Thread: Wear your seat belts...

Xtreme Enthusiast

Wear your seat belts...

I was driving down the road at 50mph (the speed limit) and a deer jumps off a hill into the road. I swerve to avoid it and some thing in my suspension breaks and causes me to loose control and slam into a wall of rocks. I hit head on and spin down the road 50-60 feet before stopping. I called 911 and couldn't catch my breath so I stayed in the car until a passerby told me my car was on fire. He helps me out of the car cause I still was winded and I watch my newly bought used car go up in flames without full coverage insurance. Firefighters/cops and every one at the hospital tell me I'm lucky to be alive let alone only have some bruises and a sprained ankle. The RN was so happy to see the bruising on my chest "That's what I like to see, seat belt marks" I would have flown through the front window and into the rocky embankment I hit if I hadn't have had it on. Please wear your seat belts.

Some photos http://imgur.com/a/4cfT4
    I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

of the Strawhat crew.
    Wow man, that's a crazy series of unfortunate events but good thing you're ok! I always wear my seat belt and make my passengers wear theirs also. No idea why some people think that they're uncool or something.. the uncool thing is dying because you didn't wear it. Also, props to the guy who helped you out of the car. You might have been burned.. badly.

Anyways, I'm glad that you're OK and +1 to wearing your seat belt.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    Wow man, that's a crazy series of unfortunate events but good thing you're ok! I always wear my seat belt and make my passengers wear theirs also. No idea why some people think that they're uncool or something.. the uncool thing is dying because you didn't wear it. Also, props to the guy who helped you out of the car. You might have been burned.. badly.

Anyways, I'm glad that you're OK and +1 to wearing your seat belt.
    its not that most people see them as uncool. most people don;t like their movement restricted.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Good you are ok

Seatbelts, the best thing sicne condoms where invented.

Just to say my father was killed over 40 years ago when I was child in a head on crash with a tree. He was thrown through the front screen and died of head injuries 3 days later. If he had been wearing his seat belt he would have walked away from the crash.

Modern cars are so well built and designed today that any crash under 50mph you will walk away from, as long as you wear your seat belt.

Car insurance cost me nearly 1000 US$ for full coverage, but my car is 6 months old and worth $30K, the way people drive here in china I take no risks.
    Last edited by chinaguy; 11-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    its not that most people see them as uncool. most people don;t like their movement restricted.
    You trying to exercise while you drive?

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    Seatbelts, the best thing sicne condoms where invented.
    Funny you mention this... because seatbelts and condoms seem to share similar usage issues, despite their obvious benefits.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Funny you mention this... because seatbelts and condoms seem to share similar usage issues, despite their obvious benefits.
    Isnt that the truth...

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You trying to exercise while you drive?
    /

not all cars have the adjustable seat belts that adjust where it come across the chest.
    my car for example would probably chop my head off if i got in an accident at 60 as it come right across the neck. i'm 6'1", idk who they made this car for but they were damn tall.

of the Strawhat crew.
    /

not all cars have the adjustable seat belts that adjust where it come across the chest.
    my car for example would probably chop my head off if i got in an accident at 60 as it come right across the neck. i'm 6'1", idk who they made this car for but they were damn tall.
    Hmm, I've never had that issue and I've driven a lot of cars/trucks/suvs. Sure there isn't a clip or something on the car seat's shoulder area? In anycase.. either the seat belt can chop your head off or the windshield can.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I had a woman passenger refused seatbelt because she thinks it will ruin her dress
    I said, I'm not concern about you or your dress.
    I'm concern about you flying off the seat and cracking my dashboard and the front windshield.

glad you made it out of there

Win7Pro 32-bit/ ABIT IP35 Pro v1.1 BIOS v.16beta09/ Intel C2D E8400 Batch Q748A223 /Xigmatek HDT-RS1283/ 4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 5-5-5-18 1.80V ver4.1/ CORSAIR 850AX/ CM Stacker 830SE/ ZALMAN ZM-F3RL 120mm Red LED/120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Red LED/ Creative Labs Fatal1ty ProGamer/ MSI R7870/ Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW-HC...new FPS: Groundbranch.com/
    Ace's 40mm fan solution...be my buddy

Banned Movieman...
    my car has the seatbelts that don't really "grab" if you know what i mean instead you fly forward anyway

edit: i hate this laptop, i always hit . or ; instead of the ' key

I am Xtreme
    glad to hear you're alive and spreading the word

i click it no tick it! lol

c[_]
    my car has the seatbelts that don't really "grab" if you know what i mean instead you fly forward anyway

edit: i hate this laptop, i always hit . or ; instead of the ' key
    You need to pull faster on them, or else the clutch mechanism is full of junk and malfunctioning.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    You need to pull faster on them, or else the clutch mechanism is full of junk and malfunctioning.
    i learned this by slamming on the break to avoid a deer. i almost ate the steering wheel, lol.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    i learned this by slamming on the break to avoid a deer. i almost ate the steering wheel, lol.

Xtreme Member
    So did you completely miss the deer or still hit it? Seatbelt has saved my life in the past. ALWAYS wear them.

Banned Movieman...
    it finally moved when it realized i still would have hit it. this was in daylight so it wasn't just a deer staring at my headlights like "hmm, i wonder what those are"

Xtreme Guru
    wow due your lucky! glad to hear yer okay
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Addict
    Glad to hear that you came out of it alright. I hear so many people make excuses to justify their failure to wear a seat belt. Its either in the way, or "The government isn't going to tell me what to do," or some similar kind of garbage. Here is another for the text books.

On a side note, in the future you might want to consider not swerving to miss the deer and just hit it. Many deer related deaths are actually not a result of hitting the deer, but sudden violent moves to attempt to miss the deer that result in loss of control and the end of the road for you. Yes, the deer could come up onto the hood and through the window (if you slammed on your breaks), but the odds are against death by strike vs death by swerve. Not trying to criticize, just pointing out how the common thought that leads us to attempt to "get out of danger" many times leads to greater danger.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    I always wear my seat belt.

And don't worry, I'm sure that'll just buff right out. And hey, if it does need work just go get your trusty tool box.

Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 11-28-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.