Thread: Pump Vibration Isolatoin

Pump Vibration Isolatoin

What methods or products are used to isolate vibration from the pump?

I just put a new loop together (MCP655, MCR220-QP, CPU Only - Apogee GT). I really wanted to quiet my computer down and was trying to think of the best way to isolate the vibration from the pump.

I recently installed some Dynamat in my car and had some left over. I put some on the bottom of my case and that helped, but not enough. I noticed that if I held pump by the tubing so it wasn't touching the case that the vibrations were virtually eliminated. So I cut up three pieces of tubing to make a "base" for the pump and it worked really well. But it's not the most elegant solution. So I'm wondering what methods are used around here to isolate pump vibration.

Xtreme Member
    I let my pumps sit on a piece of foam and I have certain length of tubing between the pump and the reservoir & radiator. I get virtually no vibrations at all transfered to the rest of the system.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    something like this is also effective. the description tells you what to make one out of: http://www.aquatuning.us/product_inf...rsion-2-0.html
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've used 3 different methods.
    1) bolted a mcp-355 to a big block of steel. This worked really really well, but it was heavy and ugly. Great heat path.
    2) made a sandwich from a piece of rubbery foam and 2 pieces of acrylic. Bolted an mcp-350 to one side piece of acrylic and bolted the other piece to the case. The holes were staggered and the foam had a hole through it for each screw. I glued the sandwich together. Note, no heat path.
    3) with a mcp-355 I used some actual isolators, like these: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post4931675. I used a couple enzotech ramsinks for heat dissipation.

Method 1 adds so much mass to the system that any vibration is damped. Methods 2 and 3 remove the load path but the thermal path too. I prefer method 3.
    Last edited by meanmoe; 11-06-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    upgrading...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    petras tech shop used to sell some sort of thick gel pad , not sure if they still sell it. I still use it and its virtually silent
    i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz 1.335v [ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe]
    8gb gskill ripjaws f3-12800cl8-8gbxm
    600gb velociraptor + 1TB black
    MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II + x-fi xtrememusic
    corsair hx-620w + lian li pc201b + dell 2408fpw
    d-tek fuzion1/ddc2 + petra top/thermochill pa120.3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    petras tech shop used to sell some sort of thick gel pad , not sure if they still sell it. I still use it and its virtually silent

*edit. they do still sell it
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/pegviabbl.html
    i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz 1.335v [ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe]
    8gb gskill ripjaws f3-12800cl8-8gbxm
    600gb velociraptor + 1TB black
    MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II + x-fi xtrememusic
    corsair hx-620w + lian li pc201b + dell 2408fpw
    d-tek fuzion1/ddc2 + petra top/thermochill pa120.3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if you took all of the materials listed in this thread you could make one hell of a sound-damping sandwich. probably.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Addict
    I got some of that noise isolating foam (the type that's shaped like eggboxes), put two pieces on top of each other, and cut a hole in the middle for ventilation. The pump is resting on top of that.

But yeah, I tried method 3) which was mentioned by Meanmoe as well, which worked great for me as well.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I use Shoggy Sandwich extensively, with success. Totally eliminates any vibrations from my D5's.

24/7 running quiet and nice