact. I am seeing a common thread with others that I have asked, and they all like #3 as well.

Given that I like all three of them pretty equally, though, I figured a "vote" would be easier than eeny meeny miney moe.....
    Regards, Stew.....

im for number 3
    Thanks Eagle101
    -------------------------
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    SSD Ocz RevoDrive3 X2 Raid0 PciE
    -51c Cpu SS Phase.Change Cooling
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    1600 Watts P2 Evga Platinum
    G.SKILL Trident X Cas7 1600Mhz
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Addict
    I think I can conclude the voting... I've asked over 10 people here and elsewhere, and 90% chose #3 hehe.
    Regards, Stew.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    I think I can conclude the voting... I've asked over 10 people here and elsewhere, and 90% chose #3 hehe.
    (((start building number 3 Stewie007, dont waste anytime)))
    Thanks Eagle101
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Addict
    I wish I could build it, finances are a bit short for now, hehe. Long story....

I do have the compressor and oil separator, though. I've gotta acquire the piping and other components first. I won't do any work until I have the electrical controls, and the refrigerant. That guarantees that I won't get stoppage once I finish.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Damn..... If I build #3, I'll need to build a casket to house it! LOL.... Someone might think I'm storing a dead body in there hehehehehe...
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Hey Stew

Thought I'd poke my head in, since I've actually been posting here and there again.

Love the compressor, I saw when you'd bought it, and it's the same one I put into a SS cooler. Very powerful. I did notice it really likes higher mass flow, and only starts cooling really well when the compressor gets hot.

Something to keep in mind, but a Chiller seems like what it's built for in a way

I don't really understand why you want such a 'spread out' setup. I mean, it's easy to get at everything, but they all look like a coffin would be the ideal case to put them in

Guess I've been trying to compact any and all coolers I've worked on lately, so maybe your way is better I don't know.

If I have to choose one of these, I think I'd go with Option A and just squeeze the sections a bit tighter.

Hope you get to building soon Would be nice to see it come together.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    I am considering a few ways to refine the design further so that it won't be such a monster, but in all honesty my decision to go with a water cooled condenser has ended up increasing the footprint substantially. Without it, I could probably cut 2 feet off of the design. That said, I'm going to stick with the water cooled bit, just because it'll be loads more fun.

Im working on some refinements that will cut the required chest size to around 5 feet long. It would cramp things up a bit, but I think I can make it work. I'm hoping spring time for work to start. It all depends on how everything works out.
    Regards, Stew.....

I am considering a few ways to refine the design further so that it won't be such a monster, but in all honesty my decision to go with a water cooled condenser has ended up increasing the footprint substantially. Without it, I could probably cut 2 feet off of the design. That said, I'm going to stick with the water cooled bit, just because it'll be loads more fun.

Im working on some refinements that will cut the required chest size to around 5 feet long. It would cramp things up a bit, but I think I can make it work. I'm hoping spring time for work to start. It all depends on how everything works out.
    stewie...
    what board and system will you run in your new cooling system #3....?
    merry christmas
    Thanks Eagle101
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Addict
    I've been an AMD guy for a while, I was looking at a Sabertooth or Crosshair, but the verdict isn't out on that. I'm leaning toward Sabertooth because of that one extra X4 slot that would be available even with 3 Graphics cards.

By the time I finish all of this, though new products will likely be out. So I'm not set on any specific board or chip yet... other than I know I'll definitely be going after 7000 Series cards....
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Still pretty big, but a watercooled condensor setup is always going to add bulk and your capacity (at least on the condensor) should be virtually unlimited for the purpose of reference on this system. No reason why you can't maintain ambient condensing at any load, and it's far easier to add more condensor cooling on a water loop. Taking out the need to degass to upgrade the cooling on that side is a real plus, and easy as adding another radiator to the loop.

Even if you never build it (and at this rate...) you're certainly honing your design skills. I still just use Paint every time I want a drawing but I generally suck at CAD and you obviously don't.

Considering the size of the compressor and loop in general, and if you're sticking to non-condensing temperatures (like 10-20c range of water temp) your available capacity is seriously high, like a 2kW range. Should manage pretty much everything you have in the PC

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mole View Post
    Still pretty big, but a watercooled condensor setup is always going to add bulk and your capacity (at least on the condensor) should be virtually unlimited for the purpose of reference on this system. No reason why you can't maintain ambient condensing at any load, and it's far easier to add more condensor cooling on a water loop. Taking out the need to degass to upgrade the cooling on that side is a real plus, and easy as adding another radiator to the loop.

Even if you never build it (and at this rate...) you're certainly honing your design skills. I still just use Paint every time I want a drawing but I generally suck at CAD and you obviously don't.

Considering the size of the compressor and loop in general, and if you're sticking to non-condensing temperatures (like 10-20c range of water temp) your available capacity is seriously high, like a 2kW range. Should manage pretty much everything you have in the PC

Gray
    This particular compressor is rated at the lowest rating point north of 1700 Watts. However, in order to achieve that I've up sized my condenser to a 20 ft double coil (inner and outer). It should be able to provide good heat absorption capabilities for my water. I've added a second radiator, so in total there will be 6 radiators. Three connected to the housing, and an extra 3 x 3 radiator behind.

Still refining the design for a shrink, and so far I think I may be able to get it under 5 feet long.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Damn..... If I build #3, I'll need to build a casket to house it
    Get one that it's lightly used, maybe even one with a few stains, you could save a lot of money.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    Just so it doesn't stink..... hehehehe
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Did some work on my designs! I was able to cut the length of the chest down to just under 5 Feet on the first design, and a few inches over on the second. Overall I think they're both good designs. The one with the table support is the shorter one.

I've also included the Chest Design, which is sound insulated in between the 2 ply walls and inside with some foam insulation. Should provide for a nice look with some functionality. Given the color scheme, I'll probably vie for stainless steel plates rather than copper plates.

So below is is the first and slightly shorter of the two.

Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Here is the second. I only included 3 shots, as the chest will be no different, just a little longer.

Regards, Stew.....

I vote for putting everything inside a big freezer instead of making something. Colder AND saves you construction time
    Clevo P150EM
    2920xm ES @4.35GHz
    680m @954/4620, 1V
    840 Pro 256GB
    8GB 1866mhz CAS10 G.Skill

Xtreme Addict
    Eh, not worried about construction time. Besides, putting the chiller inside the bedroom (more like "The Office" because I don't sleep in that room) requires that I house it in something that fits with the setting. Plus, there is no way my wife would allow me to set a freezer inside such a room anyways.

The thing is, I wanted to design something to not only challenge my abilities, but I wanted it to be fun to build. I don't mind spending an entire month or more completing a project in my spare time. When its over I don't have anything to do, and I get bored; so the more work the better. hehehe
    Last edited by Stewie007; 01-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Well, I've done my fill of designing I think. I can't really go any further than this. I selected 2 Bain Marie Pots over the hotel pan and managed to chop an additional 5 inches off to give me a system that will fit into an exactly 5 foot long chest as I originally wanted to hit. I'll have 5 gallons of fluid total.

Regards, Stew.....