Thread: Radiator advice - 1x140mm?

Xtreme Member

Radiator advice - 1x140mm?

What would be considered good 140mm radiators to be used with a relatively silent fan (140mm Noctua fan)??

I'm looking at various options to boost my loop a bit and wondering whether I should add a fan in the rear of the case (Obsidian 700D) or cut up the top of the case for a 4x120 radiator.

Copie
    HWLabs SR1 make a 140.1 rad, ive got one, and as per SR1's they work really well with low rpm fans.

Xtreme Member
    You can also try the EK coolstream xt 140.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the replies so far;

The SR1, while looking appealing indeed, costs as much as a quad Swiftech radiator
    With regards to the EK CoolStream, that was a good option but it's fairly thick - and with a fan, it might stick out a bit too far into the case.
    Magicool seems to be a bit of both, slim as the SR1, cheap as a Swiftech...

I've got an i5-2500K at 4.8GHz, a GTX460 at 900MHz and 8GB of Mushkin Ram at 1600MHz and a triple radiator with 3x Noctua fans at the top.

Xtreme Member
    well, swiftech on their webpage says theyre going to release a whole series of 140mm radiators but that has been up there since the beginning of the year and it still doesnt have any pictures. hey gabe, if youre reading this could you say whether or not the 140mm rads will come out this year? please!

The SR1 is great quality but pricey, Magicool is a good option. Personally I'd go for SR1 just because the quality is so good.

Xtreme Addict
    What I don't like about the SR-1 line ups of radiators is that they are geared for push only.

They have a small shroud on the opposite side to the barbs, meaning the radiator is intended for use in push, while the barbs face inwards to the case.

Considering I prefer pull overall, it means that in order to not feel like I'm wasting some potential on my Sr1s, I've had to set up push/pull, which makes cleaning the rad more difficult.

The one reason I love pull over push is I can simply wipe across the top of the fins and clean the rad. With fans in the way, that becomes much more difficult.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I use pull over push too but mostly because of noise. I got several SR1's and the shroud side is actually the inlet filter side I use those phobya shrouds for my fans on the other side. And indeed SR1 are top quality, and they come clean inside (at least my 3 SR1's did)

24/7 running quiet and nice