Thread: Intel, MIPS scramble to support Android 4.0 on tablets - ComputerWorld

Xtreme Mentor

Intel, MIPS scramble to support Android 4.0 on tablets - ComputerWorld

But Intel and MIPS, which compete with ARM but have virtually no market presence, are scrambling to get their processors ready to work with Android 4.0.

The OS is ready to work with tablets and smartphones based on Intel's x86 mobile processors for tablets and smartphones, Intel said this week. The first smartphone based on an Intel chip will reach the market in the first half of next year, Intel has said.
    "Ice Cream Sandwich includes OS optimization for x86, so Intel architecture-based devices can support it," said Suzy Greenberg, an Intel spokeswoman.
    "Android 4.0 for MIPS will be available shortly," said Jen Bernier-Santarini, an MIPS spokeswoman, in an email.

ComputerWorld

Seen first on TechReport

Xtreme Member
    LOL @ MIPS . Good to know they're alive.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Member
    Just need hitachi to bring back a mobile SH4 inspired chip and we're back to the good old pocket pc days.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    would this new version of android be able to run on pc's then?.. i mean providing driver support.

I love the MIPS instruction set. While I know few people work with assembly, MIPS instructions just sort of make sense. It feels good. That being said, what I don't want to see is a splintering of instruction sets if Android binaries aren't going to be agnostic or multiplexed (as some Apple applications are).
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I love the MIPS instruction set. While I know few people work with assembly, MIPS instructions just sort of make sense. It feels good. That being said, what I don't want to see is a splintering of instruction sets if Android binaries aren't going to be agnostic or multiplexed (as some Apple applications are).
    Agreed ! Gotta love MIPS

And MIPS aint death, they are well alive

Xtreme Member
    Shouldnt be too much of a problem due to dalvik. Well assuming you ignore the NDK... But to be fair due to that we already have arm6/arm7/arm7+neon binaries being made. Whats a few more to the party?

I didn't know about Dalvik. It provides an agnostic environment like I'd mentioned, so everything should be golden!
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

The biggest problem isn't the normal small Java apps, the biggest concern is the gaming space.

Quite a lot of the most popular games are written with NDK dependencies and this wont change in the future (its a lot easier to port existing C/C++ game engines to NDK than creating new versions written in non optimal Java).

Google tried to remedy this performance need using the RenderScript approach (LLVM compiled native code) but its not quite there yet and it doesn't solve the issue with porting of pre existing software.

I wouldn't be surprised if we would see some kind of package manager solution coming into play where we get recompilation of NDK source code on the backend for all targets, best way to solve the IP exposure issue would be to provide support for LLVM compiled NDK this way Google could do final stage compilation to supported targets themselves.

/Q

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    LOL @ MIPS . Good to know they're alive.
    They will be after x86 is long gone. :P

I believe dozens of millions if not hundreds of millions of MIPS controllers are found in all kinds of systems, from ovens to refrigerators to infotainment systems to satellites etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Mentor
    android has a future no reason to deny
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    They will be after x86 is long gone. :P

I believe dozens of millions if not hundreds of millions of MIPS controllers are found in all kinds of systems, from ovens to refrigerators to infotainment systems to satellites etc.
    Yes, and in undergraduate electronics textbooks and workbenches. I remember MIPS assembly was one of the most enjoyable things I was taught in the UG program. But I didnt know they also 'lived' in the Android/Mobile Computing segment. After I came across ARM , I often wondered why MIPS was needed at all. In my opinion MIPS is just a toned down ARM. And so its usage is devices that dont benefit from the extensions to the ARM uarch; simpler,low cost,application-specific circuitry. Feel free to point out if I got it wrong
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Addict
    It's great to see Android in more and more platforms, but I'm concerned about even more fragmentation.

If at least what Google said in the last IO were true. I don't exactly remember and I can't find it, but I remember something like Google telling the manufacturers (and operators) to release the AOSP in less than 2 months, then take as long as they like to release their "personalization".
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750