Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Delays Next Generation Radeon launch to Q1 2012

Xtreme Enthusiast

AMD Delays Next Generation Radeon launch to Q1 2012

AMD are delaying the launch of their hotly anticipated next generation Radeon cards featuring Graphics Core Next Gen architecture to Q1 2012, despite previously targeting Q4 '11 for launch.

Rage3D's sources indicate that the problem is on the production side, not the design side, possibly indicating TSMC's 28nm process Q4 volume ramp up isn't enough to launch the new line up for Christmas.
    Rage3D

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Tbh, I find this a good thing(not just) for me, IMO. LOL.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

I am Xtreme
    that says GCN is coming out in Q1/12, but i thought the consensus was we only expected a VWI4 gpu to be out by year end. if so then this is not news at all
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds about right,
    1- No point in doing a paper launch, as they do not earn any revenue therefore the Christmas shopping season only works if you have volume
    2- Current gen graphics cards are more than enough for all games on the market
    3- The console port fever is not going to change any soon, therefore point 2 will remain true for a while
    4- Nvidia is also late with 28nm

BUT.. I still think they could fit some kind of refresh with either lower power consumption or more performance...
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict
    I was waiting to clean my watercooling setup with new wc for them and new rads, new clean tubes ( like that i have not to pass 3 hours to clean each parts ), but look like i will need do it before they come finally.

I will wait a 100% confirmation, as there's no link listed ( AMD source ? )
    Last edited by Lanek; 11-02-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Aussie God
    Not postponed, was plan all along...
    Repost of old news..... Which was faulty back then, too....
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Sounds about right,
    1- No point in doing a paper launch, as they do not earn any revenue therefore the Christmas shopping season only works if you have volume
    3- The console port fever is not going to change any soon, therefore point 2 will remain true for a while
    I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Not postponed, was plan all along...
    Repost of old news..... Which was faulty back then, too....
    Not sure what you heard but a Nov launch was the original plan back when TSMC was stating end of Q3 for the start of volume production. Then summer rolled around and TSMC stated delays to volume production. I haven't heard anything since then but I'm assuming the plan went from a Q4 release to a hopeful Q4 release or at least a ship for revenue so they can launch before CNY.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Current computer
    Case: Antec Lanboy Air Red
    Psu: Corsair Ax-1200
    Mb: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    Cpu: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3521mhz
    Ram: 4x 2GB Corsair Dominator GT 1878Mhz
    Ssd: 2x Ocz Vertex 3 Series MAX IOPS 120g, Os-Program + Game Install
    Gfx: 2x Sapphire 100312-3SR HD6950 2GB in Crossfire,1st of the 2 with Unlocked Shader

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doumz View Post
    the news i get out of it is they are going the jack up prices

However, we've seen with the 5800, 5900 and 6900 series that AMD aren't afraid to move up the price ladder if they feel the performance warrants the price. With the HD 6990 retailing well over $700USD, will the single GPU replacement really be in the same price bracket as the $400 6970?

Xtreme Addict
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [...] oooooooo

Oh, what the hell. For TF2 and L4D2 Llano might be enough.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds about right,

BUT.. I still think they could fit some kind of refresh with either lower power consumption or more performance...

I would argue that for BF3 (one of the biggest games atm) on Ultra + AA/AF, both the GTX580 and HD6970 aren't enough for consistently high FPS

I know a few people eager for a next gen card for this game, and not wanting to multi-GPU

I thought it was supposed to launch Q1 2012?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

That something wouldn't be fully utilized is never a good reason to slow down the progress of technology. This is an all too frequent argument around here.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    I could only wish 7970 would be as fast as 6990 like they claim. In any case I think I'll switch my 6950 CF for a 7950/70 unless CrossFire magically gets a lot better in 2-3 months.
    "No, you'll warrant no villain's exposition from me."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantsu View Post
    I could only wish 7970 would be as fast as 6990 like they claim. In any case I think I'll switch my 6950 CF for a 7950/70 unless CrossFire magically gets a lot better in 2-3 months.
    Well, for be honest i use SLI and CFX since the 6600GT-6800Ultra and CFX since the X1900XTX ( X1950XTX+ x1900xtx in my case ), in the rare moment past the 3-4 series i have need to disable my cfx or my SLI for a game who was not support it well, seriously i have never complain... why ? i have all times the fastest single cards available in single, and i get more with 2x of them ....... for be honest i have got less trouble in my life with the CFX and SLI ( who was each time overclocked to the max i can for bring scores before all , under subzero ( and i have not the money to get system for OC records and system for my games, works ) i will have got with any single gpu cards .....

Im a happy dual cards owners .... 6-7 years and still happy .... ( if not more )
    Last edited by Lanek; 11-02-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    That something wouldn't be fully utilized is never a good reason to slow down the progress of technology. This is an all too frequent argument around here.
    I agree with this. With more graphics power, there are always new ways to utilize it. Texture mods, SSAA, etc, all require more graphics power.

Xtreme Addict
    AMD delayed a product?????

Nah....can't be true
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Well, for be honest i use SLI and CFX since the 6600GT-6800Ultra and CFX since the X1900XTX ( X1950XTX+ x1900xtx in my case ), in the rare moment past the 3-4 series i have need to disable my cfx or my SLI for a game who was not support it well, seriously i have never complain... why ? i have all times the fastest single cards available in single, and i get more with 2x of them ....... for be honest i have got less trouble in my life with the CFX and SLI ( who was each time overclocked to the max i can for bring scores before all , under subzero ( and i have not the money to get system for OC records and system for my games, works ) i will have got with any single gpu cards .....

Im a happy dual cards owners .... 6-7 years and still happy .... ( if not more )
    So I bet you're going to buy two of the new cards as well? I guess it's not a problem if one updates to the two fastest cards available, but getting a budget CF/SLI is a big mistake imo. Still way too many issues with profile updates, scaling and stuttering. AMD doesn't even support CF under HD3D.

Xtreme Addict
    So I bet you're going to buy two of the new cards as well? I guess it's not a problem if one updates to the two fastest cards available, but getting a budget CF/SLI is a big mistake imo. Still way too many issues with profile updates, scaling and stuttering. AMD doesn't even support CF under HD3D.
    On this, i completely agree with you .. it's something as a bad advertisment they make believe peoples, they will get high end perf with 2 low cards ... it's true when all works well, but this is not the case when problem happend, they will sit there with just a low end card ... and with the war between AMD and Nvidia, both using games developpers for their own, sadly lately we have seen more problem of the past .

I can understand someone who have buy 2x 5770 is not happy when his new games don't work well ... something ofcourse we don't care with 2x GTX580 ... we can pass on 1 week without SLI on a particular game.

Without saying, the system used is important, an high end motherboard and PSU, and if you want good results, you want to have a good cpu power.

About 2 high end models, yes, AMD or nvidia 28nm, when they will be there... upgrade from 2x 5870 to 2x 6970 or 580 was not needed, the cost ( specially with waterblock ) was not a good compromise with the few gain i will have got. not a so bad choice as i can still play BF3 in ultra with 85-110fps average and never goes under 60fps minimum with thoses good old 5870's.
    Last edited by Lanek; 11-03-2011 at 01:19 AM.

is it really amd delaying it, amd and NV have both had massive delays from TSMC, and TSMC said no mass production until late q4
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    Foundries have 28-nm yield issues, say execs - EETimes

[Making] bulk silicon HKMG at 28-nm is hard. All foundries are having yield issues and defect density issues right now," he said, speaking along the same lines that executives at a couple of chip manufacturing equipment vendors had done a few days before.
    Johnson said that the foundries were taking the push out in demand at 28-nm as an opportunity to try and effect yield improvements. "In 2012, total 28-nm HKMG shipments will not exceed 200,000 300-mm wafers; or less than 4 percent of foundry' revenue. Shipments won't start until 2012 and its coming slower than people had previously thought," Johnson said.

Xtreme Member
    TSMC just announced last month that they started 28 nm mass production. I think Qualcomm also said they will be the first to launch a 28 nm chip. Last year AMD had made the first mass production Cayman Chips in October (week 42 chip), and they released in mid January. I'd reckon it would take at least as much time this time around, considering 28 nm ramp probably isn't as good.

Xtreme Addict
    When was the last time TSMC didn't have a delay of a new process?

Xtreme Guru
    TSMC just announced last month that they started 28 nm mass production. I think Qualcomm also said they will be the first to launch a 28 nm chip. Last year AMD had made the first mass production Cayman Chips in October (week 42 chip), and they released in mid January. I'd reckon it would take at least as much time this time around, considering 28 nm ramp probably isn't as good.
    There are a number of issues here.

First and foremost "mass production" doesn't imply large volume. It just means that they are out of the preliminary testing phase and can begin moving taped out chips through the initial phases of standardized production.

Also, due to the cancellation of 32nm and the lack of competition (Globalfoundries' 28nm is months behind TSMC) there is a large amount of pent up demand for 28nm which will have a huge number of companies vying for the same production space at TSMC.

Many of us rolled our eyes when we heard Q4 2011 for a broad AMD launch on 28nm as the process just wasn't anywhere close to ready for mass scale rollout. It obviously still isn't.

I also have to mention that something isn't delayed unless it is actually ANNOUNCED in the first place. I can't see anywhere in the official AMD investor meeting documentation where a Q4 2011 date was mentioned for these new GPUs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast