Thread: portable case, plane trip

portable case, plane trip

just wondering what people's thoughts on a portable setup.

I am going on a flight, never tried to take a pc through security. I don't need peripherals, I just need a functioning PC.

I am torn between a laptop I probably wouldn't get any use of besides travel, and a portable mATX setup which I could likely demote to htpc duty if I needed to.
    Overtaking inactive user stats like no other

Xtreme Member
    Good question.

My gut feeling is that you're going to get trouble from security.

They already give people about laptops on the plane let alone a whole box with all kinds of circuitry.
    motherboard - EVGA Classified e770 EK watercooled
    cpu - i7 950 @ 4.420GHz EK watercooled
    video - EVGA gtx 580 sli 950/1900/2300 EK watercooled
    memory - 3 x 4GB Mushkin Redline (7-8-7-20 1T)
    storage - Corsair Force 120GB ssd
    power supply - Corsair AX850 (MDPC-X sleeving)
    case - Danger Den Torutre Rack

Xtreme Member
    Just get a laptop with HDMI out, then you can take it with you and use it as a HTPC

Xtreme Member
    i had no issue what so ever taking a laptop to brasil and back. If you do build one i would make some calls to see what hoops you might jump through to bring it. There are decent mini itx options depending on what you want to spend/do with it.

I am Xtreme
    i would advise against anything not a laptop. it only takes you going through the wrong line where the security personal has no idea what a computer is and then wastes hours of your time.

check my sig for the portable PC i built. the joke ANYONE who sees it says is about airplane security, and alot of those people are nerds aswell who have no idea what they are looking at.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i would advise against anything not a laptop. it only takes you going through the wrong line where the security personal has no idea what a computer is and then wastes hours of your time.

check my sig for the portable PC i built. the joke ANYONE who sees it says is about airplane security, and alot of those people are nerds aswell who have no idea what they are looking at.
    lol Im sure that thing definitely looks like a terrorist device to most non tech savy folks. I think if he sticks to a standard pc case i think most people with be able to identify it. He would also have to ask the security at the scanners that its in his bag and if they want to remove it before sending it through the scanner.

I am Xtreme
    to me its just not worth the risk. like i said it only takes running into the computer illiterate person and your totally screwed. they already dont like people carrying gaming consoles, and those are kinda like a ITX pc in size and weight. if you have something they can open and look inside of, then they only become more confused and worried.

a decent netbook for 400$ is a great supplemental PC, my brother has the Asus one with bobcat in it and is able to play back nearly any movie rip out there and upscale it pretty respectably (it looked no different than my tower).
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

holy depression batman

I've been running prices on laptops, my desktop tastes are really driving up the numbers.
    Overtaking inactive user stats like no other

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    to me its just not worth the risk. like i said it only takes running into the computer illiterate person and your totally screwed. they already dont like people carrying gaming consoles, and those are kinda like a ITX pc in size and weight. if you have something they can open and look inside of, then they only become more confused and worried.

a decent netbook for 400$ is a great supplemental PC, my brother has the Asus one with bobcat in it and is able to play back nearly any movie rip out there and upscale it pretty respectably (it looked no different than my tower).
    I definitely see your point. I made the point of calling, or should i say had my wife call lol, in advance and they didnt care or advise against it. I also brought a ps3 and psp. I personally would go the build route and take the chance. Its an investment so id rather have something i really want and have the potential of a little head ache than settle for something less.