Thread: Can't install XP on new Crosshair V Formula

Can't install XP on new Crosshair V Formula

Hey guys,

I got my shiny new Crosshair V Formula 990FX board today and spent hours trying to install XP Professional 32bit to no avail. Everytime it got to the "loading windows" stage, I would get a BSOD. Same story if I tried to boot into my already installed XP installed, instant BSOD.

I managed to install W7 x64 without any issues, however would really like to get XP running on this board. Has anyone managed to get this going, and is there anything special I need to do? I'm assuming there's some sort of compatability issue with XP and the EFI 'bios', but that's just a guess.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed any light on the situation.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AHCI or IDE Mode? I don't have the board, just a guess. Try in IDE mode.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

Quote Originally Posted by I.nfraR.ed View Post
    AHCI or IDE Mode? I don't have the board, just a guess. Try in IDE mode.
    Yeah, that was the first thing I checked out, but I still got the BSOD issue.

Thanks for the reply mate

Xtreme Addict
    Try and disable integrated sound, LAN etc before you install XP, and see how that goes
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    I have had some recent boards that just dont work with XP as far as I can tell. Everything I tried I still got a BSOD when windows XP loads. I just moved up to Windows 7. There are some games I miss that dont work with Windows 7, but overall I dont mind the change.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have clients that purchase new Windows 7 machines either through me or Dell/HP then have me perform a dual boot installation of Windows 7 and Windows XP 32bit. The reason for this is most of my clients access systems will not work with anything other than WinXP (because the system manufacturer does not have drivers for Win7).

I sell and recommend Intel processors only to my clients so I go to Intel's website and download the latest RAID/AHCI drivers for that chipset for WinXP and put them on a thumb driver. I then slipstream them into the WinXP installation with nLite to a USB thumb drive. I then install WinXP with the thumb drive instead of a CD (only so I don't constantly burn cds) and WinXP installs fine with the proper AHCI drivers. If I don't do the above steps and just try to install WinXP I get the same BSOD problem you are referring to. I haven't installed an OS from anything other than a USB flash drive in some time but you can also slipstream the drivers into the XP installation with nLite and burn to CD/DVD if you wish.

I am not an AMD guy but would assume you need storage controller/chipset drivers for installation of WinXP just like I do on an Intel platform.
    Last edited by deachus; 11-02-2011 at 09:51 AM.

4770K and 3770k
    MVI Gene and MV Gene
    2 kits TeamX 2400Mhz 2x4GB @ 2600Mhz 10-12-12--28-1T
    Asus 670GTX DCII
    Corsair AX1200 ~ Corsair TX850
    (2) OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 ~
    Samsung BluRay Burner SH-B123L
    800D~EK Supreme HF Nickel~EK Coolstream 360~BP Matte Black Modded MCP655
    BP Mod Top V2~EK Res~Distilled Water~Silvercoils

u need to have the boot loader from vista sp1 native or windows 7 to boot windows from efi, so u need to install vista sp1 or 7 then from in windows install xp
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    u need to have the boot loader from vista sp1 native or windows 7 to boot windows from efi, so u need to install vista sp1 or 7 then from in windows install xp
    Really? I'm running RAID Option ROM so its exactly like before, but that's interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by deachus View Post
    I have clients that purchase new Windows 7 machines either through me or Dell/HP then have me perform a dual boot installation of Windows 7 and Windows XP 32bit. The reason for this is most of my clients access systems will not work with anything other than WinXP (because the system manufacturer does not have drivers for Win7).

I sell and recommend Intel processors only to my clients so I go to Intel's website and download the latest RAID/AHCI drivers for that chipset for WinXP and put them on a thumb driver. I then slipstream them into the WinXP installation with nLite to a USB thumb drive. I then install WinXP with the thumb drive instead of a CD (only so I don't constantly burn cds) and WinXP installs fine with the proper AHCI drivers. If I don't do the above steps and just try to install WinXP I get the same BSOD problem you are referring to. I haven't installed an OS from anything other than a USB flash drive in some time but you can also slipstream the drivers into the XP installation with nLite and burn to CD/DVD if you wish.

I am not an AMD guy but would assume you need storage controller/chipset drivers for installation of WinXP just like I do on an Intel platform.
    Why only Intel? Intel biased?
    Athlon II made great business machines...

Anyway, I believe either the above poster is correct. I needed to nLite my XP install to install it with my RAID array...
    Smile

I am Xtreme
    are you using full version xp?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    are you using full version xp?
    Windows xp does not support uefi based boards. Only the old tried and true BIOS. This is most likely your problem. See post above regarding installing xp from within a Win 7 install. That may work, never tried it myself.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 11-02-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Really? I'm running RAID Option ROM so its exactly like before, but that's interesting...

Anyway, I believe either the above poster is correct. I needed to nLite my XP install to install it with my RAID array...
    Well not really biased, I messed with an Athlon back in the P4 days but always been Intel ever since. I would say 90% of my clients only want Intel machines (they don't give a reason, thats just their demand). With the price/performance of Sandy Bridge I don't see any reason to look anywhere else anyway at this time.

4770K and 3770k
    MVI Gene and MV Gene
    Asus 670GTX DCII
    (2) OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 ~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post

Well not really biased, I messed with an Athlon back in the P4 days but always been Intel ever since. I would say 90% of my clients only want Intel machines (they don't give a reason, thats just their demand). With the price/performance of Sandy Bridge I don't see any reason to look anywhere else anyway at this time.

4770K and 3770k
    MVI Gene and MV Gene
    Asus 670GTX DCII
    (2) OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 ~

Xtreme Mentor
    some xp setup has inserted new drivers may install fine
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

some xp setup has inserted new drivers may install fine
    can you post link for that XP
    I need to install XP on maximus IV gene
    on air

on H2O

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by deachus View Post
    I go to Intel's website and download the latest RAID/AHCI drivers for that chipset for WinXP and put them on a thumb driver. I then slipstream them into the WinXP...............but would assume you need storage controller/chipset drivers for installation of WinXP just like I do on an Intel platform.
    The OP has said that he tried setting in the bios to IDE mode, so his problem should not be RAID/AHCI related.

However, maybe the bios setting isnt being applied or some form of IDE emulation is being made via the RAID/AHCI driver

Saying this, the OP has nothing to lose by trying your suggestion, they can at least rule out it being a RAID/AHCI issue....

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Windows xp does not support uefi based boards. Only the old tried and true BIOS. This is most likely your problem. See post above regarding installing xp from within a Win 7 install. That may work, never tried it myself.
    Continuing from the above comment, rather than it being XP does not support uefi based boards, could it be more an issue of uefi based boards not supporting IDE correctly?

I am saying this based on the following assumptions, Windows 7 is installed and using AHCI drivers, when an install of XP is done via Windows 7, the relevant XP AHCI drivers are downloaded via the Windows XP install GUI while it does its 'checking for updates' process.

IF these assumptions are correct, it would seem that deachus suggestion is the solution.

Hopefully the OP will try!

Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

R.I.P computer
    i experienced this with my mive, but figured out it was because i had it set to ahci.

I assume the xp is for benching?
    I can share one of the xp os i have.(it's really really stripped.. so not much is going to work except 2d and cpuz lol) you can nlite it and add what you want though

it installed fine on my mive, and i think it should be fine on yours too.. pm me if you'd like it

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled View Post

Continuing from the above comment, rather than it being XP does not support uefi based boards, could it be more an issue of uefi based boards not supporting IDE correctly?

I am saying this based on the following assumptions, Windows 7 is installed and using AHCI drivers, when an install of XP is done via Windows 7, the relevant XP AHCI drivers are downloaded via the Windows XP install GUI while it does its 'checking for updates' process.

Not entirely sure, I have not tried installing XP on a UEFI bios based board myself. Though I did do some research into the concept. I wanted to build a WHS on the old (non-Vail) version of WHS, which is based on the same windows as XP (Win 2003 server). The only version of windows at that time that supports UEFI bios was 64-bit Win 2003 server (or 64-bit XP) -- or so I read. WHS is 32 bit.

So I gave up trying to do that and went to a good old fashioned BIOS board to build the WHS.

That is not to say one cannot find a work around, but I have not looked into work arounds specifically.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Usually this sort of prob effects some oem systems, came across one myself.
    And usually it's the raid controller.
    It's the irq mapping, conflicting.

If it's not that then it's probably something to do with acpi and the memory map.

How to fix it, hard to say really...
    I would try the raid 1st, disable it, then try messing with the irq map.